“Dated charms”

ULTIQA Rothbury Hotel
Ranked #81 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed May 13, 2012

The charms of this hotel lie in its location, gorgeous art deco architecture, and friendly staff. The rooms the self are quite small, the walls reasonably thin. For the price though, they are good value, and nice and clean. The continental breakfast is a bit sparse, so don't expect much beyond a couple of slices or bread and some generic cornflakes!
The staff are really helpful and lovely, and it's such a great location, only couple of blocks from the mall. Would definitely stay here again, as it is quite handy to everything.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed March 31, 2012

I chose Rothbury because of the art deco and rooftop area. I planned this weekend to propose to my girlfriend in an intimate dinner on the rooftop. The staff were amazing helping me out with flowers, champagne and dinner.
The weekend was perfect, the room was clean comfortable and the staff were very friendly.
Was located central as we went out later to the casino to celebrate.

We will be back for our anniversary.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Stuart A
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We stayed here for one night and found the location really handy, as we caught the train from Brisbane Airport and the hotel was only 5 minutes walk from the station. However, our room was really disappointing - quite small and on the ground floor, with glass cubes instead of a window, so it felt really dark and a bit like a dungeon. The walk downstairs from the rooftop sauna felt like a school corridor and the reception was the only area that had any real charm - even though the hotel is sold on its heritage/history, it felt dated and old, rather than having character.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GFSophie
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Our room was very small. There was no room to put our suitcase so we had to open it on the one desk provided and thereafter eat in our lap whilst sitting on the bed. The only thing smaller was the TV with tinny sound. Tea bags are rationed one per person per day. The lifts are very much in need of a 100w light bulb.

Room Tip: Check the size of room before you book.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Zacuba
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I stayed at the Rothbury Heritage Apartment Hotel in November of 2011. I actually stayed in two hotels while I was in Brisbane, as I was there during a very busy weekend, and many hotels were fully booked by the time I made my reservations. I ended up dividing my time between this hotel and another, more expensive hotel, and I think I preferred this one for the overall value.

My hotel room was clean and comfortable. It was conveniently located (only a block and a half from the train station, and a short walk to the riverside restaurants.) The hotel comes with free wi-fi, and as I stayed in an apartment hotel, it also had a washing machine and a kitchenette. I didn't use the washing machine, but I would imagine that a family staying there on holiday, or someone staying for more than a week, might appreciate that sort of convenience. The room service prices were very reasonable, as was breakfast at the next-door cafe in the morning. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The old-fashioned lift (elevator) was a quaint touch, reminding you of the historic nature of this heritage building. The marble bathroom was spacious, although it did not have a bathtub (only a shower.)

There is a rooftop sauna, hot tub, and BBQ area, although I didn't use them.

The problem with TripAdvisor's ratings system is that there's no distinction between a five-star hotel and an excellent experience. This hotel is not a five-star hotel, nor does it try to be. It is probably a 3.5-star hotel, but I had an excellent experience. I got an internet special on my room, and overall, I thought it was a good value. if you're in town for business and just need a convenient, comfortable, reasonably-priced hotel in which to sleep, I encourage you to try this hotel.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank AEKBS
AnnStreet, General Manager at ULTIQA Rothbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2012

Thank you for your review of Rothbury Hotel. We are glad to hear your experience was a memorable one and thank you for recommending the hotel to fellow travellers. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 10, 2011

As I was having family stay at my home I checked into the Rothbury. The photos were an accurate representation of the hotel and the price was only $145 a night. I chose this one because it promised breakfast and a newspaper in the price.

The reception staff were acceptable but not overly friendly. On check in I asked what newspaper was available in the morning as it was important to me. I chose the paper I wanted to make sure that it would come.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. I the breakfast was delivered to our room. It was a little packet of cereal, milk, bread....little packet of jam and coffee. It was ok. No sign of the paper I so looked forward to though.

I would have struggled to read in bed anyway as the light-bulb was missing from the bedside lamp. But that was no big deal. I mentioned to reception "I think the bedside light is not working....perhaps because it has no bulb?" She looked at me like I had two heads....perhaps she didn't get it. Never mind.

Overall it was quite acceptable but I am not sure how it has made it into the top 18 hotels in Brisbane based on reviews.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank SmithersinAU

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback whether good or bad, this helps with the training processes of new and current staff to ensure each guest has a flawless stay. We hope to see you again in 2012.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

For the past 8 years I have been spending considerable time at the Rothbury as a corporate traveller. I don't normally have time to provide feedback but this hotel deserves the attention. Rothbury has become my home away from home when doing business in Brisbane. It is in a perfect location that is central to all of my Brisbane CBD clients. Their prices are always competitive and the staff are exceptional in service and attention to detail. The beds are six star in comfort not to mention breakfast is complimentary! I recommend all of my colleagues to stay at Rothbury when in Brisbane because this heritage boutique hotel is second to none.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Helen W

Thank you Helen for your review. The team at Rothbury love having you stay with us, and we look forward to working with you in 2012!