“Worst hotel we stayed at in AU- noisy and dirty rooms”

The Sebel Quay West Brisbane
Ranked #66 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed May 25, 2009

I have to say that this is one of the first times that the previous reviews on Trip Advisor let us down! This is one of the worst hotels we have stayed at in years (and we have traveled all over the world). Although the people who worked at this hotel were extremely nice and helpful (the one saving grace!), it did not make up for the other things that were lacking. The room was dated- which is ok- but it definitely needed a "deep cleaning". We stayed in a two bedroom family apt w/two bathrooms. The smaller bathroom was unusable because there was such a horrible stench coming out of the floor drain (so we closed the door). The shower in the master room- had mold in the grout and on the ceiling- and needed a good scrubbing. The doors needed wiping down (dirt marks around outlets and doorknobs) Several of the towels were dirty upon arrival- and many of the towels were so old that they were thin and had holes in them. Also we noticed that many of the towels and sheets had hairs in them. Even my kids who don't notice this stuff were totally grossed out by the room. I understand that its impossible for there not to be an occasional hair- but this was beyond that. Both of my daughters' beds had sheets that were so thin that they too had holes. Why they don't take these old sheets and towels out of circulation is beyond me. The bottom of the master bed had springs sticking out- which poked through the sheets and our feet! Also- since the windows in this hotel are not double glazed- the rooms are very loud from street noise even when the windows are closed. We were on a floor that was very high up, but we could still hear noise from cars, buses, garbage trucks, etc. throughout the night (we finally started using earplugs). We went down and checked out the pool and spa- but my kids felt the water in the spa- and the water in the spa smelled rancid so they had no interest of using the pool or spa after that. We are very forgiving travelers and don't expect perfection from any hotel- especially during these recession times. However, for the price we paid for this room- and the fact that its listed as the No. 2 hotel on trip advisor- we were extremely disappointed. One or two of these negatives would have been ok- but not all of these things! Unfortunately we prepaid for the room so we didn't feel like we could go elsewhere- but we definitely can not recommend this hotel- nor will we go back. We did ask for another room but couldn't move since the hotel was full.

The hotel did recommend Jellyfish restaraunt- which was very good. On the second night, we went to Jellyfish's sister restaraunt (also recommended by the hotel) Cha Cha Char restaraunt- which had horrible service, high prices, and so-so food. We also had breakfast a few times in the hotel restaraunt (we had the a la carte menu, not buffet) and it was quite good.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank SeattleliteinEurope

Reviewed May 4, 2009

We stayed for two nights, and we had specifically requested a high floor, which they provided us. The views over the Botanic Garden are indeed excellent. It is also very close (walking distance) to the centre. They provide swimming pool, spa and gym free of charge. The parking is quite expensive ($25 per night). We had a room apartment, i.e. one bedroom with living room and kitchen. The apartment was spatious, but the furniture was quite dated, even though in ok condition. We left quite happy with the stay, but coming back to the UK we found that they had charged us for mini bar which we never used (we always ate out or bought in supermarket, as a matter of principle we never ever use the mini bar).

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vulcan29
Reviewed April 27, 2009

My parnter and I had the most beautiful night here and will return. Amazing views amazing service,food,cocktails in the spa, the whole thing was tops!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2009

My technique of booking the highest rated places on Trip Advisor never fails.

Having just stayed at the #1 hotel in SIngapore I was expecting things to be equally good at The Quay West Suites. I wasn't disappointed.

THE big deal here, without any question is the size of the rooms. I booked a two bed apartment to share with my wife and son, and it is huge. A really good sized lounge, with a big dining table too. Good sized kitchen, 2 bathrooms, laundry room and a really spacious feel.

There are floor to ceiling windows in two corners of the lounge, and the views to the river are wonderful.

The pool and spa are excellent, though I didn't try the gym or sauna.

Also, our room, 1701 is at the far end of the building, with only a small part adjoining another room, so it's QUIET! - I love quiet.

Problems? Well the bathrooms look slightly dated it has to be said, and I still think that internet access should be provided free of charge in this standard of hotel.

Those are just minor niggles though, and I would recommend this place to anyone. As mentioned in my title, you could easily stay here for a month. Whether you'd find enough to do in Brisbane is another matter...

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2009

We - myself, my husband and our 14 month old daughter - recently spent three nights in Brisbane at the Quay West Suites. We were extremely impressed with the quality of the room and the high level of customer service provided by the Quay West Suites staff.

We stayed in a spotlessly clean 1 bedroom appartment with kitchen and laundry - handy when you travel with a toddler - and a bathroom that contained a bath and a separate shower. We requested a cot, a room on a low floor, and an early check-in, and all these requests were met by the staff. Our daughter would have a high chair waiting for her at breakfast, too, which was a thoughtful touch.

The swimming pool area was lovely, and the water heated to a nice temperature.

The hotel is in an excellent location, opposite the Botanical Gardens and within walking distance of the key shopping centres and ferry stops. We had a very pleasant stay and would not hesitate to stay at Quay West Suites again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2009

This hotel/apt suite building is located right on MARY ST. across from the botanical gardens. Our views from the 19th floor were the best we had in Australia! The rooms were in like new condition and fully equipped with everything! You can almost see Surfer's Paradise from the balcony! Awesome views of the river too! It's an easy 1 block drive (right out the front door) to M1 which takes you to the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast. Fantastic! Be sure to get up early in the morning so as to have a long day at the beach! It's about an hour drive away! Absolutely wonderful service from the hotel staff too! I was afraid to ask about the internet connection fee! Phone calls are $3 each and parking is $20/day. I was VERY disappointed in the restaurant staff. I guess they aren't at all affiliated with the hotel. These units must be individually owned (I did meet a gentleman whom said he lived here year-round as an owner). The restaurant didn't even bother to post the dinner menu even by 7:00pm. We waited by the podium and nobody showed up to seat us. We saw only one other couple dining in the huge restaurant so, we went elsewhere! There are innumerable fantastic restaurants within just a few blocks walking distance so be adventurous! In my experience throughout Australia, I've not found many hotel restaurants that begin to compare with the independent, stand-alone places. Best regards!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2009

We spent two nights at Quay West and wished we'd had time to stay longer. When I booked and was told it was a 'garden suite' I didn't realise the 'garden' was the Botanical Gardens. WOW what a view from our huge balcony, it was hard to tear ourselves away from that view! The suite exceeded our expectations, we'd read about it on Tripadvisor but even so, it blew us away when we walked in. Two flat screen TVs, lovely, tasteful, furnishings (and everything looked new). We had a laundry room in the suite and the kitchen was well equipped.The location was great and the facilities, the pool was not huge but the ambience of the pool area was very nice. We didn't eat here so can't comment on the food.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple