“Very Poor”

Ranked #49 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
Sydney
“Very Poor”
Reviewed January 7, 2009

This hotel is a 5 star hotel however upon arrival you'll realise its probably about 4. The porters are not helpful, when I arrived the porter just looked at me and said hello however failed to help me with my 3 bags. The receptionist was extremely rude, I had booked the hotel room through their website however there was no records of my stay. My room was very small much like a motel room, the bed was very soft which I sank into when sleeping which gave me the worst back pain. I requested another room however they said they were full even though it was January and occupancy rates is often low at this time of year. On Friday night there was a band playing nearby the hotel, there's a bar opposite the hotel, it was so noisy and they played until 3am. breakfast was not included but thats OK cause the breakfast was terrible. The wait staff have no idea what they're doing, I asked for a cuppacino but got a flat white with choclate on top and the cutlery were very dirty. The staff are very much rude and incompetant of doing anything right. My room was never cleaned, it wasn't until I left that I found out that some rooms don't get housekeeping service. Security is also a problem, while I was there 2 rooms got broken into as there is simply no one at the hotel. There is about 2 employees that work at night and anyone can simple walk into the hotel as there are 2 entrances. Very poor hotel I will not be returning.

• Disliked — Staff and hotel room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank tigerinme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 24, 2008

Went on a Sunday night romantic getaway as a chance for a nice holiday for my partner and I in my home city.

Stayed in a delightful Premier Parlour overlooking the river - tastefully and elegantly decorated room that was sympathetic to the exterior of the building. The room itself was lovely, with a well stocked and well priced mini bar, comfortable bed, marble bathroom and inspiring workspace.

The concierge and hotel staff were incredibly helpful, arranging swimming pool arrangements with the Hilton down the road (the Conrad does not have a pool), extending valet parking and allowing for a midday check out.

The building (Lands Administration Building) itself is beautiful, as is the Treasury building, and well worth a leisurely wander around.

Top marks.

• Liked — elegance of the building
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveloctopus
Martigny, Switzerland
Reviewed November 22, 2008

We had an overnight stop over in Brisbane on a recent trip to Australia and chose the Conrad based on other reviews in TA. We were delighted with the hotel. It is a lovely old building and the rooms are large with very high ceilings. It had all the amenities we needed and we spent a comfortable night.
The location of the hotel in downtown Brisbane is perfect for tourists. It is a blockor so from the Queen Street Mall - shopping - and just across the river from the South Bank where there are concert halls, restaurants and a swimming pool.
We ate dinner at the Casino's Marco Polo restaurant (part of the hotel, but next door) and had a lovely meal there.
I did note one thing in another review of the Conrad - someone mentioned that there was onyl one lift, and this was old and kept people waiting. We found two very modern, new lifts that worked very fast and we never had to wait so that was not a problem. In fact we did see an old lift that was marked "Not in Use".

• Liked — The quality of the accomodation
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hambagahle
cairns
Reviewed November 8, 2008

We have stayed here on a number of occassions and each time have enjoyed our stay. If you appreciate heritage buildings, excellent service and good location I would recommend this hotel. Love staying here.

• Liked — Heritage building situated on the Brisbane River and close to everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank puppygirl88
virginia
Reviewed November 3, 2008

Finding a nice hotel in aus/NZ can be hard as the star ratings are usually grossly inflated
this hotel though lives up to its 5 star billing. good food, good service, good room.
would stay again

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank traveldaddy_8
England
Reviewed October 13, 2008

Firstly, I had a totally excellent experience throughout my stay at the Conrad – room, staff, bars and restaurants are faultless. Then it all went pear-shaped when I arrived at Brisbane International Airport to find that the hotel hadn't put my luggage into the taxi. Luckily, it was Sunday morning - any other day and I would have missed my flight.

So check for yourself - don't take their word for it...

Still - a brilliant hotel!!!

• Liked — huge rooms - 18' ceilings, very quiet
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Fleabane
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed September 19, 2008

The greeting at the front door was very welcoming and friendly. The room which I might add was on the 4th floor ( a previous review mentioned the 4th floor was disapointing, being as we had nothing to judge it by we were well impressed, so those in the lower rooms should be in for an exceptional treat) was beautifully furnished in decor perfectly fitting for the age of the hotel. The room was fault free in it's exceptional cleanliness, I have never been in such a clean hotel room. The beds were the most comfortable I have ever slept on (better than my own), the linen, blankets and even the bedspread were of the best possible quality and exceptional cleanliness. The bathroom was sheer indulgence with it's Marble interior and fittings to suit it's era. I could not fault the room in any way. The entry and hall ways were well presented although a little dark but this is to be expected from the design of the buildings back in it's era. The only one thing I thought was a disapointment was the fact that all of the downstairs greeting area, beautiful big lounge and it's big wide hallways lacked atmosphere, these areas would benefit some background music of it's era, maybe in the evenings a pianist playing a grand piano because this lovely hotel reminded me of the movie 'The Great Gatsby' along with the faultless decor and cleanliness makes this hotel exceptional.

Stayed August 2008