“Degustation - an acquired taste?”
Review of Esquire

Esquire
Ranked #200 of 4,687 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We had our wedding anniversary meal here and opted for the 14 course degustation with a nice Aussie red. The service from the staff was first class and I really wanted to enjoy everything we ate. However I found the 14 courses a little hit and miss. Some were excellent but others were just OK. Now I know portions can be small but I always find it odd to serve some of these in the largest dishes or bowls you can buy. At times you were almost trying to fish the food out from the bottom of the bowl. At $140 per person it isn't cheap either and that's before wine. At the end they made a mistake by listing the wrong Aussie red on the bill - an honest mistake perhaps but why is it always a dearer bottle they list. They apologised and swiftly gave me the correct bill but again it just added to the sense the place didn't quite meet expectations.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

A ten-course degustation menu that was delicious from the first to last. The chef must be a true genius, as he plays with all your senses.

It is a more expensive restaurant but the food is worth every cent.

Highly recommended!!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was by far the most amazing food experience I have ever had. The chefs are magicians with food and flavours. The atmosphere was relaxed with very knowledgeable staff. I can't wait to go again.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Visited Esquire on Saturday 13th April for the first time. I had no idea what to expect. The staff were friendly and well trained. We had the degustation with a fantastic Aussie Pinot Noir. This restaurant is not going to be for everyone. The chef experiments with his food and the servings are unique for Brisbane. We thoroughly enjoyed the 6 courses and we were well and truly full by the end. Great food, great wine, well trained staff and an interesting ambiance. The view of the Story Bridge in the background adds to the value of this restaurant. My only criticism is there can tend to be a noise problem from time to time due to the cement floors. Otherwise its great to see Aria and Ortega's does have some legitimate competition.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I couldn't fault the place. Staff were lovely, engaging and helpful. Food was very thoughtful and not overly expensive considering the class of the setting. Looking forward to going back.