“Great Stay - They Treat You Just Right”

Brisbane Marriott Hotel
Ranked #27 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed November 24, 2012

After staing one night as part of a stop-over to Auckland, this was more than a plesant stay. The staff was friendly, welcoming, and very attentive. I am a Platinum Member so most Marriott staffers are kind, but it was obvious that their high-touch service is part of the culture. What's more, I told them i was hankering for some sushi and they did all that they could to hunt down a delish sushi dinner with walk along the pier - the scenic route. It was lovely. It was a really nice stay and I would certainly recommend to anyone stayingin the area - whether it be for a day or a week.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
James F, General Manager at Brisbane Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear jcwjcw74 – We’re absolutely thrilled that you had such a wonderful stay at our Hotel. We have a fantastic team who really do take pride in ensuring our guests’ experience is all they expect and more. I’m delighted you enjoyed the choice of sushi restaurant and the scenic river boardwalk – it does sound like a lovely evening. Thankyou for taking the time to comment and do visit us again soon!

James Ferguson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,688)

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Staff Friendliness - Excellent (Concierge, Reception, Motion Bar and Grill)
Room Presentation - Excellent
Room Cleanliness especially the Bathroom - Excellent (most clean room I have experienced in a while, not a speck of dust anywhere, not a smeary streak anywhere)
King size bed - awesome! AND a selection of different thinkness pillows! We usually have a terrible nights sleep in a hotel bed because the pillows are always to plumpy and we like flat pillows but there were six on the bed to choose from - perfect!
View - Excellent (right in between two buildings sat the Story Bridge in full view). Couldn't see it from the bed but at least we could see it!
Lifts - 3 lifts but really slow!
Shower - Unbelievably bad. Was a 50 hole shower rose but the water pressure was so bad if you used all 50 holes you had to stand with your back on the tiles to catch the water. Cut it back to the 20 hole option and you could stand in the middle of the shower but it took a long time to shower with not as much water coming out. I mentioned to my husband with an old building that there was probably no way of fixing this but he said one word, "pump".
We received a gift certificate "Chocolaty Package" and this was my second night ever away from our 26 month old so I was looking forward to a long relaxing hot shower without being interrupted!
Other than that we had a really nice evening to ourselves with delicious cocktails that came with our "Chocolatly Package"!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 502
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BnKConrad
James F, General Manager at Brisbane Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear BnKConrad – Thankyou for taking the time to review our Hotel. While I am absolutely delighted to note that you found so many aspects of our Hotel and service to be excellent (our Room Attendants in particular will be thrilled to read your comments on their spotless cleaning), I do apologise for the disappointing shower pressure in the room you occupied. A relaxing shower is an integral element of any hotel stay and we endeavour to ensure the water pressure throughout our property is at an optimum level. I appreciate you bringing your experience on this occasion to our attention and wish to assure you that our engineer has since rectified the problem. As mentioned in my separate email to you, I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon when I trust your stay will be wholly excellent.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

After staying here just one night on a previous trip -- and a short one at that -- when the Marriott offered a rate that was much more competitive than other hotels of a similar class, I booked a two-night stay on a trip in October 2012.

I had a very nice stay at the property. My room was superb -- excellent, high-end decor; a very comfortable bed; superb lighting; well-appointed; and a bathroom with bath and shower stall. It was a great place to spend a couple of nights! Internet service worked well and, thanks to my Marriott status, was free, which is even better. I was also granted access to the concierge lounge. I didn't make it for evening canapes, but I did have breakfast, and it was well-done. The fitness center was excellent -- spacious, well-lit, with good equipment.

The hotel's location is OK. It's in the CBD, so it's walkable to many sites and restaurants; it is not as central as some of the competing properties. The only glitch during my stay occured when the elevator between the lobby and taxi level was broken, requiring a rather odd staff-led walk through employee-only areas and several floors of the parking garage. Glitches happen, though, and by day's end said elevator was working again.

Overall, it was an excellent stay and I will not hesitate to return when business brings me back to Brisbane!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank brmusicman
James F, General Manager at Brisbane Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear brmusicman – Thankyou for choosing to stay with us again and for taking the time to share your experience. It’s great to hear that you were so impressed with your room and all its appointments and were also able to enjoy complimentary internet and Executive Lounge access as part of your Marriott Rewards membership. We have only recently renovated our gymnasium so it was also very pleasing to hear that you found it to be an excellent facility. I do apologise that your stay was impacted by an out of action elevator. You are very gracious in acknowledging that such glitches do unfortunately happen and I hope you were not too inconvenienced by the unexpected back of house tour. Thankyou again for your review and I do hope your travels bring you back this way in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here one night on business. Hotel was close to the meeting site but also noted hotel was within walking distance of river and downtown. Room service was quick and good. Room was clean and quiet. My company's travel service had erroneously booked me into the Melbourne Marriott and I didn't notice this until after arriving in Brisbane. It was after the 6:00 p.m. no show cancellation, but the Brisbane staff called Melbourne and got the penalty waived. I don't belong to the Marriott hotels reward program, e.g., no status, but felt I was treated very well.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear goodnamesaretaken - Thankyou for sharing your experience. Location is an integral consideration of any Hotel stay and I’m so pleased you found ours to be so accessible. I also note and appreciate your kind comments regarding our Front Office team who so ably assisted you with amending your reservation. They will be delighted to see here that their efforts are appreciated. Should you ever wish to consider joining and taking advantage of the many benefits of Marriott Rewards membership, it’s very easy to enrol via our website or on checkin the next time you stay with a Marriott hotel. Of course, Rewards member or not, you will always be a VIP to us. Thankyou again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you on a future stay.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed overnight as we had a function to attend in the hotel.

Staff were friendly and welcoming from the moment we approached the desk. Given an upgrade - a lovely surprise.

Staff in Motion Bar and Grill were exceptional. Our party were well looked after and food and drinks were delivered with a smile. Service outstanding.

Room was spacious and had uninterrupted view of bridge. Pillows on bed were like puffy clouds, so comfy. King size bed very comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Brisbane Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear GwendaM2012 – Thankyou for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. It’s wonderful to hear that the warm welcome and subsequent service you received from the team here exceeded your expectations. They will be thrilled to read your comments. I was also delighted to note that you enjoyed our comfortable beds and ‘puffy cloud’ pillows – a wonderful description. Thankyou again and we look forward to welcoming you on your next city break.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

From the moment I arrived the Marriot quality was evident. Polite, professional staff, clean, well-appointed room with a sumptuous bathroom. I upgraded to an executive room to have access to the (small) but comfortable executive lounge - which paid for itself with drinks and snacks alone during my stay but was also useful for a couple of client meetings (I was allowed 1 guest at a time). This isn't a budget hotel at around $350 per night but it is the best hotel I have stayed in Brisbane and I think it represents good value - Brissy isn't a cheap destination any more.

Room Tip: Bite the bullet and upgrade, the views from the upper floors alone are worth the extra.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear done_too_many_miles – Thankyou for your review and recommendation of our Hotel. It’s great to hear that you were impressed with our service, room appointments and views and that you also found your upgrade to our Executive Level with its inclusions to be such excellent value, particularly with the convenience of the Executive Lounge. It’s especially pleasing to hear such praise from a seasoned traveller and we very much look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you this way again.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

When reviewing the fees on the website prior to booking I felt they were resonable for the location and star rating of the hotel. However after booking and checking in I was not informed that there was a $100 holding fee per night for the room. I was informed that on check out the money would be returned to be. On check out however they claimed that I was required to pay $32 in mini bar charges when I had not taken anything from the mini bar. This issue was resolved there and then. A day after I had checked out I received an email stating the hotel had taken $17 out of my account (without my permission) for mini bar fees.
All my issues were resolved after calling up the front desk and asking for a refund HOWEVER the money had not been returned to my account after 3 days even though the hotel claimed it would only take a couple of days. After talking to the bank, they had never received an email or fax telling them to release the funds back into my bank account.
If you are there for business then it will suit you but it is not a place for a luxurious holiday.

Room Tip: If you want to have some cooking facilities you will need to go for the higher up rooms as the stand...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Renee B

Dear Renee B – I do apologise sincerely that your stay was impacted by the matter of the pre-authorisation amount taken on your credit card. As advised in previous correspondence, it is a standard procedure to obtain a holding fee at the time of check-in, to cover contingencies. It is of course also our policy to ensure this procedure is explained clearly and I fear that this is where we have let you down. However, upon hearing from you, we immediately contacted your banking institution via fax to have the funds cleared as soon as possible and from our side of things we could see that the funds were released at that time. In relation to the mini bar charges, I feel that as you had removed all of the items from the minibar to replace them with your own items, there ensued some confusion and miscommunication and I again apologise sincerely for any disappointment or inconvenience you were caused as a result. I was pleased to note that we rebated this incorrect amount promptly. We certainly don’t wish you to have a poor impression of our Hotel and I do hope you may take up my offer to you as outlined in my previous correspondence so that we may have the opportunity to regain your confidence on a future visit. Please also feel free to contact me again direct should you wish to discuss any aspect of your experience with me further.