“Check in spoilt it again”

Brisbane Marriott Hotel
Ranked #22 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Check in spoilt it again”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Yet another hotel trying to pull a fast one on check in!! Don't why these hotels do it ! Travellers know what they've booked so why treat us like idiots
We had booked two twin rooms and yes we're given a twin and a double ! We refused to take it and on providing the paperwork were quickly changed to two twins despite being told the hotel was fully booked. !!!
Rooms okay but far too hot, staff friendly and helpful
It's very close to everything so very handy
If stay again just watch them in check in

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Check in was fast and efficient. Upon check in we were offered a glass of sparkling wine each (no charge) which was a nice touch.

The room was large and clean. The bed was comfortable and everything worked. Air conditioning was quiet and worked well. However subsequent cleaning was very average, especially the bathroom which always had large pools of water on the floor after cleaning and it was evident the toilet seat was never cleaned.

Hotel WiFi (the entry level selection) was fine for email and general browsing and ok for Skye voice but not video.

Breakfast was excellent with a good range of choice and eggs made to order. The buffet hot was actually hot. Not just warm, but nice and hot. Especially the baked beans, scrambled egg and bacon. Coffee made to order was excellent. Service was also some of the best I have come across. It really made getting in and out quick at breakfast time. Eat breakfast at the hotel!

The hotel has a bar and prices are reasonable and service good.

Keep an eye out for their 'door deals' where they hang a daily offer on your hotel door e.g a free bottle of wine with dinner. This was excellent and we used them during our stay as it was cold outside.

Overall the hotel service is excellent.

Check out was fast and efficient with no billing errors.

I would happily stay at this hotel again.

1 Thank dropandflop
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My first stay at the Brisbane Marriott. My first impression was good when met by the friendly desk staff particularly John who asked about my day and wanted to know about my trip and how my day had been. On hearing that this was my first stay here, John promptly upgraded my room to a river view deluxe as a complementary measure. The room was perfect for a short stay traveller like myself with a great view of the river and Storey Bridge (great at night). Very clean and thoughtfully presented (including additional free toiletries you dont usually get from equivalent rated hotels) and importantly for me a very comfortable bed and a range of pillows to choose from. The gym is decent sized with a range of equipment and to top it off the day-spa (and the warm and lovely staff) were a real treat. Felt a completely relaxed vibe about the place which is not what you might expect in what is a business stay type hotel. I would come back here. MS July 26-27 2013

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Muz S
James F, General Manager at Brisbane Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Muz S – I am thrilled you enjoyed such great first impressions of our Hotel. John will be delighted to know he contributed so positively to your welcome and stay as did the appointments in your room, the fantastic Story Bridge view, our super comfortable beds and your visit to the Dome Spa which is always a special treat. It’s great to know we ticked all the boxes for you and hope we may welcome you on many more visits.

Kind regards
James Ferguson
Reviewed July 23, 2013

First off my review is negative due to the fact I did not get the room I booked. Stayed here for business, the company booked me a king city view room and prepaid which did not allow any changes or cancellations, which was fine as my trip was going ahead as planned. When I arrived I was told they did not have any city view king rooms but I was to receive an upgrade to a river view twin. Due to the fact it was a business trip and I would only be in the room to sleep, the king bed was much more important to me than the view. I mentioned this to the check in staff and was told the only king bed rooms they had available were on the executive floors and they were not able to give me one of these. This does not make sense - I could not change my booking with the pre paid rate so why was the room I paid for not available? Why was the hotel allowed to change my booking when I should have secured the room with the pre payment? And given my preference for the king sized bed instead of a double bed I feel I should have been given what I paid for. I arrived at night and was too tired to press my point any further (I did try several times but the staff would not budge) and was not happy with this aspect at all. Everything else was fine, the breakfast was great but I am not happy with the service received from this supposed 5 star hotel.

2 Thank RoundyAU
James F, General Manager at Brisbane Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear RoundyAU – I can certainly understand your disappointment at not receiving your expected room type, such an integral aspect of anyone’s hotel stay. Unfortunately, as we are unable to view your reservation I cannot ascertain as to whether it noted a guaranteed King bed or a request for a King bed. If it had been guaranteed, then you most certainly should have received that room type, with an upgrade to our Executive Level if necessary and I apologise sincerely if this was the case and we didn’t follow through. Considering your disappointment, it is very gracious of you to take the time to highlight your satisfaction with other aspects of our service. Should you choose to stay with us again, please feel free to contact me direct as I would be most happy to personally oversee your reservation to ensure your stay is wholly more positive.

Kind regards
James Ferguson
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My favourite hotel in Brisbane it exudes a warmth and attraction that may hotels lack. The decor is becomong somewhat dated, however, the ambience and views from the rooms more than compensate. The hotel is located a little out of the way on the fringe of the CBD but still within comfortable walking distance. The ground level restauarant usually has a special two or three course menu that offers good food at very reasonable prices. Ideal for the overnight business traveller.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

No complaints, clean tidy and good position. Staff were helpful and was priced correctly. Will stay again in the future. Valet parking was prompt and breakfast was included and very well appointed. Lounge is nice and we used the pool area each night, usually no one or only one other person around. Good job.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed for one night only. It was a last minute decision to book and we received a good price. Our city view room was spacious, well appointed and quiet. Bed was comfortable also. We enjoyed some complimentary drinks (thank you) in the bar in the lobby and enjoyed the buffet breakfast also. Excellent service from the friendly staff too. We would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple