“Perfect location and Business Hotel”

ULTIQA Rothbury Hotel
Ranked #87 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
Gold Coast
“Perfect location and Business Hotel”
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I stayed at Rothbury for a business conference with my colleagues. The location was fantastic so close to the train station and offices. The corporate rate that we received was very competitive and worth the value of the hotel. I received a paper and breakfast basket which was great to have just before the morning conference.
will definately be back with colleagues. Staff was very helpful and allowed me to do printing and faxing from the office.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Brisbane
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. The room I stayed in was a 1 bedroom apartment on the 4th floor. It was clean, it was tidy, it was spacious, it was well equipped and above all it was value for money. I really enjoyed staying there and the only problem i had (which in the end isn't really a problem at all) was the furnishings where a little dated... think 90's.

The windows opened, but the top halfs only. Kinda hard to explain and being only 5'3 it was a task to open and close :D
The Lounges were comfortable and the TV worked great. There was a VCR and DVD player which I didn't use.

The bathroom was just that.... a bathroom. The shower had good pressure (which is important to me) and of course there was the usual soaps and amenities. Linen was nothing special but It doesn't have to be.
I do think that the towels could of been a better quality. I found them really thin but they did the job. Also in the bathroom was the washer/dryer which was noisy so don't use it at night time.
The bathroom has doors to the bedroom and the living room.

I was really impressed with the kitchen and contents. It was only a 2 burner electric stove but inside the cupboard was an electric fry pan. There was a large variety of things in the cupboard which, if you would like ask, I have extra photos have.

The was plenty of crockery and a good variety of glasses; wine, red wine, water , coffee cups and coffee mugs.

Good kitchen :D

All in all this was a really awesome little apartment hotel. It is exactly how the brochure describes it and the pictures don't make it seem like something it's not. An interesting little feature of the 1 bedroom is the bed that comes out of the wall in the living room... at an extra charge of course.

I personally stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment, but i do believe there are 2 bedroom apartments available for all the families out there.

What really made my stay special was the complimentary breakfast basket for 2 I found in the fridge. It was just enough for 2 (or just me) and was full of things like Weatbix, Nutrigrain, 4 slices of bread, 2 milks, 2 pineapple juices and all sorts of different I personally think that it was a really nice touch. The whole building is beautiful. I love the elevators and the way they have been restored. even though its only a small place it has a sense of grandeur about it. I'm told that some rooms have balconies as well.

There is a rooftop BBQ are and also an spa and sauna which I didn't get to use or look at (PROMISE I will do it next time).

Room service is pretty standard with it only appearing to be some sort of microwave meals that the reception deliver. In saying this they have a fairly extensive booze menu that you can order from.

Even though i gave this place a 8/10, and what I've said above... I recommend it to anyone that wants a nice place to stay in Brisbane. spreads.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank missjay89
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Great location but very tired and not worth the 4-star rating. May have had a room that was yet to be rennovated but very small, run down and poor service.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank karenalis
Brisbane
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Usually when i read reviews on hotels, i take them with a grain of salt, as i feel most peoples stories are over-exaggerated. I have to say i have now had my first horrible experience, i can totally related to where other people are coming from.

It started by turning up to the hotel. I found the hotel and then had to drive around the block twice as they failed to mention on their website that their laneway to enter the parking is barely room enough to fit a hyundai getz! Once we finally managed to get into the car park, we drove down a narrow alley into a tiny car park with limited security. Not secure parking, as stated on the website. I had been instructed to park, via the receptionist through an intercom, in a specific spot. However, it had been conveniently double parked by some fool in a mercedes. I was told, by reception, to park in the "reserved for gym" park, in a different park of the parking, which was less secure than the original parking.

There parking price of $17 per night is outrageous. Even though i had prior booked the parking space, trying to enter the lobby from the basement is very confusing. The whole hotel has limited signage, so getting around is very confusing. Also, if you wish to bring your belongings up from the basement you have to stop at the ground level every time and get into another lift. This is a real pain if you have a lot of luggage.

The lift itself was poorly lit, noisy, rattly, and seemed downright dangerous! Being a heritage building, i tried not to jump to conclusions and write the place off right away. Once coming to the lobby, we were told by reception they needed our car's keys while staying here. I laughed and said "hell no". Their reason for this is because of the limited parking they had available, and that they may need to move my car. A hotel with limited parking? I mentioned this was the weirdest thing i have ever heard in a hotel and they were not getting my keys. The lobby also looked very dodgy and rundown. The pictures on the website are very misleading. The whole place looked like it needed some serious tlc or a wrecking ball. At this point i had lost complete hope that this was going to be a good experience and i hadn't even seen the room yet.

Once getting to our room after a heap of screwing around and them already charging me in full before i even saw the room, we headed up to our room, hoping that things would get better. Once arriving to our room we found there was no oven and a tiny minibar fridge. The website stated that full kitchen facilities were available. We had just brought 3 days worth of food, as we shelled out so much on the accommodation. We didn't want to have to order any room service. If you look on the menu you will find a nice range of snap frozen meals. Their minimum order for room service is also $22.00.

We demanded a room with a full kitchen, which is what we had assumed we were getting, but instead; had to ask for it. We were then told to go wait in our room while they looked for a new room that had an oven. We sat there for 20-30 mins waiting for reception to come back to us with a suitable room.

At this point i was furious and started repacking the car, ready to demand a refund for the $577.00 i had paid. On our way back to the lobby, they finally found us to tell us that they had found a room.

The second room, which was much smaller than the first, had a view of the same narrow, cramped alley we had squeezed our car into to park. Our foxtel had no more than 5 channels. We still only had half a stove top, the carpet was frayed and old and looked like they needed replacing. Their was mold and rust all over the shower and dirt and grime on the floor. Not to mention cracks and holes in the tiles throughout the bathroom. The toilet, when flushed, would continue to drip water into the bowl all night. Their were scuff marks all over the skirting boards and the place looked like it hadn't been dusted for years.

The tv in front of our bed is a tiny 32cm tv (not even lcd! - the first room we were given had an lcd) the tv in the lounge room is also small (but at least lcd).

The hotels air conditioning and electricity is linked with the person in the adjoining room, so if they adjust the air conditioner or turn off their power it effects both rooms. This is great if you really want to be irritated by the people next to you coming and going; because the doors are adjoined you can hear banging every time somebody comes or goes.

After everything was going to bad i thought i would just give up and go to bed, i was so frustrated. I got into bed to find sleeping in their beds is like laying on concrete. Today i have stiff pains all over and was woken up countless times early this morning from people leaving the hotel. (every time somebody leaves the garage; an alarm beeps in the alley to let pedestrians know somebody is coming out of the garage. Which acts like an unwanted alarm clock for anybody staying at the hotel) the air conditioner is also loud and noisy and rattles non-stop. The rooms are very tiny and the chairs are uncomfortable. The '1 bedroom' is nothing more than a studio with a divider.

Overall i would rate this hotel 0.5 out of 10. Never again, if you do stay in this hotel, i feel very sorry for you. The .5 is because the free broadband actually worked and allowed me to write this review.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank d0ntb0ther
Sydney
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Thanks guys for an amazing stay we felt your service was excellent, the location of this hotel is great your not going to get any better. We both had a great nights sleep too whihc is great as some hotels are just so noisy. Thanks again we will be back. Monique Burgess

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Gold Coast
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Thanks So much to all the team at Rothbury Hotel, what a lovely place you have, everyone was very warm and helpful and it was the just the best location for the whole Family, we will be back!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I booked a hotel room. Air con was very noisy. All the hotel rooms (not suites) are in pairs with room 'A' having control of room 'B' access to air con. What this means is that if guests in room A take their key tag (in error) out of the wall slot, then not only does their air con stop, but yours does too.

The next day(a weekday) I tried to contact reception staff but it was closed and phone was constantly busy (this is around 9am). when I returned that evening (6pm) same problem. Need more staff. What about check in? Not everyone turns up at the 2pm request time.

After explaining to staff that it is very rattly and seems to switch off and on at regular intervals, the girl said this was normal to maintain room temperature (I was very cold). She offered to move me to another room but in the same breath confirmed all rooms worked like this. So to not freeze, I spent the evenings with no air con or lights on. (your power and air con come on when you put tag in wall slot).

I was on the first floor with my window overlooking an alleyway, this wasn't an issue but the 2am garbage truck visits were.

Location was excellent in proximity to CBD. However even though the room was tidy & clean, there were scuff marks inside the wardrobe wall, dry paint marks on the doona and the bathroom door handle fell off.

Wet towels that were left on the floor (as stated for pick up by staff) weren't collected.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo