“Cuddling a koala was amazing”

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary Day Pass
Ranked #2 of 340 things to do in Brisbane
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover over 100 species of Australian native animals in a beautiful, natural bush setting at the World's first and largest koala sanctuary. Meet a koala, hand-feed kangaroos, marvel at the playful platypus, and enjoy a full daily schedule of keeper talks and activities, including Sheep Dog Show and Wild Lorikeet Feeding. Amenities: free wiFi everywhere, parents' rooms & cafe
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Leeds, United Kingdom
245 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Cuddling a koala was amazing”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been next to a koala before but never held one. I know it is illegal in some states to do this now and maybe people think its cruel but I think lone pine have it right. If the koala doesn't want to do it, they don't make them. The ones we saw seemed happy enough to get some attention and even tried to make an appearance during the presentation! Lots of other things to see and as part of the Mirimar cruise it was a lovely day out. $16 to cuddle a koala and get a photo...well worth it I thought.

1 Thank MrsBaum

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“School Outing Must Do”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Took grandkids there with the local school from Toowoomba in December 2012. Had a fantastic day. Must bring a hat and water. The staff made sure everyone held a koala and pated kangaroos. Definately time well spent with the grandkids and the school as they all thoroughly loved it. Talked about it for weeks. Well maintained and even though the kids took their own lunches food was available, so the kids spent their pocket money on other things at the cafe.

Visited December 2012
New York
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“A Must Do”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is the must do place in Brisbane. I have never seen so many koalas so close anywhere. Take the requisite photo and enjoy holding one of these cute animals. The Sanctuary is well kept, offers food, a slow pace and most of all the koalas. Take the Miramar ferry to the sanctuary if you can. It was great.

Visited February 2013
Cranbourne, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“cuddly koalas”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

good choice & decision to go visit this place...i've been wanting to hold a koala & feed kangaroos, & this place made it possible for me. the only downside is the long queue when paying @ the counter, but everything's worth it. now, i've got photos to show off to rellies & friends, what a nice memento to keep!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Time well spent.”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had a free day in Brisbane and everyone back in the states had been asking for pictures of wildlife. Since I had been in the bush for 3 weeks in a mining camp, I had nothing to show except for a few snakes and thousands of flies. The dingoes were elusive and kangaroos kept their distance.

I asked the receptionist at the hotel about Lone Pine and she said, I'm a local and I really enjoyed it. She did not mislead me. I enjoyed it immensely.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They have many koalas and they are not caged. You can get as close as you like and for 16 dollars you can have photos made holding them as well as pythons and crocs. They will not rush you and will take time to answer any questions. Good people and great Aussie hospitality. There are a number of small kangaroos which you can feed, pet and interact with, as well as wombats, dingoes, emus, tasmanian devils, crocodiles, and host of animals.

I ventured down to the Brisbane River after exiting the sanctuary and noticed a number of goannas. I still had my left over kangaroo food so I tossed a little out to see if they would eat it, and suddenly I was surrounded by monitor lizards. Way cool! I took numerous pictures of the reptiles crawling around on the dock. They were quite curious and not the least bit frightened.

I am glad that I took the time to visit Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

1 Thank sprklhead