“Excellent”

Ranked #25 of 158 Hotels in Brisbane
Armidale, Australia
“Excellent”
Reviewed April 12, 2010

This was our second stay at the Brisbane Marriott with our family of four. I booked a month in advance however, I wished to stay another night and rang reservations who were unable to offer me the same rate (Easter package, valet and breakfast). I was a little puzzled by the fact the Marriott was willing to lose a nights business to a competitor.
We booked at the Sofitel for the first night and told them the situation and our willingness to cancel the Marriott reservation if the Sofitel provided a good service. In the end the Sofitel did not impress us overly (see the sofitel review) and we checked into the Marriott for the rest of our stay. We ended up checking in on the 9th of April for two nights.
Valet was excellent. Location is excellent right on the river and I suggest in a more scenic area of the city. Customs house and the river walk to eagle street pier notably.
Check in was great. Spoke to the receptionist who was very nice and spoke nicely to my 4 year old daughter. I told her about the reservation staff and she told me that the hotel was very busy that night. She graciously upgraded our room to a river view room. I thought that was great and it is the first time we have been upgraded.
The lobby although not as big as the Sofitel is a nice place to be. I think the Marriott is more luxurious than the sofitel. Especially the hallways leading to the rooms are fitted to a nicer standard. The rooms are definately nicer than the Sofitel and the river view room is nice. I doubt I would spend $40 extra for the privelage as the city view rooms are nice as well. Story bridge looks great especially at night.
If you ever ring for assistance it seems the staff are capable and any request quickly dealt with.
We are not fans of the toiletries used by the Marriott.
Buffet breakfast was good on both occasions and staff were nicer and friendlier than the sofitel. Offered colouring in pencils and paper for the kids which helps. Also you can get any coffee you like. My wife however still preferred the Sofitel and I the Marriott. Nice view to customs house.
The pool is nice but is not heated which was a major disappointment. Had to stay in the spa for warmth. I am suprised it is not heated or maybe there was a problem. My wife asked housekeeping who thought it was never heated.
Gym is next to the pool, spa and sauna and has a nice river outlook.
Check out staff were good and gave us a free late check out. They charge you for using a credit card not matter what type. Sofitel did not charge this. Valet had the car with bags in it for our departure.
I have now stayed at the Hilton, Sofitel and Marriott in Brisbane and recommend staying at the Marriott ahead of the other two.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank yeye007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We recently returned from a trip to Brisbane and stay at the Marriott. The hotel is in a great location near the restaurants on the riverfront.

The rooms are extremely quiet. We did not hear any noise from other rooms during our stay at all. We were near the lifts and were concerned about the noise but we were not disturbed at all during our stay.

Certainly I agree with some of the other reviews that the rooms are not decorated in the latest style, but there are flat screen LCD televisions with a larger than usual pay television selection which was a pleasant surprise. The rooms are very clean and the bathroom is spacious with both a shower and bath.

The beds are extremely comfortable, the pillows were great and the towels provided were soft. I could be critical and say that the toiletries were not replaced on one of the days during our stay but on the other days they were so it may have been an oversight.

The food at the hotel is okay but nothing to rave about. Do yourself a favour and venture out to many of the dining options nearby.

The service we received was fantastic from most staff at the hotel and I would definitely return to this hotel on my next visit to Brisbane.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 3, 2010

Booked by family member, so I didn't choose to stay there. Not bad, but seemed like a 4 star rather than 5 star. Marble and other fittings in bathroom looked cheap and over the top. Good location. Good buffet breakfast.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2010

One of my pet peeves is when a hotel charges you for absolutely everything. I don't expect them to lose money on me and throw in the kitchen sink, but for at least an elite member, throw in something...bottle of water, internet, cookie...something! There was free water with fruit near the reception by the glass, though.

Room was clean and the floor felt very cozy. It was a large hotel, but not very wide. Floor was very quiet as there was probably around 16 or so rooms per floor (I didn't actually count). Bed was a little soft, but I actually like it that way. Not firm at all, but had some nice give to it. I didn't like the shower layout. Only a place for soap above the floor, so anything else had to be placed on the ground...and the shower was not sloped to allow water to drain quickly. Probably stood in a 1/4" of water while the shower was on. Also had the two individual temperature controls with no markings, so better watch out when you try to set the water temp.

Almost $40(AUD) for internet for two days. OK download speed, terrible upload. Didn't get knocked offline, though. Staff was friendly and didn't seem to mind my USD tips (ran out of Aussie bucks).

I booked the breafast rate and glad I did. Pretty pricey if you wanted meat with your juice. I was billed $3 for a paper for each of the four days and never received one. Front desk took it off once I told them I didn't ask for or get a paper. But again, $3 for a paper?

Location was perfect for me because of the offices I was visiting on Creek and Queen streets. Easy walk to the mall area and local restaurants. I didn't have a car, but I thought I saw a sign for $40/day parking.

Not hotel related, but this city has some of the the worst cabbies I've every seen. No clue where anything was, even just a few blocks. I had to tell them where to go and made them stop the meter several times as the repeately drove past the turns. I wasn't asking to go out into the sticks...just downtown offices. Main streets, big buildings. Ask them if they KNOW where they are going before closing the door. After getting my bearings, I just walked when it wasn't raining.

I'd probably stay again if I go back soon, but I understand a competitor hotel (IHG) is getting remodeled in September/October. If so, I'll probably give them a try if the timing is right.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 9, 2010

This was the third hotel we stayed on our trip to Auz. We expected the same 5 star service we received in other hotels.
The location of the hotel is excellent, along the river and the beautiful board-walk.
However the service in the hotel was far from 5 star.
We asked for a double bed when we booked, as it was our honeymoon. We were told on arrival that we did not request a double bed but that we did request a no smoking room (the hotel is all no smoking rooms!!)

The indoor pool and outdoor pool are all the one. It is one pool on one side.
The 'complimentary' water in the room is not actually complimentary by Aus$15 per bottle.
Staff were not helpful with any queries and we did not feel welcome.
Was expecting much more for the price

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David M
Cambridge
Reviewed February 24, 2010

A traditional 5 Star hotel, but looking a bit dated in its decor. The location is ok, but arriving by car can get a bit confusing. The rooms were comfortable, well supplied, spacious, but again a bit dated, especially the bathrooms. The pool is a real let-down, being only 10m long, and of little use. The food in the restaurant was very good, but the service was poor. The hotel had a friendly atmosphere, and a nice buzz to it. Whitney Houston was staying here during her disasterous concert in Brisbane. He entourage gave some colour to the place, and made for interesting people watching.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2010

What a great place! I really enjoyed my two stays at the Marriott Hotel in Brisbane. The slender high rise at the edge of the river, offers beautiful rooms with many elegant and comfortable furnishings. From the exquisite bedding to nice bathrooms, I really felt taken care of.

The staff has always been extremely attentive and friendly, which provided my stays at this property with a very personable, boutique feel. The lobby attrium and restaurant are very impressive, although not very large. I'd stay here over and over again!

• Stayed February 2010