“I misse important business meeting cos "NO Morning Call"”
Review of Novotel Brisbane

Ranked #38 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney
“I misse important business meeting cos "NO Morning Call"”
Reviewed October 4, 2010

It was a terrible stay and experinece with my business trip and stay at Novotel Brisbane 2/10/10- 4/10/10. The room air-con was not working. It took me 2.5 hours (from 2200 to 0030) to convince the nite manager to swap me to a room with working air-con as I could not sleep in "sauna room", I had an important meeting tommorrow. Her initial comment to me was " it is not our aircon, it is just you. You should turn off the aircon and let cool air from outside comes in". What???? I never heard this kind of excuse before. Finally, I was given a room with working aircon, I requested morning call at 7am on 3/10/10. But, the call never came (they missed it) and I missed my important business meeting. I complained to the manager and I was told this never happened before and again. OK, no problem, I was given a slightly better room with a coffee machine in it. I requested monring call again at 5am (so I dont miss my flight), and guess what, NO MONRING CALL again!!!!! I will not stay in this Hotel even again even for FREE!!! NO BLOODY WAY!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank Tan168
GM-Novotel-Brisbane, General Manager at Novotel Brisbane, responded to this review, October 6, 2010
Dear Tan168,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay at Novotel Brisbane. All feedback received is always very welcomed and reviewed by senior management.

Due to the detailed feedback, I have formally responded to you by email.

Should you require any further clarification, you are more than welcome to contact me on the details provided with my correspondence.

Novotel Brisbane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 2, 2010

There was almost nothing I could fault with the Novotel Brisbane. The welcome was warm at check-in and in other dealings with the staff, the room was modern, clean and comfortable, and the buffet breakfast gave ample selection - the pastries were particularly delicious.
The hotel is located almost 10 minutes' walk from Queen Street mall, behind Central station, and it is further to the more 'touristy' areas of the city, so in this aspect is more suited to business than leisure travellers. I would certainly stay here the next time I am in Brisbane on business, but maybe for leisure would choose a hotel in a different location.
The room was very well appointed, with a large bathroom and comfortable bed. It had been recently renovated, and the only minor flaw was that the small size of the LCD TV was not the best for watching TV (including selected Foxtel channels) or the in-house movies. I could not fault anything else, however, the room was impeccably clean and fresh, and very quiet. I know that the next-door room was occupied and often noise can travel through an inter-connecting door, however this seems to have been addressed well here.
Finally, the free internet kiosks in the lobby were appreciated by myself and other guests; a service most hotels of this quality make you pay for!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Dear Sydneysider01,

Thank you for your glowing response and warm feedback.

As you mentioned in your post, Novotel Brisbane is the ideal location for either a business or leisure stay.

Thank you once again for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,303 helpful votes
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We had an overnight stay here on our way to the airport. Check in was fast and efficient. Rooms were very clean and modern but somewhat small. I had a King Room and the beds were comfortable. The room contained a flatscreen TV with foxtell. The Queen Street Mall is a 10 minute walk away. There are hotels a lot closer to the city centre but overall good value for us as we booked the Last Minute Secret Stay at less than $120 per night without breakfast. I had a sensational breakfast at Yi Cafe on Edward street for $15. The hotel is equipped with a pool. Overall a good stay in a pretty good location.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tommomelbourne
Dear Tommomelbourne,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay at Novotel Brisbane.

I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and experienced great value for money.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Brisbane.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Stayed here and overall had a great experience. However, this was marred by the head barman who, although dressed like a consumate professional behaved in a childish and totally derogatory way. On getting an order wrong, he became rude and unapologetic, instead chosiong to blame the customer who was clearly just trying to get the drink I heard him order. Not nice to watch and the head barman who spoke down to this customer deserves to be reprimanded for letting such a nice hotel down. (This occured on the evening of Wednesday 18th August 2010 at approx. 10.00 pm.)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank magpie83
GM-Novotel-Brisbane, Manager at Novotel Brisbane, responded to this review, September 16, 2010
Good Evening Magpie 83,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay.
I agree wholeheartedly that this type of behaviour toward a fellow customer is not appropriate.
I appreciate you providing the specific details of when this occured as it will allow me to address this incident with our employee.

This is not the type of feedback our hotel traditionally recieves and I will continue to work with our team to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

I am available to discuss this matter or any other concern you may have about using Novotel hotels again. Please feel free to contact me directly on h1749-gm01@accor.com

Reviewed August 11, 2010

I travel frequently on business and often stay in the same hotel in a particular city for a feeling of familiarity. The Novotel Brisbane has been recently refurbished and the foyer, public areas and rooms are sharp. The staff at reception are fabulously friendly and efficient. Unfortunately in each occasion (now the sixth time in eight months) I stay there stay goes wrong which could have easily been right. From Entertainment Systems in my room which would not after 3 attempts to fix/repair; being served 'warm white' in the bar; the mini bar not being restocked and being charged two days in succession for usage and this week being served a meal where the fish was off. In each instance as a separate incident they are excusable. The staff is each instance were very apologetic. But continually not getting it right says there is a problem. I will go back to staying the Novotel's big brother around the corner - The Sofitel. Such a pity as the foyer, bar and reception are great. But this more to staying at a Hotel than the foyer!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank noosa-ite
Good Evening Noosa-ite

Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced these issues during your recent stays.
This typically is not the type of feedback that we receive and I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss these incidents in more detail.

My email address is h1749-gm01@accor.com if you would like to contact me.
We constantly seek to improve the service and experience for all of our customers and will continue to do so.

Reviewed August 1, 2010

I was extremely disappointed with my stay at the Novotel in Brisbane.

After booking, and receiving confirmation for a King Room, I checked in and arrive at my room to find it with two double beds. Reception made no mention of the change to my reservation.

When advising reception to advise of the error, reception simply advised that rooms are allocated by request. I advised I booked a king room and received confirmation for a King room. She then repeated that rooms are allocated by request and there are no king rooms left. However, she did advise there were some King rooms but they would cost additional charges.

Then on the final day, my attempts to exit the car park were fruitless as the ticket provided by reception did not work (despite paying for all parking charges and the downgraded room). After pressing the help buzzer at the car park exit numerous times, no assistance was provided so needed help from passenger to mount the kerb and drive slowly around the barrier without hitting other walls and barriers in place.

I would not stay there again. There are too many hotels in Brisbane that do treat you right!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Stafman
Good Evening Stafman

Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor.

I apologize for your recent experience here at Novotel Brisbane.
This typically is not the type of feedback that we receive.

I will address the issue relating to the room you were allocated with my team.
Additionally we are reviewing our technology which enables us to create exit keys for the car-park to ensure that we minimize issues such as the one that you experienced.

Thank you once again for your feedback and if I can ever be of assistance please contact me directly on h1749-gm01@accor.com

Reviewed July 3, 2010

I have stayed at the Novotel various times for business and all my stays have been fine. That said the rooms could do with some updating. Ever a bigger TV would be nice. Food is ok although the standard seems to differ a lot depending on the date of your stay. Location is close to Central station but not much else. Beds are comfortable and rooms clean.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
GM-Novotel-Brisbane, Manager at Novotel Brisbane, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
Dear AusTripPlanner,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay in May. With regards to your dining experiences, myself, our Food and Beverage Manager and Executive Chef would be grateful to hear detailed feedback from you, so please do not hesitate to contact me at: h1749-gm01@accor.com. We would like to be able to ensure that your dining experiences within the hotel are consistent every stay.

It is great to hear that you usually enjoy a comfortable stay here and I hope that you will be excited to hear that our guest rooms are due to undergo refurbishment. This begins imminently and we look forward to welcoming you back to try them out!

I look forward o hearing from you.

Thank you once again and warm regards,

Hotel Manager, Novotel Brisbane