“Better than expected”

Ranked #34 of 160 Hotels in Brisbane
Sydney, Australia
“Better than expected”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights for the June long weekend. We booked the hotel as a "secret hotel" on wotif.com because it seemed like a good deal for accommodation near the city over the busy long weekend period.

Check in was a little slow, as the two people behind the front desk were both attending to one person who was checking in before us (perhaps one employee was new?) but the check in staff were very polite and friendly.

We opted not to upgrade to a King room and were happy with this decision, as our Queen room on the 10th floor (we got room 1004 - a corner room) was very spacious. The room was very clean and tidy, had a good sized TV with digital and Foxtel/cable channels, as well as the option for pay-movies. There was a separate chair, coffee table and chaise, as well as a desk and chair. There was a mini bar, tea & coffee making facilities, in room safe, iron, ironing board and good sized wardrobe. The bathroom was clean, large enough and had a bath/shower combination.

The only slight negative is that the rooms on one side of the hotel (our side) face the train line and some train noise can be heard, however this didn't bother us too much. The plus side is that the hotel is located right at Roma St. train station, making it convenient for public transport. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the main mall in the city and within walking distance (maybe 20 minutes) of Suncorp Stadium for people attending events there.

Overall a great experience, especially for the "secret hotel" price. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on the side of the hotel that is not facing the train lines.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsFitzy2013
TradersBrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Jen Brisbane By Shangri-La, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Traders Hotel Brisbane We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, as it is our mission to delight our guests every time. I would like to confirm that we are currently in the process of upgrading the window seals and improving acoustics in the bedrooms, which should reduce the noise.

Thank you, also, for your valuable feedback regarding our Front Office Colleagues, at Traders Hotel we hire for attitude and train for skills, and I thank you for your patience as we do train new colleagues to ensure they deliver excellent customer service.

Bruno Cristol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, South Australia
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and flew to Brisbane for the rugby on the long weekend and booked this hotel through a Secret Deal on lastminute.com. We were thrilled with the location when we discovered which hotel we had been given.

The friendly welcome at Reception and efficient check in was a very pleasant experience. Our room on the 11th floor had a view of the train station but was fitted out very nicely. Only down side was there was only 3 pillows (although housekeeping did bring another one upon request) and the coffee sachets were nasty! I also have a pet hate for those tiny milk pods hotels insist on putting in the mini bar but if that is the worst of my worries, then life is good!

We had dinner in the restaurant. Fabulous menu, great service and the food was divine! They had some good offers as well but time restrains meant we were limited to a main course only.

I asked about a late check out and was given one hour complimentary and charged $20 per hour if we wanted to stay later than that.

Overall, the location was fabulous. Everywhere we needed to be was within easy walking distance, the service was lovely and we would most definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: As always avoid being near the lift if you can.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Regards

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed on level 12, on the train line side of the building. After requesting a quiet room. Could hear the people in the next room through the joining doors. And the trains run non stop through the night (freight trains). Family members stayed on the city side of the hotel and it was a lot quieter.

Room Tip: see review
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TradersBrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Jen Brisbane By Shangri-La, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Traders Hotel Brisbane. As part of the many upgrade & improvement projects for the hotel, I would like to confirm that we are currently in the process of upgrading the window seals and improving acoustics in the bedrooms. I would like to extend my apologies for any disappointments you may have experienced during your stay and sincerely hope you consider staying with us again .

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights on business and had a great stay. The staff at reception were always friendly and willing to provide assistance. Greg who checked me in was friendly and made me feel welcome and like I was one of the family, he provided me with directions to some must do activities in Brisbane and some reccommendations on where to eat. He is an asset to the hotel.

The rooms are very nice and modern, the beds are really comfortable (I didn't want to get out). Free Wifi is a great bonus, although could be a little stronger as at times the signal and speed was weak.

I had room service on one night and it was tasty and great value for money (as far as room service goes). Compliments to the chef!

The other staff I encountered during my stay were all great: Edgar, Gail, Laura and Brandon to name a few.

Will be back next time I am here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alexander V
TradersBrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Jen Brisbane By Shangri-La, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Your comments regarding the customer service and team at the hotel are much appreciated and we cannot thank you enough. We do have some fantastic team members at the hotel and I will ensure your comments are passed onto them, and their teams.
We are currently investing in Wi-Fi signal boosters, on all floors, so I thank you for bringing this to our attention, next time you stay you should see the difference.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Traders Hotel Brisbane in the future.

Traders Hotel Brisbane.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Could have been cleaner. Awful restaurant - not even a table clothe. Food was average. Friendly front desk staff. Good location for transport and train to airport. Easy walk to city centre. Brisbane has finally grown up - a very cosmopolitan interesting city. Highly recommend a vist.

Room Tip: Maybe try a different hotel...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mmperthWA
I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Traders Hotel Brisbane, I would like to extend my apologies for any disappointments you may have experienced during your stay. I would like to confirm, as Traders is a corporate branded hotel, we strive to offer friendly simplicity and thoughtful practicality in a vibrant and youthful environment. To support the delivery of this we are planning to refurbish the restaurant at the end of the year, and sincerely hope you consider staying with us again.

Kind Regards

Singapore
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Great location and bigger than usual rooms by Australian standards. The friendly housekeeping staff left me a crocodile made from rolled towels with cakes of soap for eyes as a welcome 'gift'. Good for travelers getting the Airport train into town. Within walking distance of Queen's Street Mall. Free wifi available throughout hotel (again, unusual buy Australian standards but a great step in the right direction) although signal was weak in my room (end of corridor). The lack of blackout curtains made it easy to wake with early sunlight.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Roma Street Station.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

We do like to pride ourselves with providing black out curtains in all the rooms which makes Traders Hotel a market leader, however, as they hang behind the Sheer curtains, sometimes they can be missed, and we thank you for your feedback and have passed it onto the Executive Housekeeping Manager.

Wollongong
Reviewed June 4, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located next door to the Roma Street Train Station where the Airtrain from the airport stops (about a 25 minutes ride from the airport for about $16 - well worth it.)
The staff were very polite, pleasant & professional. The room was spacious and clean with a city building view. The onsite restaurant was lovely. The shower only ever got luke warm - no matter what time of the day or night. Noise carries a little from the hallways. I have an issue with Australian hotels putting 'tipping' on their bills whether it is for in-room dining or accommodation - not impressed!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
TradersBrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Jen Brisbane By Shangri-La, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for selecting Traders Hotel for your stay while in Brisbane, and we appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. I am delighted to receive positive and well deserved comments regarding our wonderful colleagues at the hotel. Your feedback assists us in ensuring we can continue to improve and meet the high expectations of our guests.

Traders Hotel Brisbane