“Barely average”

Ranked #88 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
Singapore
“Barely average”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I was booked into this hotel as part of a tour package. It's well located, 10 min walk to the Queens Street Mall, heart of the CBD, and 5 min walk to Central Station, but the walk back can be a bit of a trudge as it's a steep uphill climb. The stairs ( 87 steps) known as Jacob's Ladder will cut walking time..

The hotel itself is a glorified motel, narrow corridors, basic rooms, pokey bathrooms with old cramped shower stalls and poor lighting. Worst of all is the surly attitude of all the female reception staff, nary a smile and downright rude. The young man on duty when I checked out on the morning of Nov 25 was a pleasant exception to this observation. The staff at the bar were fine and bar drink prices are reasonable. i would not go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jaytara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I booked directly with hotel instead of online and by the look of people's comments probably paid more as I paid over $150. As I was seeing a doctor on Wickham Terrace the location was wonderful and the wide panoramic view of the parkland was lovley. However the room itself wasn't too bad but the bathroom was quite run down with only one of the four bulbs in the bathroom light working. Plus they didnt have normal loo paper... They had that cheap single leaf stuff! Also there was no complimentey bottled water. Most of all I hated the fact the in house movies rarely worked, and after reading other guests comments it is a constant thing. SO WHY DON'T THEY FIX IT. When I called reception to see if it could be fixed she just said yeah its playing up but theres nothing i can di about it,,, maybe the person that starts at 10pm can fix it! The general attitude of the staff seemed to be that they really didn't care very much. I think in order for a hotel such as this which lacks in other aspects to survive there should at least be an emphasis on great service.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Bernie--NQ
darwin
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Great location if you need to go to the private hospital otherwise you wouldn't stay here.needs a complete refurb everything is falling apart even the Televisions don't work properly?channels work one minute gone the next.same as the so called inhouse movies you start watching a movie then GONE there's a bar down stairs that's licensed until midnight that shuts around 930 because there not very busy? So if you feel like a beer after 930 good luck they also take a $100 security deposit even though there's no mini bar and all the furniture in the room wouldn't be worth $100 anyway so if you want to stay in a run down old hotel this is for you PS got told it was a 3.5 star hotel i wouldn't even give it a rating prices start around $140 it is a rip off be wise don't stay here

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank michaelburbidge
Tweed Heads, Australia
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I wasn’t impressed with the snappy attitude of the receptionist on arrival – perhaps she had a bad day - and my polite request for a city view room was ignored, so not off to a great start.The room was fine, although not the location I requested.I probably could have forced the issue by returning to the lobby, but I don’t like trying to force staff to be helpful.

We only stayed overnight, and we were quite comfortable in the room, and slept well. I had read some reviews about the buffet food being good so I was looking forward to that. Because it was a Saturday, breakfast was available from 7 am but what a shock when we arrived to loud piped music and several wide screen TVs switched on and blasting into the room..at 7 o’clock in the morning!! Our request to have the music turned down took some time,but eventually happened although not as low as we would have liked. I had read about the noise issue on other reviews,but I didn't realise it would be an issue at 7 am.

The buffet and tea/coffee set up was not user friendly , and the difficulty in getting the food from behind a petition wall to a table that was as far removed from the noise was nerve wracking, and as it turned out, it was impossible to find anywhere that was reasonably quiet because all areas had multiple wall speakers. The food was quite tasty and nicely cooked, but cold by the time we got it to the table. In a different environment we probably would have enjoyed the breakfast very much. As it was, the food was consumed as fast as it could be, so we could escape the noise.

In our haste to check out, I left my phone charger behind, and on phoning the hotel that night to inquire if it had been found, I was told that the housekeeper would phone me back. When I hadn’t heard from anybody by Monday, I rang again and was told that it had been found. When I asked the woman on the phone if it could be posted to me she snapped at me that she could, but I would have to pay for it. Of course I expected to pay for the postage, the mistake was mine, but I was offended by the way I was spoken to.Some grace/politeness would have been nice.

If the staff had an attitude re adjustment, and breakfast was available in a noise free area. I probably would return because I liked the hotel and loved Spring Hill.But the thought of dealing with surly reception staff and that shocker of a ‘breakfast room’ again..no thanks.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rhondda B
darwin
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here one night with a deal from Expedia. The room was cheap but clean, had a balcony, foxtel and room service had good selection. Only fault there was some traffic noise from the road below and i could hear my neighbours next to me besides this the room suited my needs.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Buderim, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

My wife had a half knee replacement at Brisbane Private Hospital on Thursday evening. I booked into this hotel on Friday morning to give support and encouragement and took her home on Sunday morning ( as a result). The hotel is next door to the hospital.

I had first stayed at this hotel in 1966 when it was a landmark. Now it is a relatively cheap CBD hotel that offers deals on line. I bought through Hotels.com.au. Yes, it is a little old and bedraggled but it was clean, friendly and convenient. The restaurant has hearty meals at a reasonable price and drink prices are not CBD inflated.

A key advantage is car parking at $10 per day. It is limited so book on line and then call the hotel to secure a spot.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Gorokan, Australia
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed at the metro for 3 nights to attend a wedding. Couldn't fault it. The balcony in every room was a nice surprise and not being on a major road, it was quiet. 5 minute walk to Roma Street which is great if you need the train to and from the airport and 10mins to the Queen Street mall. The bar down stairs is great with out door seating to enjoy a drink and watch life go by and the food is very good. We ordered oysters for entree and they were the biggest oysters we have ever had! Staff are excellent. The taps for the shower are on the outside which is unusual but it's no drama as the shower screens are functional. We would absolutely stay again and recommend it.

Room Tip: A room on the southern side probably wouldn't have much of a view. Go the north/north west side.