“Great location but really bad beds”

Ranked #27 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel many times and always rated it Brisbanes' best. However on my most recent visit with my daughter and son, I've decided to submit a review, due to a change of heart. The reception/check in staff frankly, lack the class and professionalism one has a right to expect in a 5 star hotel. Next comes guest relations (calling from my room)... who take far to long to answer the phone or don't answer at all, when they do, they are presumptuous, rude, snide and unhelpful. A request for a cot, made upon booking the room, was ignored, necessitating a call to guest relations once in our room. What was sent up almost 15 minutes later, was a hard board and blanket, plus port-a-cot. I phoned back, and asked why a mattress had not been provided and was told I had one... which I didn't! No solution, just attitude and talking down their nose to customers. Choosing to dine in and enjoy the seafood buffet, we arrived 2 minutes before our reservation (first time slot of the evening), only to be told to go away and come back in a few moments... despite staff being in the restaurant and tables set. 2 minutes late and this is what they insisted, despite my having a baby in my arms! This hotel promotes itself as upper class 5 star, on the surface, but it is not backed up by 5 star service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ket72
SofitelBrisbane249, General Manager at Sofitel Brisbane Central, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Bonjour ket72

Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent visit to Sofitel Brisbane Central.

I was disappointed to learn that you felt most of our ambassadors were impersonal and that your initial request for the cot to be placed in your room was not met and the follow up with our Guest Relations inadequate.

I appreciate your constructive comments and will address with our Training Manager.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope to be able to welcome you and your family back again in the near future.

Queensland, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Ok, strange tittle for a review, I know. But let me explain. First of all, there are many positives with this hotel and I have stayed before and reviewed it positively. It has a great club lounge with wonderful staff and very good nibbles and pre-dinner drink selection and the breakfast in the club lounge is also very good. The club room we stayed in was quite small and the décor was a bit daggy in places but overall, still deserves its five star rating and the location is excellent for both business travellers and for pleasure seekers. Bed is very very comfortable and cleanliness standard was very high.

Now, to the title of the review and my issue that caused me to rate the hotel very good, rather than excellent. For some inexplicable reason, the Sofitel brand, (which tries very very hard to present itself as the ultimate in Parisian chic, even having the Aussie staff greet you with "bonjour" on every occasion) has aligned itself with the Girls Gone Wild channel. Now, I have no problem at all with hotels having an R rated adults only selection; to each their own, but in this hotel, as soon as you turn on your TV and start looking at the menu, there is a Girls Gone Wild icon right after the movie "New Releases" icon. Why is not hidden under the R rated icon so that parents don't have to explain to young children what Girls Gone Wild is all about? Also, the Sofitel management must know that the founder of Girls Gone Wild is heading to jail for assaulting women. Why, as a female traveller, do you have to look at a beyond tacky GGW icon every time you turn on the tv ? What if the icon was for say, Great Woman of the 21st Century or The Greatest Female Athletes of All Time. Imagine how much more enjoyable for myself and my young daughter to see that option every time we turned on the TV.

Have some respect for your female clientele, Sofitel, and put the GGW option icon hidden away under the R rated icon. That is, if you must continue to support a known, criminal abuser of women. Very tacky. It probably doesn't bother any one other traveller except me, so in actual fact, this hotel is an excellent choice for business or holiday makers, I just had to have my say.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank mishandcait
Bonjour Mishandcait

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback following your recent stay. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback both positive and constructive.

You have raised a valid point regarding the in-house movies and we are certainly investigating into this matter further.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you and your family back to the hotel again in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Great location with access from the train station yet noisy.
We were located on the 25th floor and could hear car traffic from Ann St below and train noise .
Sadly the buffet restaurant was fully booked , would recommend booking the evening meal at the time of your hotel booking.
Breakfast was delicious yet very very busy with a huge delay gaining access to the restaurant
Overall NOT value for money

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour susan r

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the traffic and rail noise that you heard in your room and apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you for providing us with your feedback and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards

western australia
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Had a room on 25 th floor. I believe this is a renovated room. Nice view.
Positives- front desk service was exemplerary, pillows, really comfortable bed, nice citrus toiletries, proximity to the cbd and river/botanical gardens.
Negatives- really expensive in room wifi, I agree with previous reviewer that it is so redundant to be charging for this service. You can access free wifi in the lobby. Aircon took over a day to get the room at a cooler temperature.
Overall good stay. Had a breakfast one morning which was nice. Would return for the right price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Bonjour gillg

Thank you for your comments following your visit to Sofitel Brisbane Central

I was pleased to read your comments regarding the hotel’s central location and close proximity to both Central Station and the Brisbane CBD and also that you found the front desk service to be exemplary. Unfortunately in Australia the cost for providing wi-fi is a lot higher than in other countries and we provide this service for our guests at the best possible prices available.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Australia
Reviewed August 10, 2013

From the moment you arrive here the service is impeccable! We stayed three nights and updated to Club Sofitel – definitely worth the extra. The staff in the Club area were so helpful, I have some dietary issues and they organized gluten free bread and even baked gluten free friands for me. If you are catching the train from the airport, the hotel is above Central Station – perfect! I would certainly recommend this hotel if you are coming to Brisbane.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bonjour AussieTravels64

I was pleased to read your comments following your recent stay at the hotel and delighted that enjoyed your upgrade to one of our Club rooms.

I also appreciate your comments regarding the personalised service that our Ambassadors offered to you and that we were able to assist you with your special dietary requirements.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Yours Sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Overall this is a really smart, well located hotel with great service and an awesome breakfast. It is not cheap, but it is a top-class hotel and you would not expect it to offer bargain prices.

The one massive problem with this hotel is the internet. First it charges $29 a day and then it limits the capacity with extra charges if you over. Somehow doing a few emails and reading some web pages sent me way over for both days I was there - and to give them their due the reception staff did wave the extra charges when I complained. But the point is that hotels of this caliber need to get with the real world and stop charging a spurious amount for internet connection. They don't charge for hot water or electricity and in this day and age they should not charge for the Internet.

If you are planning to stay here I would definitely bring along a 3G dongle.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bonjour Julian_Tanner

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent visit to the hotel, it is always good to receive feedback both positive and constructive.

It was pleasing to note that you enjoyed the hotel’s central location and our wonderful breakfast in Thyme restaurant. Unfortunately in Australia the cost for providing wi-fi is a lot higher than in other countries and we provide this service for our guests at the best possible prices available

Thank you once again for providing us with your feedback.