“Great value! Awesome food!”
Review of JazzCat Restaurant - CLOSED

JazzCat Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Modern Asian-Australian music boutique restaurant in Paddington, Brisbane. Live music is played every Friday & Saturday night by our musician owner Mr Hong Ma.Eat well, relax and be 'Jazzy' free. That's our motto.
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Did the yum cha and it was fantastic..... Truly great value, flavoursome food that was really filling. Could improve a little though with some plain rice on the side just to break up the flavour as all the dishes are very heavy, but they are deliciously brilliant!!

Reviewed November 9, 2013

The first couple of times we came here for dinner, it was amazing, food was excellent. However we came recently and was disappointed with our meals. Vegetables were cold, pork belly was all gristle, and the service was poor. The waitress dropped things on a couple of trips past tables, forgot to take our dessert order, and didn't ask if we were enjoying our meal. When I advised we were disappointed when we were paying, the response was 'oh'. We may give it another go, as we really hope that this was a one off.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Mid week dinner so not overly busy and we were able to choose our own seating, only one other table so some background noise would have been better than the clatter of plates and overhearing their conversation. Décor very quirky/funky, the building is quite narrow so not a lot of space between tables in the front section however there is more seating at the back which l'm sure would be opened up on the weekend when the jazz is playing. Waitress only took our drinks order when we ordered our meals so was a bit thirsty by this stage. Menu is varied and pricing okay and is based on Asian/Australian fusion. All of the meals were of a generous size however my lamb cutlets were quite under done with the fat basically raw so not a lot left to eat. Very large portion with the Rib Fillet however it was quite fatty as well. All accompanying side dishes were crisp and fresh though. At the end of the night we were a bit disappointed to see the monthly special on the board that we qualified for - order 2 meat dishes and get a bottle of wine free, this had not been offered and we were lucky that we had used an entertainment voucher otherwise would have been annoyed. Overall, it was okay and l enjoyed the evening but not sure if l would go back.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I came across the Jazzcat by accident one night out of curiosity and the appeal of smooth jazz tunes coming from within. Being an old jazzcat I thought perhaps this was the place for me.

I went in and quickly wondered if I made a mistake, why, this was not your typical jazz bar. In fact, this wasn't even a bar! The place was waay to brightly lit to be a jazz bar and the walls too dynamic filled with modern asian inspired art. I opened to menu, again, I was met with more contrast. Asian dumplings? Yum cha? Chinese tea??? These were things an old jazzcat like me were unaccustomed to. The smooth jazz however, made me stay and feel right at home.

So, I tried the tea. It was presented well and tasted fine. So far so good. I tried the gyozas, tasted good! I even sampled the Tom Yum Risotto and Salmon and have to say they were FANTASTIC. The food is a real fusion of asian and european dishes. People like to use the term 'fusion' loosely but Jazzcat for me really encapsulates it well. The salmon appeared to have been prepared like a lightly cooked Chinese fish in hot oil gave the fish a very consistent and moist taste. Not too cooked and not too dry - maybe a tad oily for some but then a salmon fillet is very naturally oily. The Japanese seaweed/endame (again not for everyone) accompanied the salmon exceptionally well for me. The vegetables not overcooked was a plus also. This is what fusion is all about for me and how it should be.

And the tom yum take on a classic seafood risotto? Brilliant! Makes your average creamy risotto taste like a pizza without cheese!! I couldn't fault the presentation nor the ingredients - the seafood was very good and tasted fresh.

It was whilst soaking up the atmosphere here and eating the main dishes that I eventually got the concept of Jazzcat and all it had to offer. In those split seconds I realised the often juxtaposed feeling you get there in the way everything appears to contrast in opposites. Lit up restaurant playing jazz, eating chinese gyoza at a place called 'Jazzcat', eating risotto 'tom yum' style. Things you normally don't expect to work, worked and so delicately put together it was near perfect.

If you're up for something different and no high expectations - try this place. But for me? I can't describe it but I get it, I get Jazzcat and Jazzcat gets me. I will be back.

2  Thank TIersHasie
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Service was attentive, food was excellent with a varied and innovative menu.
Prices for food and wine very reasonable. Friday night visit included live piano giving a pleasant ambience.