“If you like old worlde decor this is for you”

Treasury Hotel & Casino
Ranked #51 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed December 18, 2012

This hotel is classed as 5 star and it is certainly that. The rooms are spacious especially for an inner city hotel. Some of the rooms have balconies and that is wonderful. Service is excellent however this is an off shoot of the casino so the main cafes, bars and restaurants are in the casino itself. Having said that, the casino is only a short walk away across a park. The only thing I did not like was the old worlde decor. However that is a matter of personal taste and it is certainly in keeping with a heritage building.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed for one mid week night at the Treasury Hotel in a run of house room at a cost of $279. We were allocated a king size room on the top floor with a balcony on arrival. The room was fantastic, tastefully decorated, comfortable, with a luxurious bed. The bathroom was beautiful featuring marble and a huge tub. The staff throughout our stay were extremely helpful and friendly and made us feel very special. I mentioned that the trip was my husbands birthday gift on check in, and later that day we found a card and bottle of wine in our room. Lots of special touches to make you feel welcome and special.

Room Tip: Run of house room was best value. Balcony room has a great view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband surprised me for my birthday with a 4 day trip to Brisbane to be with close friends and as a further surprise booked us all in for a night at the Treasury Hotel for the Saturday evening directly through the hotel. On arrival the hotel swiped his debit/credit card and put a hold on $838 for both rooms, this amount was in our account however we could not access it while it was on hold. I believe this was done as it is not a straight credit card (and we do not own one) although at the time I believed it was payment for both of the rooms as well as a 'bond' of sorts. Given the cost, my expectation of the room was enormous at that point. I later needed to transfer more funds into our account so we could still enjoy the evening. My husband asked the girl at the desk if there was any chance of an upgrade (which we were happy to pay for) and after 10 minutes of waiting for her to discuss this in a back room with some unknown person, we were advised that they were full up and no upgrade could be provided. During this time, not one staff member asked or offered to take our bags up to our rooms. The rooms were neat, clean and comfortable but nothing special and we spent the night out on the town returning later in the evening. The next morning we needed to leave earlyish as we had a return flight to Melbourne for 12 noon and we had a breakfast at the hotel restaurant and soon after my husband paid the bill of $638 for two rooms plus $88.60 for breakfast for four and we left. Checking in took us 25 minutes, checking out took us 5 mins. We were the only ones at the desk on both occasions. On the Tuesday after the weekend, I went to a shopping centre and there was some difficulty with our account when it came to making a purchase. I checked the account and found that there was still a hold on the original $838 'held fee' and the $741.13 payment had been withdrawn on the account as well. I contacted the hotel directly and was advised by the person on the phone that this money could be held for up to 10 days however she would send a fax confirmation to the bank to release the funds and forward this fax to me via email. She then advised that my 'issue' would be with the bank, not with the hotel. I received this confirmation on the next day (not immediately) and still the funds were withheld in our account. I went to the local branch of my bank with a copy of the fax and the helpful girls there had my money returned to my account in about 10 minutes. Overall, running around to fix this 'issue' took the shine off my surprise weekend and the haughty and abrupt behaviour of the staff at the hotel that I encountered (face to face and on the phone) further detracted from our experience. We will not stay there again and we will advise all that we know to steer clear.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank wishtravelwasmyjob
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I had always wanted to stay at the Treasury as it is such a glorious building, but somehow it just missed the mark. Firstly we went to the wrong building, the casino building, but a very nice receptionist checked us in and a porter carried our bags over to the main hotel building.

The communal areas of the hotel were beautiful, all decorated for Christmas with tasteful trees and lovely floral arrangements with a little bit of holly amongst the Australian native flowers. Our room was smaller than I had expected and any view of the river was obscured by the stone balustrades outside. The air conditioning did seem to be struggling as our room was not as cool as the communal areas. The room was quite dark as the old original window in our room was not large, I suppose this is the trade off for having an old building converted rather than a purpose built hotel. The bathroom was a marble dream, just the thing for a hot summer all that lovely cold marble. I loved the fact that there were plenty of plugs, for hairdryers and straighteners by mirrors, one near the kettle, one on the desk for the mobile phone charger, very well thought out and not something that you often find. Enjoyed the quality biscuits with our cup of tea, very nicely done tea tray and loved the chocolates with the turn down service. The bed was a dream and fantastic sound-proofing on the windows because we were not aware at all of the city traffic, so slept well. But we really missed not having a pool on the hot days.

We did not have breakfast in the hotel because we thought the price was rather steep. We did enjoy meeting friends in Ryans on the Park and thought it had a lovely atmosphere.

All the staff we came across from the maids, porters to the front desk staff were delightful and couldn't do enough for you, so 10/10 on your staff training.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2012

What a gorgeous hotel - definitely worth the splurge. My hubby and I stayed here for 2 nights in November and we had done our research...I'm so glad we stayed here. The location could not be better - right on the water, right in the heart of the CBD - within a 5 minute walk of a major train stop (Roma) and 10 minutes walk of several ferry docks, the South Bank and the Brisbane Wheel. The service was amazing, we were always greeted by our names, the bellmen offered us complimentary water bottles (much needed on those hot/humid Brisbane days!) and a complimentary umbrella on a rainy night. The concierge and front desk staff were super helpful and friendly. We never ate in the restaurant so I can't review that, but room service was delicious.

The casino is in a separate building across the park so there's no worries about casino noise or craziness. The hotel is nice and quiet/peaceful.

Our room was huge and beautiful, the ceilings are so high and the decor is gorgeous. We felt pampered by the turn-down service, the robes/slippers and a soak in the huge tub. This is definitely worth the money - not a budget hotel by any means, but we got what we paid for.

Room Tip: Room 304 had a view of both the water AND the casino across the way - GREAT views!
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed on a Saturday night. From finding our way from the car park via 2 seperate lifts to walking via a long smelly carpark walkway to finally finding the reception area was not a good start. The checkin was pleasing as were the staff, except for the housemaid that did a quick knock on the door then barged in to do a turn down, except we were having a rest at the time getting ready for a big night. Could have easily told her off but just couldn't be bothered. The room was nice enough with all the expected bits and pieces. The whole place and experience was simply bland. No life in the place, dank and dark. But I guess it's the old buidling they are trying to keep. Expensive for what it was. Couldn't open the windows or doors although the door lead to a balcony. The bed was comfy and the standard toiletries. We wouldn't stary there again as simply to expensive and no atmosphere. Maybe more suited to oldiesor something.

7  Thank Etonbeach
Reviewed November 27, 2012

If it's quality and comfort you want then this is the hotel to stay at. Excellent position for everything brisbane has to offer including the Queen St. mall, Citicat ferries & Southbank right at your doorstep. The staff were absolutley amazing. My elderly father had a fall outside the hotel in the park and my mother brought him back to the room to rest. Within 3 minutes of them returning one of the staff was at the door to make sure he was ok. They had tracked him on the CCTV and were very concerned. After checking him and leaving, he returned with the duty manager about 5 minutes later to double check that he was ok. It was my wedding day and the staff even let my sister valet park her car for the day even though she wasn't staying at the hotel which was a very nice jesture. Awesome service and care shown by the staff. The rooms are very comfortable in a heritage building so the decor suits. A bottle of wine and a congratlations card was also in the room when we checked in. Made us feel very special. Value for money is excellent and well worth the little bit extra for a special nights stay in Brisbane. Well done team!

Room Tip: If you can afford more, spend it, you won't be dissappointed. But even the standard rooms are be...