“Comfortable, great views”

Central Hillcrest Apartments
Ranked #106 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I was lucky enough to have a river view room, and the views were spectacular. The hotel is a short distance from the main part of South Bank, but it is a pleasant walk. I had a problem with the air conditioning and called the reception staff, who came up immediately and sorted it out in minutes. Prompt and friendly customer service at its best.

Room Tip: The river view is spectacular.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Helen097

Reviewed April 18, 2012

I chose the Hillcrest as it was close to the Mater children's hospital, so it was in a perfect location for us. I had adjoining apartments, one apartment had 1 bedroom with a large living area and kitchen and the other was a one bedroom without a living area. After reading the reviews I asked for a referbished room. Carpets and appliances were new. As for cleanliness it was ok except for the kettle. There was so much brown muck in the kettle that I wasted an entire bottle of vinegar descaling it. The kitchen was fully equiped and this was very handy as we cooked most nights. The rooms were serviced daily, if required, so we were able to get fresh towels when requested. We travelled with another family and their room had a laundry whereas our room did not eventhough it was the same size room. We travelled with children so having access to the laundry in the other room was handy. There was a communal laundry on our floor but if you want a room with a laundry I suggest you request one. There is no free internet but it's available at a cost. Southbank is about a 5 minute walk. The walk along Southbank is lovely and great for kids. There are public pools set up like a beach and different sections with varying depth so it caters for all ages. There are approximately 3 playground areas along the way. I would suggest that you search for the cheapest price if considering the Hillcrest. I paid significantly more than the other family we travelled with. I booked our rooms directly with the hotel and although the rooms were fine I thought it was not value for money. The other family booked through via an airline site and paid almost half the price I paid and they got the better room.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I stayed here 3 nights. The rooms were ok, but the 'kitchen area' was not what I expected. A kettle, with cups and a fridge etc. No sink.
Anyway the hotel I thought would be good place to stay as near to where we needed to get our transfers to trips. No it isn't as it's right out the way. It's in the middle of no where, there is a mac donalds 10 mins walk away. We went there for the free wifi as the hotel wifi you had to pay $30 plus for a 24 hour period.
The hotel food did not look nice. Looked liked been sitting there for 3 hours or more... $30 for not much choice each.
If I stayed in Brisbane again, I would go more near the town centre.... Otherwise u pay out more getting from places.
It was clean the room, and ok
The reception desk not very friendly...

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Elainepeachy
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Have stayed here many times in the last ten years primarily because of its great location. However on my most recent visit I arrived to find that they had made an error with our booking and instead of a twin room they had given my teenage son and myself a double room. When I pointed this out to the receptionist she was extremely rude and only grudgingly changed our accommodation even though the error had been theirs. Then on reading the literature provided in the room re Specials Available , I discovered that breakfast packages were available for the type of room we were occupying despite being told initially when I booked the room that there no packages available. So I again approached the same girl on reception, who again grudgingly changed the booking. Thankfully by the time we checked out next morning another staff member of much more pleasing disposition was on the desk.
Overall the rooms are quite good and spacious, and the river views worthwhile. Will stay there again despite this bad experience purely for convenience sake.

Room Tip: Enquire if there are specials available which include breakfast packages. These are very good value...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2012

The adjoining appartment dividing door was left open (literally) between apartments. Luckily the neighbour was not in at the time, we had to phone reception to rectify the probelm.
Mould in the shower, glass shelf in the shower was just about to fall off the wall.
The mattress is too old, sagging and unsupportive.
No hard wired internet option.
No power point near the desk/table.
Ventilation system was very noisy and disrupted sleeping.
Noise from a guest laundry can be heard inside the room.
You need to manually lock the appartment door. This is a poor setup given all other places we have stayed at have trhe default setting of always requiring a key for access.
The TV settings need to be locked. A previous occupant set a wakeup alarm on the TV for Sunday 6am!!!

Room Tip: Room 606, the guest laundry is outside the fornt door. A sign states that when in use, for the door...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael4067
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Stayed here on recommendation of a work colleague as being within walking distance of the Gabba Cricket Ground which it is. Access by road from the south was also easy and convenient. Carpark requires security to enter, a welcome feature. Booked a "deluxe room" at extra cost expecting one of the advertised refurbished rooms. We were able to check in and park under cover from 11.00am which was very useful. On arrival in the room we found two little notes, one advising that the building air conditioning would be shut down for 2 hours the next morning, and the other that the pool area would be closed Monday for brickwork cementing. This didn't worry us, but could have annoyed some staying over on a 31 degree hot summer's day. Whilst the bed was comfortable and Unit 106 had a flat screen digital TV, the unit and bathroom were dated. Shower wall tiles were stained and there was a damaged light fixture in the bathroom. Water from the shower drained out of the recess to a single floor waste in the middle of the room making it difficult to avoid a wet floor in the main area of the room as well. We were more concerned about a cracked power point, proud from the wall and with plenty of dust visible behind it. The make up mirror appeared to have been mounted incorrectly so it had to be held if attempting to use it. When we arrived back from the cricket we found there was only one bath towel between the 3 beds. The office closed at 8.00pm on a Sunday night and we were wary about ringing for service, as there was a statement in the room that ringing for the security code after hours would incur a $50 charge. We were told when checking out that there was a housekeeper on hand and we could have rung without charge. Wifi was available but at extra cost. Needless to say we have availed ourselves of the supplied "How did we rate form" This premises is in an excellent location for accessing the Gabba and Southbank with its attractions but we would only stay again if we could have a refurbished room.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one of the refurbished rooms. Make sure you take the security code number with you...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I booked Hillcrest on Wotif a 1 bedroom apartment with a riverview. It was to celebrate my husband's 29th wedding anniversary and also we had some business affairs to attend too. On arrival the receptionist was polite but not very friendly - she was efficient in checking us in and when I went up to the apartment there were no riverviews - we looked straight onto another apartment block. If you leaned over the balcony really hard you could see a glimpse of the river around the corner. I went downstairs and politely told the girl that was there another unit with better riverviews as it was for a special occasion - she very abruptly gave me another key and with the comment that you could still see the river so what was your problem. I proceeded to check out the other unit which was much better with riverviews as stated. Overall the unit was clean and modern - unfortunately the weather was lousy as it rained day and night for the whole 5 days we were there. On leaving we noticed the dishwasher didn't work as the door wouldn't close properly. We mentioned it to the housekeeper in the corridor who was absolutely delightful and said she would take care of it. I asked if she would like me to manually wash up the dishes, cups etc but said no problem she would attend to it. On departing I mentioned it to one of the girls regarding the dishwasher and was told very abruptly that she was aware of it and didn't have to inform her again. Overall the reception staff seem to be in their early to mid 20's and definitely have an attitude problem. I would recommend this hotel for convenience to the Mater Hospital and closeness to southbank. The rooms were fine and the common areas on the ground floor were fine in appearance and cleanliness, but the staff need to be a little bit more obliging and a smile certainly wouldn't go astray.

Room Tip: The front rooms with the riverview/building views have the freeway below and is extremely noisy. Had...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple