“The Clayton's Restaurant”

Bistrot Bistro
Cuisines: French
“The Clayton's Restaurant”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The Clayton's Restaurant - the restaurant you have when you haven't a restaurant.
Recently went to the Bistrot Bistro with some friends - what a disaster.
We arrived a bit after 7:00pm and had something to drink at the bar before being seated about 7:30pm.
SERVICE: There effectively wasn't any. Orders taken about 8:15pm, we'd been seated for 3/4 of an hour and then meals didn't start appearing until 9:10pm with deserts coming out about 10:00pm. By the time the main meals were being collected some members had to leave before their desert because of their baby sitter.
FOOD: Mediocre! The best thing was the steak; good size, cooked as ordered and not tough. The pork-belly was a square about 60x60mm. The "French Fries" under a fancy French pseudonym I'm certain came from the local McDonalds; you couldn't tell the difference. Some of the orders were incorrect with a salad not turning up. One Entree which was supposed to be quail turned out to be small sausages - I presume they were quail with a few other bits to the side. This occupied about a 1/4 of the dinner pale and the rest of the plate was empty.
ATMOSPHERE: It was like a 1970's time-warp with these tiny servings on these very large white plates. The atmosphere could be potentially good to great if only they provided some service and meals before one dies of old age.
I know no-one likes to be rushed but this was ridiculous and it wasn't busy - God forbid if they were full. You can see into the kitchen which was extremely relaxed the whole evening - they need a Chef who can light a fire under the kitchen and floor staff.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Alex C

Hobart, Australia
“Not the best, BUT still good!”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I'm new to this reviewing thing but I thought i'd give it a whirl.

BIstort Bistro is one of those trendy places in the gabba, the decor is bueatiful to say the least. Can say one thing negative about it.

The food was simple well made european cuisine. I had a lovely garlic prawns to start and for main. Had a healthy dose of veal cutlet with hand cut fries which was perfectly cooked.

My overall experience was positive, it wasn't mind blowing but wasn't at all bad. I will be back, that steak was to good to not have again

• Visited August 2012
Brisbane, Australia
“Worst dining experience in Brisbane”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We booked to ensure a good table on a rainy night. On arrival there was no table allocated and a rather unwelcoming Maitre'd wanted to sit us outside, despite there being a number of free tables inside. Clearly he didn't notice we too had eyes! Not off to a great start. We opted to wait at the bar for an indoor table to become available. Finally, after a two drinks, we were seated by an abrupt manager. We had been waiting for over an hour for our meals and when we enquired how long they might be, we were told 'not long now, I can't give you a time'. When they arrived, the small portions looked tasty. Whilst the lamb was good, the fish was full of bones. One or two bones would be acceptable however there were over a dozen. When I pointed this out to the waiter he offered to get the manager to which I agreed. She was as warm as a freezer and would not come close to the table to discuss the matter. When I politely showed her the bones on the plate, she replied in a rude and arrogant manner, not even acknowledging that perhaps a customer could possibly be right. There was certainly no offer of apology or to even remedy the situation. Overall, the whole situation could have been remedied by warm and friendly customer service. If you wish to have an enjoyable night out where customer service is high, this is not the place to go. Sadly the worst dining experience I have had in Brisbane.

• Visited March 2012
Brisbane, Australia
“Good but not great, just missing something”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I had heard good things about this Brisbane Bistro, only to have the chance to go there for two separate meals in the last 2 weeks. One for a mid week lunch and another mid week dinner with work colleagues.

Meal 1 my 3 guests and I all had the Eye fillet and Frites which was good, but not great and for the $37 I expected more. Service was friendly, and adequate but not memorable.

Meal 2 was dinner with 5 work mates, and we each had Entree, Main and Desert. 3 of us ordered the Garlic Prawns which presented well but were either frozen or just lacking flavour, the dish lacked garlic and all three of us left at least half of the dish, not even to be asked how the meal was!

I then had the Atlantic Salmon with a beautiful tart, that was the highlight of the meal, Salmon was cooked medium and a little overcooked for my liking. However the tart was sensational, caremalised onion and semi dried tomatoes.

For desert I had the Creme Brûlée and was very disappointed and again left half of it, to once again have this ignored by the staff.

The venue, fit out and ambience is sensational, however I think the staff were having an off night, as for the $100 per head we spent, we were all reasonably underwhelmed.

• Visited February 2012
Brisbane
“Trendy but not the best value for money.”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Bistrot Bistro is very well put together, the venue is fantastic. The gorgeous old building has been renovated beautifully and there is a fantastic function area downstairs. We had set menu as part of a birthday group and the pork belly was exceptional. The beer & wine list was priced about as you'd expect for this style of restaurant and while nothing was too wrong with our visit it just didn't feel like great value for money.

Visited November 2011