“Well cooked food, but odd-sized portions.....”
Review of French Martini

French Martini
Ranked #168 of 5,109 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stopped here for lunch when visiting Brisbane for the day by cruise-ship. We had walked the length of Little Stanley Street looking for a nice bistro type place, and was immediately impressed with the menu descriptions as we walked past.

We ordered a Charcuterie plate to share as a starter, which came with a good selection of 3 different cuts of charcuteries meats, a salad garnish and crusty warm bread. This was ample and delicious, so we were looking forward to our mains.

Hubby ordered the fish special of fish fillet on a bed of mash and I ordered the king prawn dish. Nearby, a lady was having her main dish of scallops served to her, and I have to admit that I was surprised to see that it looked more like a starter size than a main course, so I watched to see if some vegetable would be served to accompany it and nothing came...

It was then our turn for our main courses to arrive and sure enough, my main course of the king prawn dish was beautifully cooked peeled prawns in a bowl, accompanied by 2 more pieces of crusty bread - no vegetables or salad of any description. Don't get me wrong, the prawns were delicious and perfectly cooked in a lovely sauce, but I just expected it to come with a potato or vegetable side or a salad. It wasn't quite as small as a starter size as there were about 10 prawns there, but I have to admit I was still hungry at the end of that course!

Hubby's fish dish did come with mashed potatoes and vegetables, so he felt more fulfilled and he did say it tasted wonderful and was perfectly cooked.

Another couple eating nearby had ordered the scallop dish (which I hasten to add did look wonderful), but again the first question that the wife asked of the husband when the dish was put down in front of him was "Oh, is that going to be enough for you?".

As we were both still hungry after our main courses, we ordered a cheese plate to share, which surprisingly came with twice as much crusty bread as I had received with my king prawn dish, so we left fulfilled and satisfied, but a little perplexed by the whole mish-mash of offfering sizes and content.

This is not a cheap place to eat and our bill with a bottle of wine came to around AUD130, (35 of which was the bottle of wine). To be honest, the food was excellent and we very much enjoyed our lunch, and compared to back home, the price not dissimilar so we were happy, but I can understand if some customers feel short-changed if they just order some of these main courses on their own and end up with a portion of food that resembles a starter with no sides...

Come prepared to eat three courses and be served by a delightful young french lady, to really enjoy the experience.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently dined at French Martini on Little Stanley street, with one of my girlfriends. We had heard from friends it had a great atmosphere, and we weren't disappointed! On arrival we were greeted by a french waitress, who showed us to a table and continued to look after us all night. The baked camembert was mouth watering, as was the eye fillet and duck mains - which we managed to share.
We will be going back for more french wine, food and service!

Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

On our first visit to the French Martini the food was delicious. On our last visit the main was not the best prawns rubbery & had to return the prawns as there was a small bug in them when they returned with a new dish they gave me the same amount of prawns that i left with out the accompaniments that went with the dish & i had to ask for them, $ 24 for 3 average size prawns & 3 small prawns in a small bowl what a rip off! and service not as friendly and attentive. We will defiantly not go back !:(

1  Thank Goodweezel
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I've always loved the vibe around Grey street, especially for Sunday breakfast but decided to go for dinner as i was staying int he city during the week. The food and service were both good and it was nice to chat to the staff about where they came from in France and to share some knowledge of places we knew as I worked there for a while. While not a real negative, as the place was fairly busy, I had to sit on a high table with a bar stool, which I don't like as to me it's not as relaxing and I like to relax when having dinner. Also, sitting higher up meant I was closer to the speaker which was a little noisy at times.
Yes, I would return but would make sure I sat outside rather than inside next time

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Our first visit to this great little restaurant. From the outset I thought it might be one of those restaurants with a nice trendy decor but not the food to match, but I'm happy to say that I was wrong! The food was great, the steak was perfectly cooked and a good size, and for only $26, very good value. The staff were very professional, food arrived perfectly on time and overall I was very impressed! Made for a great evening!