“great price, just what we needed for one night”
Review of Abbey On Roma

Abbey On Roma
Ranked #127 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed October 21, 2013

my partner and I stayed overnight at Abbey, and the room was perfect for what we needed. it was cheap, clean and comfortable. we stayed in a superior room, the bed was a king size and very comfortable. the staff were professional and friendly. location is great as it is just across for Roma street station. would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ajh7183

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed at the Abbey in Oct' 13 for work and did not take the opportunity to read reviews beforehand (which is generally a must for me). Now that I have endured this, I will not make the same mistake again. The room was actually a good size with a kitchenette and seperate bedroom and ensuite. The ensuite had a shower curtain (really, in this day and age) which clung to your body each time you turned. The sofa in the lounge was last seen being rejected at the "Salvo's" and I didn't even venture to sit in it due to the creamy stains on the dated red velvet cushions.

The bed was reasonable, but the pillows were hard and impossible to get comfortable on. There is no television in the bedroom, which left you to sit on the floor (or couch if you were gaim) to watch television.

Price-wise, for inner city Brisbane, this is quite reasonable, but don't expect 3+ stars, this is 2+ at best. I definately won't be staying here again and would strongly encourage others to review travellers photo's as oposed to professional photo's prior to booking.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed here as a couple with a groupon voucher, so very cheap for 3 nights. Wasnt the greatest room ever, but suited our needs being right in front of the transit centre. Close to every thing we needed, casino, pub right next door with TAB! Cool little backpackers pub on corner, friends booked a room also and they had a refurbished room which was quite OK for the price. Ours was an older room, needs a coat of paint, sink clogged up in bathroom if you ran the tap. Aircon didnt work very well either (my only negatives). This was room 402.
Overall would stay again especially if you get it for the price we did.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was scared to stay here after reading the reviews however was pleasantly surprised! 1203 has no carpet was clean tidy and had everything you needed for a great stay. Staff were friendly helpful and it offered fantastic value for money. even though no room service you can have restaurant food delivered to your door for the same price most charge for in house.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2013

First as this review might be a little long for you to read I'll summarise. Never stay at this place, it is the dirtiest place on earth. Spend a little extra, not a lot, only $10 a night extra will be worth it. Read below to find out why...
This place can only truly be described as disgusting. Upon initially entering the building it looks old & rundown. It is obvious that the place is given very little care. The floor in the foyer was covered in bits of rubbish, nothing large but looked dirty with bits of dust, food, food wrappers, thread, etc. Like it hadn't been vacuumed in a long while. I thought that it had been a busy day for the place and that would explain it, I had no idea this would be the start of my disaster experience.
Room 1206 - Upon entering the room I was confronted by lots of marks on the wall. The type of marks you would expect from people carrying bags that have rubbed against the wall while squeezing to get out of the room. I counted at least 5 different colour marks, they had been there a while. Reminded me of rented student accommodation. The floor was again covered in 'bits', and not bits that could of been easily ignored by a cleaner. Against the skirting boards I saw a mound of dust, hair and dirt that had collected. The apartments aren't too large, it would of taken 5 mins to vacuum the floor and skirting. It was only at that point I thought I should have a really good look around as cleanliness wasn't a priority at these apartments. It was then I found:

• Grime around the bathroom taps,
• Grime on the light switches,
• Grime on all the vents,
• Splashes of what could only be urine on the toilet seat and the floor surrounding it. The bowl had never, or at least in 2013, seen bleach.
• Questionable yellow stains and long hairs inside the bed sheets,
• A huge buildup of dirt under the bed. Having looked under the bed and seen a profile view of the dirt I thought I'd lift the one of single beds, making a queen, to see how bad it was. To my horror I found a condom which I assume to be used.
It was at that point I realised I couldn't stay at this place, I asked about getting another room, nothing was available. The receptionist did apologies for the 'misunderstanding', there's no misunderstanding I informed her, this place is a squat. With it being late I stayed the night on top of the bed wearing some pyjamas which will now have to be incinerated, and checked out in the morning, day 1 of 5. Went to the Oaks Casino Towers, much nicer, same price. Never will I stay at the Abbey Apartments again.

Room Tip: Pay a little bit more, not alot more just $10 extra a night.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
13  Thank Jonnyguk
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This is the 2nd time I have stayed here. It's a great location opposite the train station. But a little bit too far from the queen street mall to walk back after a late night (for me as a woman anyway).
The reception staff are nice. And always accommodating. We parked our car from early in the morning in the under ground car park. And left it there to go shopping the next day.
I have read that there are renovated rooms but didn't get one.
I hate whinging but the rooms either need an update or a good thorough clean.
There was biscuit on the floor, pubic hair in the bath tub/shower, (the use of some Ajax in the bath tub would be good), the patio was dirty with food on the floor and old spilt drink marks, the floor in the kitchen felt yuk with bare feet, the tv had kids dirty finger prints all over the screen. It just basically needs, I guess, house maids that care about their place of work and can do a better cleaning job.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Woowoo25
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Had 2nd floor unit - fully self contained - small but very usable kitchen - comfortable - LOCATION is excellent - very convenient to Roma St Transit Center (airport, trains and all long distance coaches), good breakfast downstairs at adjoining restaurant, short walk to Ann St and shops - also handy to River and all ferry services for sightseeing. Staff helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple