“loud 'club music' until 2:00a”

Treasury Hotel & Casino
Ranked #47 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed July 27, 2011

rooms are ok, but the loud music shaking everything in my room until 2:00a (and I was on the 3rd floor) was not great way to spend night before a 7:00a meeting.

NOT recommended for business travelers!

Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Kurt S

Reviewed July 26, 2011

Travelled with family including a person in a wheelchair. When staying in this hotel we always request a room with wheelchair access. The room we get is very spacious, the bathroom is wonderfully extravagant and the staff always quietly courteous. Beds very comfortable and we always feel as though we have all been pampered during our break. The staff are quick with a generous 'hello' especially the gentlemen at the entrance. Makes for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Stayed here for a few days in June of 2011, and we overall enjoyed our stay. The hotel is actually a refurbished building that used to be their treasury building until it was moved elsewhere. Overall, I found the hotel's decor to be very conservative and accurately reflects the building's roots. Although, as an individual who prefers contemporary decor over traditional conservative, I found the hotel to be a little boring... but... that is my own personal opinion.

We stayed in one regular room and one suite, and we found both of the rooms comfortable, clean, and well fitted. Water pressure and temperature was great (a concern I have for older buildings), and the staff were very pleasant (except for the casino bouncers, who I found arrogant and quite rude... although I know it's their job, they could do it a bit nicer considering we're paying their paychecks, not the other way around lol).

The only downside is that the internet access is extremely expensive in my opinion, but I am starting to realize that all hotels in Australia seem to be expensive when it comes to internet connectivity (perhaps they don't have the volume needed to achieve economies of scale, who knows); it's about $25 AUD per day to connect, there is no in-room wifi, and although they told us that there is supposed to be free wifi in the lobby, the connection was pretty much nonexistent and nobody was able to really help out with that.

Overall, the hotel staff were pleasant, the housekeeping was thorough, and the rooms were clean and tidy. Would recommend to anyone who has a taste for conservative decor and an appreciation for the building's heritage. And hey, if you like to gamble, that's a plus as well.

Notes: I don't think there is a pool, and I believe parking is only free if you gamble a lot and have their black card. But it's location is prime, so don't even bother renting (or hiring) a car if you're a tourist, walking and cabs are the best options.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank justpumpitlouder
Reviewed June 23, 2011

The Hotel is housed in a period refurbish building, the staff from the Doorman, Receptionists and Waiting Staff are all very friendly and helpful.

Although a 5-star Hotel it is starting to show wear and tear in the public areas and is in need of a make-over, the rooms are large and well designed and furnished with nice bathrooms.

The Restaurant food is very good and the staff very knowledgeable about the food and how it is prepared.

We did not use the Casino, so cannot comment on that facility.

There is no on site parking, albeit Vallet Parking is available at a charge, which is expensive.

There is Wi-Fi internet, but again at a charge which is expensive and so in excess of the real assocaited cost.

Overall our stay was very pleasent....

One request of the Hotel, consider closing one of both of the main doors, in June the weather in Brisbane is not great and the public areas were very cold.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fish-and-Steak
Reviewed June 9, 2011

This hotel is in the perfect spot for shopping, dining and on a Wednesday there is the added bonus of a food market in the square right outside the entrance. The Porter is so helpful, nothing was a bother for him and the BED . . . absolutely the most amazing bed, we just didn't want to get out of it.

Our room looked out over the river and Southbank, it had a balcony of doors both sides but unfortunately they were locked. We asked for them to be unlocked but apparently this could not be done. Such a shame as this would really make it truly beautiful.

Would love to go back and stay here.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2011

When I checked in, they tried to put me in this hot and stuffy room that looked dusty with dirty carpet and overlooked a neighbouring building's 'heritage' rusty metal roof. I've stayed in 3 star hotels that felt nicer than that room.

I was not impressed so I tried to checkout straight away only to be told that I would be billed for one night. So I thought I might as well stay and checkout the next day. They did, however, managed to find a nicer room that looked like it could belong in a 5 star hotel with a view of the courtyard and gave me free breakfast and parking. I still checked out the next day though.

They had issues with parking arrangement for hotel guests who did not want to use the valet service. One would have to get their parking ticket validated each time one wanted to go for a drive around the city.

And the casino wasn't much of a place either.

Room Tip: Maybe its worth a try just for the experience...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Willss
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We booked a night here to celebrate our 1 year anniversary, and I have to say it was a little disappointing.

We expected it to be a beautiful, grand hotel with top service and facilities, and paid $350 AUD for the privilege, but sadly it didn't fulfill expectations.

The Good - the hotel and rooms are very grand and old (in a good way) and the beds are very comfortable. The location is also unbeatable. The reception staff and concierge was also wonderfully helpful.

The Bad - 1) after a day's sightseeing, there was no swimming pool or terrace on which to relax in the sun. Our room had no balcony either, and so really, there was nowhere to sit and relax after a long day, other than being in the room. Strange in such an 'outdoorsy' place as Queensland! And something you might expect from a 5 star hotel!

2) The doors were locked at around 10pm ish? (not entirely sure of the time) but by the time we got in just before 11pm, the hotel was locked up, and you only had access with a swipe key.

When we got in, the hotel was deserted, just one cleaner vacuuming the carpets and the reception appeared to be unmanned (not sure, maybe there was somebody, but we tried to ring, call out - and nobody came). We wanted a nightcap (as it was our anniversary), but were told we had to walk back to the casino, the bar was closed. Surely a bar should be available for guests to have a quiet drink?

On reflection, I wouldn't pay $350 again to stay here - it was overpriced and the facilities just weren't that good.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple