“Great service, ready for the upgrade thats in progress”
Review of Mercure Brisbane

Mercure Brisbane
Ranked #57 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Returned a few years later and the hotel is definitely ready for the upgrade thats currently in progress. Not particularly clean in the bathroom on arrival.

Excellent location, nice views of the river and very good service.

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed January 27, 2013

When we arrived the greeting was warm and friendly. Got up to our floor, to find the corridor looked a bit narrow and tired. Our room also just seemed really tired, like it needs a big revamp, which it just so happens they are renovating. I am sure once the entire hotel has been done up it will look great.

Another thing I noticed about the room was how thin the walls must be. I could hear a child screaming constantly, people's conversations in other rooms and even toilets flushing. Started to remind me of my stay at the Mercure Welcome in Melbourne, when we were kept up at night by a man snoring next door. Luckily I did not notice that much noise overnight. There was maintenance going on from about 7:00 in the morning making it hard to sleep in a bit.

I don't think the air conditioning worked. No matter how much we turned the temperature up or down or the fan speed, there was no change in the temperature of our room. Also have a feeling that there may have been bedbugs in our room as I woke to extremely itchy feet & legs with little welts that looked like mosquito bites only smaller.

After checking out and heading to the airport, after huge delays our flight eventually got cancelled so we had to head back into the city for a place to stay. Phoned the hotel the moment we got our luggage back and they were able to give us a room, no worries. This room was on the 7th floor with river views. Stunning views but unfortunately it was already so late by the time we arrived and had to be awake again by 3:30 to go back to the airport, so couldn't fully appreciate this room so much. This room did not seem so tired.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in room 708 on a Scoopon deal. 2 nights for $255 incl breakfast and bottle of wine (very nice De Bortolis Sem Sav Blanc). Was upgraded to a river view room with a great view towards Southbank. Checked in early but was no drama. Reception very helpful and polite. Easy 10 minute walk to QPAC and Southbank. Less to Queen St Mall and Treasury Casino.

Room clean with comfy bed. Lots of light and power points in room. Large flat screen TV with some pay TV channels including Fox Sports 1,2 & 3. Bathroom basic but very adequate. Shower over bath. Plenty of closet space. Nice table and 2 chairs near large window and also an arm chair. Could sit and look out over Brisbane River towards Brisbane Eye.

Only negatives were the parking. $27 per day and no lift access from car park into hotel. Parking spots were very small and odd shape making parking a little difficult. No free Internet in room. Renovations caused minor noise inconvenience.

Would stay again. Great value and great service and so close to the city shopping and theatre area.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This property is Average. Decor is very old. Staff are not all trained to be friendly. There are works going on which start at 5:45am (hammering and banging). We were staying for 5 nights. And called every morning to complain. We were told the Manager is meeting with the building foreman to discuss. It is now morning 4 of the banging and I have already called again at 6:15 and told they shouldn't be doing this and the night manager is already addressing this. 15 minutes on and guess what? There is still BANGING! Looks like its going to be another long day at the conference.

Oh well, may as well pack my bags and find somewhere else to stay tonight or I may have to sleep in my meeting!!!

Avoid this place when there are other options around.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pk666au1
D'orne F, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for your review. The Mercure Brisbane is currently undergoing a full room refurbishment to improve the product we are providing. During this process we are doing everything we can to prevent disruptions to our guests. I apologise for the inconvenience this caused you during your stay and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further. Should you wish to do so, please contact the hotel on 3237 2300 or email me at h1750-fo01@accor.com

Your feedback is very important to us and will assist us in optimising our future guest experience

Kind Regards
D’orne Fitzpatrick
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Clean and Comfortable room, friendly helpful staff - Undergoing renovations ( They look great) Excellent Breakfast - Possibly the best we have had anywhere!! Large TV. Could not have asked for any better.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
D'orne F, Manager at Mercure Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. I was pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable stay. I was especially excited to read that you rate our breakfast so highly and will definitely pass on your feedback to the chef.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards
Mark Mewburn
Marketing and Administration Executive

Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is a tired, tired property. As well it should be scheduled for renovation; unfortunately they are charging prices as though it is.

I paid $270 a night for a 'corner suite'. But don't think that means that you have anything other than a wall on the corner; the windows were on one wall only. The suite constituted a slightly bigger room and dining table.

The fit out is tired with plastic laminate abounding. Think a Centrelink office. The corridors look and smell like a Soviet era nursing home.

I booked this hotel on the basis of the four stars here: really people, get a reality check. For these sorts of prices, we are entitled to so much more. This joint would not exist for a month in either Sydney or Melbourne charging the prices they do.

The location is poor, among sex premises adjacent to an overpass. Delightful, not!; although I readily acknowledge that the view across the river was splendid.

In fairness, I should say that the young man serving me on the front desk was absolutely lovely and very efficient. At least they get that right.

Would I return here? Not on your sweet nelly. It is extremely poor value for money. Do yourself a favour and get to the Balfour.

Oh, and don't think that Accor senior status counts for anything here.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Citikitty

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to inform you that we are currently refurbishing all of our guest rooms and suites and building a gym with the project being finalised by the end of May 2013.

I apologise that your LeClub or Advantage Plus membership was not duly recognised whilst you were at the hotel and will definitely look into this matter. Should you wish to discuss it further, please do not hesitate to call the hotel on 07 3237 2300 or email me at Mark.Mewburn@accor.com.

It is certainly an exciting time for the hotel and we hope to welcome you back in the future so you can experience our new look.

Kind regards