“Great location, great price, little old”

Great Southern Hotel
Ranked #79 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The staff were very friendly and professional and the rooms were very comfortable. The mattress was unbelievable! Fantastic night's sleep :-) I should note that it is looking a little run down, especially the pool and gym area, but given the very reasonable room rates, I think it is well worth the money to stay there.
I needed directions to meet with friends at a restaurant and again found the staff very helpful, and even included writing the directions onto a map for me.

I will be in Brisbane fairly regularly this year and will certainly try and stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room facing the pool area rather than the street.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Bruce W, General Manager at Great Southern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Thank you for your review, and we look forward to seeing you back here. Not sure how you booked, but booking direct to our web site will get you the best rates. We are entering a fairly busy time of the year so be sure to book in advance if you are coming for business.
See you back here soon, and thanks again for the kind words.

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here while the hotel was ok the service from the front office manager was horrible. I am an accounts manager at a hotel I have been for 10 years.

I had no expectation that we would be able to check in early but I did think it would be ok to store our luggage and park our friends car for 1 hour until our room was available.

The manager stated several times that the room wasn't ready and would be until 2pm I said this was fine and requested to store our bags and car until the room was ready he refused as said we could fine parking somewhere on the street. I asked if he knew of a car park area that would be vacant he said just drive around till u find one.

I thought that was rude I can understand maybe you have had some dodgy people staying who have abused the car parking but at least know of places we can go. I was also frustrated that he did not look at me once just kept looking around like a paying customer wasn't important enough for him.

On check out it was the same thing no eye contact, no acknowledgement that u mattered just a "your cluttering up my lobby" feeling.

Otherwise the other staff were lovely and helpful the hotel is reasonably good a tad expensive for what u are getting but the location is good, however I won't stay here again after my experience with the front office manager.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank lexif
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The staff were very friendly, obliging and happy. I have not been to this hotel since it was called The Bellevue, many many years ago and recognised it immediately.
We asked for a room with a view of Southbank and were upgraded at a cost of $20 which is ok however considering the low occupancy, I thought it could have been complimentary.
The car park is an additional $20 which I had read about on trip advisor not on their web site.
Very convenient location for the casino and CBD, Southport and City Cat.
The room was clean and comfortable if not a little out dated. Some maintenance is needed on the bathroom door and the toilet.
All in all the hotel room served our purpose.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the ferris wheel at Southbank. It is beautiful in the evening.
1  Thank Janelle E
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Nice an close to everything. Room is clean and spacious. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Carpark was suitable for a quick stay, however having to get staff to let you in and out all the time my be annoying if you were staying for a while.

Room Service was a bit overcooked, but still had nice flavour and was quick.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Arriving at midnight, tired after a flight from Interstate, it was lovely to be greeted by a very bright and smiling gent at reception. We were given an upgrade to level 14 overlooking the river, amazing view. The room was inviting with mood music and low lighting on. We stay in Brisbane quite often and the price was value for money as opposed to other accommodation we have stayed in. I am extremely anal about my bed and pillows and found it to be very comfortable slept well. Left breakfast on the door after midnight and it was seen to and delivered within the time window selected. Only comment here was that the hot breakfast was not very hot, but the food was 9/10. I will stay here again as it is close to my work and transport.

Room Tip: Level 14 is a must
1  Thank Lynne H
RendezvousBris, General Manager at Great Southern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for your reveiw, and do make a request for a specific room when you are next back here at Rendezvous Studio Hotel Brisbane. We always try to accommodate those requests, if we have the rooms available. If you are making your booking directly just remind us that you have stayed before. !
We look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Recently my husband and I had a 2 night stay here; found reception staff polite and helpful; our room was dark (weather was not great though) - view of high rise buildings only; facilities very clean and adequate; a trick to find the air con switch (on the wall between the bed pillows) thank goodness as humidity was high. Thankyou for providing such a great bed - a SK, we expected a K, sleep so important when travelling; ate in dining room - meal - good presentation and tasted just as good - friendly staff again. Location good for us first timers staying in Brisbane City - easy walk to Mall, Botanic Gardens a good relaxing walk.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the river if staying more than one night
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
RendezvousBris, General Manager at Great Southern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

delighted to hear about your stay here at Rendezvous Studio Hotel during our very hot summer. Next month we are fitting the hotel out with new air conditioners throughout the hotel, so not only will it be cooler it will be easy to find the controls. !
We look forward to welcomng you back if you travel back to Australia in the future. We are expecting an influx of English guests over the next month following the British Lions as they tour Australia.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed 5 nights. So convenient to Shoppimg mall, Southbank, Gardens River walks etc. Found room a bit dark and dull but was adequate for our needs though bathroom door needed a good clean. Staff welcoming on arrival but I was not impressed to receive a call after we left insinuating we had taken a bottle opener from the minibar.!!

Colleen

Room Tip: Rooms at side of building overlooking the pool have no view. Surrounded by other tall buildings.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, and apologies if we offended you with the follow up call. If you are looking for local accommodation in Christchurch, you might like to be one of the first to try the Rendezvous Christchurch that reopens on May 1st. Some of our team are over there assisting with the opening period.
Otherwise we look forward to seeing you back in Brisbane soon.