“wonderful stay and close to everything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Central Hillcrest Apartments
Ranked #99 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
australia
“wonderful stay and close to everything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

reception very friendly and helpful

rooms were older style but very large and very clean

pool, spa n sauna were great and usually all to yourself

room service a few nights and the food was prompt and yummie - but the food was even better in the restaurant when matched with great service, specials and wines

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank OZYTRAVELS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

After reading some of the trip advisor reviews of recent about Hillcrest I was a little concerned to have to be stayipng for 4 nights. However, I was quite surprised. The room was booked for 2 persons and we recieved a 2 bedroom apartment which was massive and had views over the southbank side of the river and all the way up to the storey bridge. This place would be perfect for Riverfire.
The apartments are older there is no dubt about it but they are spotlessly clean. Our apartment had a reasonably new kitchen, had been painted, new carpets, very comfortable new beds and the reno on the bathrooms were due to start next month.
Location was pretty good. 5 minute walk to southbank, 10 minutes to the botanical gardens, next door to the mater hospital and less than 5 minute walk to the Morrison hotel and other restaurants. Plenty of on-site parking.
As I said I was pleasently surprised!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Accommodation in Brisbane is increasingly over-priced. These apartments are cheaper, but not cheap. My room was semi-renovated - small but modern bathroom, old mis-matched furniture, OK bed, good quality sheets and towels, relatively fresh paint. But it was very noisy (traffic, helicopter landing at the Mater Hospital at various times of day and night) and construction site nearby. Would be OK if you were visiting the hospital or Gabba and had a car but too far from central to be really convenient, although the Maritime Museum free ferry stop is about 5 mins walk - then you have to walk back uphill. Can't really recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Bev S
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have stayed in a variety of accommodations from backpackers to 5 star resort hotels, so I understand that when you pay a bit less, you get a bit less. However, I was really disappointed with the standard of my room in particular. The room is in desperate need of an overhaul, in particular the bathroom area, tiling, wardrobe and furniture. The shower was so tiny I kept bumping my arm and butt on the walls and the screen was almost off its runners and wouldn’t close properly.

The tiling and cabinets were chipped in the bathroom and the kitchen and just very old and worn.

The wardrobe was unusually placed (it almost blocked the way to the second bed, TV, table etc) and was also very old and worn.

One of the fabric chairs next to the desk was so filthy with what looked like caked up food that I daren’t even put my clothes on it and it made me feel a bit sick.

The curtains were old, faded and dirty. The walls were thin, I’m sure I heard some action coming from the adjoining room, and at some point I thought there was someone in my room who sneezed. It must have been loud as I heard it clear as anything.

On the upside, the bed clothes were clean and the bed was super comfortable. Even the spare blanket looked clean. There was a spare bed in my room which I was able to lay my suitcase on. I didn’t have the room serviced during my stay because I like my privacy, but I was able to get some additional towels.

The location was good for me as I need to be in walking distance from the Brisbane Convention Centre. It took me between 15-18 minutes to walk each morning which I didn’t mind at all.

The staff on reception were SUPER polite, friendly and helpful and I could not find fault with how they treated me at all.

I was a bit disappointed that I was unable to get food late at night that was close by and had to order a pizza one night from Dominos! *gross* I was working long hours and it would have been nice to maybe have been able to arrange to have some groceries purchased by staff and delivered to my room so I could eat something relatively healthy late at night when I got ‘home’. Maybe a ‘stay and work pack’ containing fruit, crackers, cheese, milk, cereal and of course, chocolate!

I would stay here again, but I would probably request a different room.

Room Tip: I think its the luck of the draw with this one.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Emma W
Joseph B, Manager at Central Hillcrest Apartments, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thank you for your stay here at Central Hillcrest, the information you have supplied is always taken on board so we may improve the rooms over time.

Here at Central Hillcrest we are in constant communication with our owner to improve the hotel rooms. We have recemtly started a refurbishment programme on our bathrooms in all rooms.

On your next stay we would only be to helpfully to have items placed into your room so you may not have to order food out. When making your next booking please email us with a list of items so we can accommodate this for you.

Thank you for the good feed back on the staff, it is good to know our customer service skills are still being used.

If you would like to make booking direct with myself, please ask for myself direct.

Regards Manager
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

One of the few hotels which can house 5 people.............thats its good point. Close to the exhibition centre another good point.
Staff seem disinterested and too much of an effort to get service.
Beds are small shorter than a normal single bed in the second room the main room bed was good, even the rollout was of good size.
For 5 people we had 1 facewasher between us and when I tried to call housekeeping to no avail apparantley the phone doesnt work?
Would stay again in a hurry but its not the worst place I have stayed either for the price they charged would go to another place maybe a bit further away

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Helensvale, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

Like other reviews, it is handy for gabba or Mater hospitals. There is a nice river walk near by that leads you to Southbank.
The restaurant had a new chef during my stay and unfortunately the standards of the food went down hill, waiting nearly 2 hours for a ceasar salad!! Thai salad coated in sauce made it impossible to eat.
Level 1 room 101 was very noisy due to
the delivery lorries in the early hours, and from the rubbish shute that is next to the room.So definately a room to avoid, if you chose to stay!!

• Stayed June 2012
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Opened 30 years ago, and showing it - tired and unloved. Bed sheets didnt fit; the cheapest, nastiest cold-coloured fluorescent lights in the rooms made it unpleasant and unwelcoming. Aircon inadequate. Reception and doors close at 10 pm. Nice partial view between other buildings over the river to the CBD. Rooms are very big. If you need to be close to the Mater hospital or the Gabba then this would be a possibility but I'd look elsewhere first - the rooms are so depressing I wouldn't mind walking further. If you're after the arts precinct in Grey St I'd recommend other options.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo