“Great food/great experience”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This was our first visit to Esquire and it's no wonder it has three hats. We went for lunch and had the seven course degustation. It was fabulous and each course was a piece of art on a plate as well as bursting with beautiful subtle flavours. Service is slick and friendly and it's fun to see what's happening in the open kitchen. Really good value at $95 a head. Ryan Squires ...we will certainly recommend your fabulous restaurant.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is truly beautiful cuisine. A little on the pricey side, but I suppose that's how things are these days. Still, wonderful food.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I took my partner to Esquire for his birthday as I heard so much about this restuarant since my move to Brisbane. Well it definitely did not disappoint. Amazing, amazing, amazing!!! We loved it all. We have done nothing but talk about how great the experience was and of course plan our next visit.

1  Thank 544lauraa544
Reviewed March 14, 2013

DKCGC

People are talking about this restaurant and I saw a great review in the Qantas magazine. I became curious and decided to give this degustation restaurant a go.

I had the 15 course option (there is a 12 course option) for dinner on a Saturday. Not surprisingly I was waitlisted but luckily I managed to get a table.

The food is simply delicious and will send your taste buds wild with combinations of ingredients that will leave you wondering "would they work together". Without a doubt every dish was exceptional. My favourites based on tantilising your taste buds would be the Kim Chi and Air Dried Beef, and the dessert Campari - Orange, Curds and Whey.

The kitchen is open to the restaurant so you can watch the chefs work away. I always think this adds another dimension to the dining experience.

The staff were professional yet friendly and knowledgable about each dish and wines to suit.

Overall 10 out of 10. You just have to experience it for yourself.

DKCGC

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Esquire was suggested by our friends as the best restaurant in Brisbane at the moment, so flew into Australia and off for dinner we went! The dining room is beautiful, the maitre de' so welcoming and lovely, you go girl! Once seated there was an uncomfortable amount of time before any menus arrived, say 10mins, so we weren't sure if we were forgotten, so asked the the staff for some menus none the less. Went with the 16 course dinner menu for $150 each. This may sound like a lot of food but it isn't, it's 16 quite small mouthfulls. It's always a little bit scary eating out in Australia as it's very expensive, for the same price (even cheaper) in the Middle East you can eat in Gordon Ramsey or Reflets by Pierre Gagnaire. Not to say celebrity chefs are the standard but it certianly raises the bar for Aussie restaurants on a global scale (I think the wages are quite high in Australia so I guess it comes through in meal prices). Saying that the techniques exhibited were very good, I particularly liked the air dried kim chi for it's unusualness. Every mouthful had something interesting about it. While it might just say Iceberg and itchi bai the preparations are often suprising, which I love about new food. It's not full on gastro, El Bulli type things, it's more approachable for the average diner. My mouthful of the night was the beef tendon for my husband the lamb belly, so good. For drinks we stuck to the sparkling wine, Pol Roger for $130 is a great price in a restaurant and we had a couple! It also complemented the mouthfuls perfectly as it didn't interfer with any of the flavours and was quite a neautral palattte. I like trying new tastes and textures so enjoyed this meal and would return. I think the menu might be better served by descreasing numbers and increasing the portion size because if you liked something you didn't get a second bite.There's rumbles on foodie sites that degustation menus might be on the way out, as people tire of one mounthful wonders. I don't remember if they have a regular menu but I would come back to try it out, the chef and his team is obvioulsy very very talented. I'd recomend this for adventerous eaters with lots of money.