“River views”

Ranked #23 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Glenelg
“River views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

Great hotel in the CBD on the river, great views and great location. Rooms were clean, large and comfortable. Conference rooms were great, business centre was great, free use of computers and printers. Value for money hotel.

Room Tip: Have drinks out on the deck in the evening, great city lights and river view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this property when I was in the country on business. Gym was respectable. Rooms were nice.
Beds were great and Provided an excellent night sleep. Views were nice over the river and bridge. Room service was great. Restaurant service was slow. Overall, nice stay and would return again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

I checked into this hotel for my sister's hen's night. I specifically chose this hotel for their lovely bathrooms (bathtubs are the highlight of hotel stays for me) but we were given a room with a very large shower instead. I did not complain as my sister and I were in high spirits.
We visited the pool/spa area which seemed nice on first glance but when we looked closer there were many problems. When the jets were turned on in the spa soap bubbles appeared. On top of the bubbles was a mix of dirt and what appeared to be spa scum. The pool is advertised as being heated, but it wasn't. Being winter, this was disappointing. The water bowl from the sauna was broken, also. But this wasn't that much of a big deal, so we retired to our room to get ready. There was a knock at the door at around 10 pm. When I answered it, I was informed by a hotel staff member that people had complained about the noise we were making. Confused, because we hadn't made any noise above usual conversation and noises involved with getting ready, I asked her what sounds people had specifically complained about. She told me that guests had heard doors slamming and it dawned on me that I had allowed the bathroom door to close by itself rather than carefully shutting it myself. We were told that the hotel has a zero tolerance policy for noise complaints and we would be asked to leave if they received another.
Worried, my sister and I proceeded to tiptoe around our room and whisper (I am not exaggerating) for fear of being ejected from the hotel. My hair was wet from the spa but I was unable to use a hairdryer due to the noise it would make. By this point my sister and I had no interest in going out anymore so we went to sleep.(and to the hotel's credit, the beds were very comfortable.)
We were awoken at 1 am to a group of people shouting at each other in the hallway and actually slamming doors (not just letting them close with a muted thunk sound.)
The next day, upon checkout, I was asked to produce my debit card so the deposit they'd taken at check in could be refunded. I didn't have this card on my person as my sister had taken it to the car. When I told the receptionist this I was told that everything was fine and that my deposit had been refunded.
A few days later I got a phone call from the hotel saying that I hadn't been refunded and I needed to fill out a form and return it so I could have my deposit back. I don't have a printer, so it was a lot of effort to print, complete, scan and return a form for a 50 dollar deposit.
In short, the hotel is beautiful, the reception staff is lovely and helpful, but please be careful of how you shut the door in your room, lest you find yourself on the streets of Brisbane with nowhere to go and no money for a new hotel (because they didn't refund your deposit.)

Room Tip: Make sure you specifically ask for a room with a bathtub if you want one.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank xLunacy
James F, General Manager at Brisbane Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear xLunacy

My sincere apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience you and your sister experienced on what was to be a most enjoyable celebratory stay with us. Needless to say, I am most concerned to learn of the shortcomings in service and standards you encountered.

I wish to assure you and Trip Advisor readers that we have the most stringent hygiene standards in place, including on our pool deck. In relation to the spa, unfortunately, when conducting a regular service the contractor inadvertently neglected to replace a part. As soon as we discovered this, following similar feedback to yours, the spa was closed until it could be rectified which it now has been.

Thankyou for bringing to our attention that the sauna water bowl has a crack. We are in the process of having it replaced.

I also wish to advise that our swimming pool is heated to a constant temperature of 26 degrees.

In reference to our reaction to a noise complaint regarding your room, we do react promptly when we are made aware of any noise disturbances. However, the staff member perhaps responded a little too zealously and I do apologise. We are unsure as to how the bathroom door slammed as they do not have door closers and all have rubber door frames to minimise any noise. I am sorry for the disruption to your stay as a result of some unruly guests on your floor in the early hours of the morning. Noise disturbances are a very rare occurrence at our Hotel. However, as mentioned, we react promptly when we are made aware.

Your experience in relation to the refund of your deposit is highly unusual and will be reviewed with the team.

I appreciate you taking the time to advise us of your experience as we value all feedback, both positive and negative and I sincerely hope you may return in the future to allow us the opportunity to show that we are capable of exceeding your expectations in all areas.

Kind regards
James Ferguson
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

I stayed just one night but you could tell this place was well managed. Check in took about a minute and as a Marriott member I was given quite a nice room overlooking the Brisbane River. Met family at the Club M for some drinks. Fast and efficient service. Had lunch the next day before my flight. Again fast and efficient with lunch, holding bag for an hour and getting a taxi straight away. It was a top stay. Thanks.

Greensboro, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014

This hotel exceeded my expectations. I am used to going to marriott hotels. The staff at this hotel were super nice and accommodating. On the day of our arrival, after 30 hours of flying, they allowed us to get our room earlier. We had breakfast, which includes a full buffet (no lattes or cappuccinos, they'll charge extra for those, just regular coffee). The buffet is certainly full, a nice assortment of fruit, juicer, make your omelets/pancakes/waffles on demand, breads, yogurt... and quite a few hot dishes, eggs Benedict, scrambled, bacon, asian soups, etc. I was overall very pleased. The location is wonderful. You are right downtown. You can go for runs around the river banks. There are plenty of options for walks/runs outside.
The room was very quiet in spite of its proximity to the elevator, and beds were super comfortable. There is free wifi in the lobby. Wifi in the room is complimentary to marriott members but not other guests, though you may have wifi for a fee.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

In Brisbane this week for business and lodged once again at the Brisbane Marriott. The hotel is in a great location on the banks of the Brisbane river, just a short walk from the centre of the city, the Eagle St restaurant precinct and a riverside walkway that is fantastic for a morning run or evening stroll. The hotel is large with roomy open lounges, restaurant and a good bar on the ground level. There is a very good gym, pool and spa on level 3. The hotel is well appointed and maintained.
The rooms are large, modern and clean with views over the city or the Brisbane river & Storey bridge. The bathrooms are a nice size and the beds & pillows are comfy.
The staff are excellent. From concierge, to reception & house-keeping - all are friendly & helpful and will pro-actively assist you with any issue or question.
The Marriott is a great place to stay for business or leisure.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

I overnighted at the Brisbane Marriott on my way to Papua New Guinea and was only there for a few hours. Fortunately, on the way home, I was able to stay for two nights and get a feel for the hotel and the area. The rooms are large and well-appointed; beds and linens are very comfortable.

I can't say enough good things about the staff. I had a couple of small issues with Marriott Rewards and the hotel staff did a better job of handling them in-house after I got frustrated with some on-line efforts. To a person, every one who wore the Marriott badge was pleasant and willing to go out of their way to help with any issues.

The property is very well located just across the street from the river walk where you can spend an entire day strolling, taking in the sights, having meals and drinks and enjoying the parklands on the South Bank in Brisbane.

This is a very classy hotel and, again, an excellent staff. You won't regret a stay here.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends