“Our second stay here.”
Review of Abbey On Roma

Abbey On Roma
Ranked #127 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Handy to transport, city and south bank and QPAC. Good size apartments for a couple spending a few nights in Brisbane. This was our second stay at this venue. We will be using it every time we are in Brisbane. Great value for money.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 31, 2013

First stop in Australia for us. We came directly from the airport to Abbey Apartments. Really tired after a 30 hour flight. So we were really grateful when they let us check in early (9 am). Then we could catch up with some sleep. The apartment was really nice! We got the Superior room, because we read that they were refurbished. We had a full kitchenette, with all you needed! Sofa area with a TV, right next to the balcony. One bedroom with a large bed, that was really comfy. Fresh bathroom with free toiletries. We also had a washing machine.
About 15 min walk to the city center. Food court close by in the station building, and a small café in the same building. Friendly staff, clean room, good value for your money. Nice extra with the pool area, even that the hot tub didn't work when we were there.
The only thing I would like was some free Wi-Fi, which most hotels/hostels have as a service today.

Room Tip: Chose the superior room, it's worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013

my partner and I stayed overnight at Abbey, and the room was perfect for what we needed. it was cheap, clean and comfortable. we stayed in a superior room, the bed was a king size and very comfortable. the staff were professional and friendly. location is great as it is just across for Roma street station. would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ajh7183
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed at the Abbey in Oct' 13 for work and did not take the opportunity to read reviews beforehand (which is generally a must for me). Now that I have endured this, I will not make the same mistake again. The room was actually a good size with a kitchenette and seperate bedroom and ensuite. The ensuite had a shower curtain (really, in this day and age) which clung to your body each time you turned. The sofa in the lounge was last seen being rejected at the "Salvo's" and I didn't even venture to sit in it due to the creamy stains on the dated red velvet cushions.

The bed was reasonable, but the pillows were hard and impossible to get comfortable on. There is no television in the bedroom, which left you to sit on the floor (or couch if you were gaim) to watch television.

Price-wise, for inner city Brisbane, this is quite reasonable, but don't expect 3+ stars, this is 2+ at best. I definately won't be staying here again and would strongly encourage others to review travellers photo's as oposed to professional photo's prior to booking.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed here as a couple with a groupon voucher, so very cheap for 3 nights. Wasnt the greatest room ever, but suited our needs being right in front of the transit centre. Close to every thing we needed, casino, pub right next door with TAB! Cool little backpackers pub on corner, friends booked a room also and they had a refurbished room which was quite OK for the price. Ours was an older room, needs a coat of paint, sink clogged up in bathroom if you ran the tap. Aircon didnt work very well either (my only negatives). This was room 402.
Overall would stay again especially if you get it for the price we did.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was scared to stay here after reading the reviews however was pleasantly surprised! 1203 has no carpet was clean tidy and had everything you needed for a great stay. Staff were friendly helpful and it offered fantastic value for money. even though no room service you can have restaurant food delivered to your door for the same price most charge for in house.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2013

First as this review might be a little long for you to read I'll summarise. Never stay at this place, it is the dirtiest place on earth. Spend a little extra, not a lot, only $10 a night extra will be worth it. Read below to find out why...
This place can only truly be described as disgusting. Upon initially entering the building it looks old & rundown. It is obvious that the place is given very little care. The floor in the foyer was covered in bits of rubbish, nothing large but looked dirty with bits of dust, food, food wrappers, thread, etc. Like it hadn't been vacuumed in a long while. I thought that it had been a busy day for the place and that would explain it, I had no idea this would be the start of my disaster experience.
Room 1206 - Upon entering the room I was confronted by lots of marks on the wall. The type of marks you would expect from people carrying bags that have rubbed against the wall while squeezing to get out of the room. I counted at least 5 different colour marks, they had been there a while. Reminded me of rented student accommodation. The floor was again covered in 'bits', and not bits that could of been easily ignored by a cleaner. Against the skirting boards I saw a mound of dust, hair and dirt that had collected. The apartments aren't too large, it would of taken 5 mins to vacuum the floor and skirting. It was only at that point I thought I should have a really good look around as cleanliness wasn't a priority at these apartments. It was then I found:

• Grime around the bathroom taps,
• Grime on the light switches,
• Grime on all the vents,
• Splashes of what could only be urine on the toilet seat and the floor surrounding it. The bowl had never, or at least in 2013, seen bleach.
• Questionable yellow stains and long hairs inside the bed sheets,
• A huge buildup of dirt under the bed. Having looked under the bed and seen a profile view of the dirt I thought I'd lift the one of single beds, making a queen, to see how bad it was. To my horror I found a condom which I assume to be used.
It was at that point I realised I couldn't stay at this place, I asked about getting another room, nothing was available. The receptionist did apologies for the 'misunderstanding', there's no misunderstanding I informed her, this place is a squat. With it being late I stayed the night on top of the bed wearing some pyjamas which will now have to be incinerated, and checked out in the morning, day 1 of 5. Went to the Oaks Casino Towers, much nicer, same price. Never will I stay at the Abbey Apartments again.

Room Tip: Pay a little bit more, not alot more just $10 extra a night.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business