“Love this hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 162 Hotels in Brisbane
Caloundra, Australia
“Love this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

We've been coming to this hotel for about 10+ years. I think we've been through 2 or 3 refurbishments. So that kind of speaks for itself. You always get friendly service, clean rooms and a great location. The pool area looks awesome with the new decking around it, but unfortunately it was too cold to swim. Next time..... We didn't eat at the restaurant this time, but have on previous occasions and it's excellent. So is the breakfast buffet. Would highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Bris-vegas.

Room Tip: Park view rooms are the better ones, but cost extra. Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with other travelers.

I will be sure to share your kind comments with our team who all ensure we live up to our motto of “Where Service Comes First”. It’s good to see our guest are enjoying our pool area since its makeover – we also believe the deck and removal of some trees and addition of open grassed spaces give our CBD oasis a special touch.

I am not surprised that you found the Walnut Restaurant excellent – I very rarely take any feedback stating otherwise.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed last weekend 29th June and had a wonderful time.

I practically holed myself up in the room for the two nights, as I was just there to lounge about. The KING size bed was so comfortable (linen was lovely too!)

As some people have commented - the rooms can be noisy, as there was a child (or children) in the room next to me that kept making noises but this was during the day so it's not as though I was trying to sleep.

I absolutely loved the 24 hour movie deal - and watched about 5 movies during my stay

The only disappointing thing was perhaps the room service. For what it is it's pretty pricey. But there are plenty of other options nearby.

I would definitely stay here again. It's location is fantastic, and it's also a great hotel just to chill out in and not move!

On top of this the rate I paid was incredibly cheap.

Great work Royal on the Park!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us!
I was pleased to see that you found your room so comfortable that you didn’t want to leave – we receive so much good feedback regarding our beds, which we view as the most important aspect of any hotel room.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you next time.

Brisbane
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

After having a terrible first experience at the Royal on the Park, we were invited back to spend a night on the house. We were impressed with the beautiful spa suite. The room was newly renovated, and one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in. Very comfortable bed and we slept well. The spa was nice too. Gorgeous views across the park and it felt like being in the lap of luxury. We felt like a million bucks. Until breakfast the next morning, that is...

Unfortunately, the main cause of our disappointment the first time was again an issue this time. Once again, they just couldn't get our room service order right. We ordered two breakfasts and we were both missing vital elements (like the bacon & sausage!). We were very clear and concise about giving our order over the phone, and the person taking the call seemed to understand it. But the message got lost in translation.

If I were the owner of this hotel I'd seriously review the staffing situation in the kitchen/room service department and general staff/customer communications.

If you are thinking of staying here give it a go because the beds are super comfy but just don't order room service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kim E
Dear Kim,

Thank you for sharing your review with us!
We were pleased to read that you found our newly refurbished suites exquisite – no expense has been spared with the refurbishment of these 5 start quality suites and we are pleased to announce that we have recently taken shipment of a large number of iPads – one is destined for each of the suites as an added bonus for our guests (free of charge of course!). Today we are also placing Nespresso Machines through all these Spa Suites so they will be even more luxurious on your next stay.

After I spoke with you on your stay regarding your room service, we did conduct a full examination of the two situations you experienced and I’m pleased to be able to advise that we have pinpointed the cause. It is by pure chance that you unfortunately received (on both stays), menus that were out of date – therefore the kitchen believed they were sending the correct dish of the new menu. We have since of course checked each and every room as well as changed our ‘menu changing’ procedures to ensure that we avoid any reoccurrence for future guests.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you next time.

Dunedin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Although rated as 4-star, this is at best a 3-star hotel. The rooms are very dark and the poor lighting tries to disguise the shabby decor. The bathroom we had was primitive - no basin or shower mixer and the mould growing on the bath was off-putting, to say the least. The receptionist was very hard sell and tried to get us to sign up to (very expensive) breakfasts by offering a slight discount if we signed up on check-in. Avoid doing so as there is a raft of cheap (and pleasant) cafes a block away in Albert St. The internet fees are completely exorbitant - AUD27 per day, which is very expensive, given many hotels now provide internet access for nothing. The rooms are quite small and the sound insulation is not great, and is not helped by the narrow corridors (noise seems to bounce around these). The only plus for us was the location - very close to town and just over the road from the lovely gradens. Overall, though, I wouldn't return and I would advise others to avoid this hotel too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MrsGDunedin
Dear Kim,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us.
I was pleased to see that you found our location good, however there certainly are aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations – and I do offer a sincere apology for this. I was surprised to see that you did not appreciate the hotels décor – whilst we have invested greatly in this area over the past two years, I certainly do appreciate that our classical style and return to ‘old world elegance’ may not be to everyone’s taste.
I’m sorry to see that our offer of a discount on breakfast was communicated to you in the wrong way – it is the objective of our team to offer a reduced rate for inhouse guests as due to the quality and selection we provide, our buffet breakfast is extremely popular with residents of the area and we encourage guests to ‘book early’ as to avoid delays or the disappointment of missing out.
If you do wish to discuss any other aspects of your stay, please do not hesitate to contact myself directly on 07 3221 3411.

Thank you once again.

Gladstone
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed as a family of 4 in a 2 queen bed park view room. The location is fantastic with all of Brisbane's shopping and nightlife within walking distance. We even walked to Suncorp Stadium from the hotel (about 25 mins). The room was excellent, being clean and well laid out. Beds were very comfortable with lovely pillows. Found all of the staff we encountered easy to chat to and nothing was too much trouble - special mention must go to Rudy in the bar/ restaurant for superb service.
Room Service was the fastest I have ever encountered (far better than 5 star Marriot amd Stamford Plaza!) - meals for 4 arrived in 10 mins and were great.
A couple of small gripes that would not stop me staying here again:-
Our room was not made up by housekeeping until 4pm - a little bit annoying as we wished to relax after a hard days shopping.
Also recieved a phone call from reception about a noise complaint relating to our room. I was woken by the call, so highly unlikely any noise was coming from our room ? As per other reviewers I found that the recent improvements to noise insulation in the rooms have been successful - we were not disturbed by either other guests or traffic - a little ironic that reception disturbed us !!
For a city hotel in this location, the Royal cannot be beaten when you consider the cost and standard of accomodation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear GladstoneLardy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with other travelers.
We do offer Brisbane’s best location – close enough to the CBD to be walking distance for everything Brisbane has to offer, but also on the fringe so we offer relative calmness and amazing views over the Botanical Gardens.
I am pleased to see that Rudy’s service was exceptional – Rudy and his team in the Walnut Restaurant certainly offer Silver Service and for your mention of him, I am pleased to nominate Rudy for a ‘Moment of Truth’ award – our guest recognition program for staff excellence.
I certainly do apologise about the lateness of your room servicing – it is very unusual and I will ensure to discuss this with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure we are refreshing rooms at a more appropriate time.
Finally – please do accept our apologies for the call from reception about the “noise complaint”. We do take the sleep of our guests very seriously and I will review the procedures we have in place when receiving a noise complaint from one guest about another guest to ensure that quiet guests are not disturbed.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Sunshine Coast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

After reading so many postive reviews and seeing what a high rating this hotel recieved, I decided to book a room. Such a mistake. The hotel itself is lovely, and the room looked great! However, it was so noisy - I had read that from one of the reviewes and it is true. You can hear the people next door and in the hallway. We got so little sleep.
Also the spa was lukewarm - it was a cold weekend and it would have been nice to get warmed up in the hot tub. When we informed the front desk they said that its the correct temperature. Very strange. I found the reception to be a bit rude, and overall I feel for the money I could have stayed at a better hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Shirley F
Dear Shirley,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinions with other travelers.

I was very happy to read that you found your room comfortable and welcoming. The hotel has recently installed 12mm soundproofed glass in every guest room to insulate against any noise from the city coming into the building. As you may see from our other reviews, we have received much great feedback about the quietness of the rooms however I certainly accept that without any city background noise, the noise from other guests may seem more apparent to lighter sleepers.
In future, we would encourage you to contact our reception team at anytime day or night if noise disturbs you as we can always find a solution when we are made aware of problems.
Finally, please do accept my apologies if you did not find our reception staff exceptional – they are usually the stars of our service and I will be sure to share your feedback with them with a view to continual improvement.
Thank you once again.

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

After originally booking into a top-rated hotel in Fortitude Valley (noisy, smelly and over-rated, and we like 'trendy') we altered our accommodation to Royal on the Park, and were very glad to have done so. Apart from saving a reasonable amount of money. we loved the park view and the proximity to Southbank, galleries, luxury shopping and good eateries. We like to walk everywhere, so this is a good base.The king bed was very comfortable, and the room was quiet. It featured curtains which crossed over in the centre for the best light exclusion. Personally, I would prefer two club chairs to a chaise for relaxation. The hotel may have a few dated touches but we enjoyed it and will return in future.

Room Tip: We only saw the park-view king room but recommend this choice; our was on the corner so did not have...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple