“A gem of a place in the city!”
Review of The Villager Hotel - CLOSED

The Villager Hotel
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A newish gastropub in the centre of Brisbane. Quite unique and the food was amazing!
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I always have to pop into this wine bar/gastropub whenever we come to Brisbane. We always stay in the city, generally at Lennons and walk around the corner to have a drink at The Villager. My husband is a bit of a rum snob and the bar at The Villager is very well stocked with a huge selection of quality spirits. The bar staff are very knowledgeable and do their job very well, being able to describe the characteristics of the rum my husband was trying and making suggestions and reccomendations on what they think he would like.
We hadn't eaten there until December when family joined us when we were looking for somewhere to have dinner. The wait staff were friendly and attentive, showing us to a table and offering a highchair for my 9 month old son. Nothing was too much trouble.
The food was divine, beautifully cooked and presented. There was a group of 5 of us, we all ordered different things and none of us could fault our meals.
Can't wait to go back!

There are newer reviews for The Villager Hotel

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Went here a few weeks ago for the 2nd time, definitely the absolute worst customer service we have EVER experienced. Husband and I both have 2 customer service businesses ourselves and after dissecting the night we figured it all comes down to lack of staff training.
Waitress took our order - my beer arrived, 5 mins later my husbands had not, another 5 mins were told there wasn't that beer on tap so he ordered a different one (even though he had asked what was on tap when ordering). On ordering 2nd round of beers he again got the wrong beer and it had to be swapped. We didn't care but were like geez, the wait staff need a little training. We had ordered turkish bread and dips to come before the steak mains. The waitress had specifically asked us if we would like them served together or the bread as an entree and we said yes as an entree. It took ages coming out (we made a joke that they must do it so we drink more to add to the bill! but again not fussed) then the steak came within a minute of its arrival. We said that we had ordered it as entree and a different waitress told us that we hadn't. We just took the steaks anyways rather than send them back, and joked that it was strike 3. The turkish bread was obviously old and out of the freezer. It was still cold inside and the sides were white (like what happens when bread has been in the freezer too long). Was stale and gross. Picked at it but said we felt like we were eating something that someone has thrown away. Re steaks, they looked great, had ordered one steak as medium rare and one as well done. The well done steak was bloody and very pink so this was returned to be cooked to well done. My husband's steak was supposed to be medium rare and only had a little bit of pink in it. My steak was sent back and a couple of minutes later it came back out, I cut into it and still very pink. Took it back up and the red haired "manager" called me honey (wt?) and when I explained that the steak was still pink and not well done she said "no that's your definition of it" I was like excuse me? And said no well done steak is not pink and again she told me that was my definition of it. By then I was rather blown away at her rudeness and quite annoyed so offered to google the definition of a well done steak on my phone. She huffily took it back to the kitchen. My husband was fuming at her rudeness and spoke with her. She told him I had rudely shoved the steak in her face with my fingers, (didn't, merely just showed her the steak was still pink) and they had words. The night ended where we said we'd pay for what we'd had and would leave because we didn't feel comfortable dining there and she told us to leave. Took us about a km of walking to calm down and dissect how rude the staff were. We might sound like rude, fussy eaters having a whinge but we eat out a few times a week, ever have any trouble or send things back and have never experienced such bad service. How hard is it to serve a couple of beers, warm up some turkish bread, put some dip out of a catering container and cook up a steak? Thats all we were there for. We are on the Villager mailing list and see constantly their 2 for 1 main meals specials nearly every month. Perhaps if they upped the staff training they wouldn't have to constantly discount their business to try and get customers. Will never go back and have spread the word to all of our friends. A shame because we were constantly trying to get friends to go with us because it looked like a good local venue and we thought from their emails they needed the support. On a previous visit we went with parents, it was average but totally ok. Since then it seems they have just hired backpacker staff and it really shows. Such a shame for what could be potentially a great city venue. ps feel free to read my other reviews to see how we generally rave about other places!

Reviewed January 18, 2013

So I work close to this place and have done after work drink, drink that turn to eats and booked meals. Overall until recently my experience had been better than average here, food good, drinks and service very good. Of late this has changed . Just before Christmas a colleague booked a table for 8 to have drinks n food. The day before we had a call to say they had double booked and couldn't take our booking. Not to be deterred a few of us went back this week, the table service was a bit like visiting a department store cafe to be honest. The meals were really nice. However two of us who coincidentally both ate mushroom pasta dish were really unwell that night and the following day so our office was two staff down and we spent the day in our respective bathrooms. Surface to say I will not be going back.

In fairness this is a nice place, the atmosphere is good and my other experiences in the main had been positive however perhaps it is a has been place to be seen now!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We were booked here for dinner Wednesday 16th at about 7pm by our local friends that we haven't seen for quite some time! Our waitress was really nice but didn't seem to be in any rush, she took quite some time to get our drink orders and by then we were ready to order meals as well. Food came out very promptly and all meals were good. I ordered a bottle of wine when meals came out, I really felt the young dark haired girl behind the bar needed to step up her professionalism and wear some suitable work clothes, not a tacky black top with hot pink lace up detail at back! she also came across very inexperienced when she poured our wine, and put the cap back on our Pinkt Noir!
Overall an ok experience, might come back if I was in the area.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Ate here for breakfast over the Christmas break. The meal was acceptable, but really didn't blow us away. There is no choice in how you would like your eggs cooked. In a Monty Pythonesque fashion you can choose between: poached eggs with bacon, poached eggs with bacon and sausage, poached eggs on toast or poached eggs, poached with poaches. So given the fascination with poached eggs, you'd think they could actually poach one. Not so. Our eggs arrived over cooked with solid yolks.

There was no freshly squeezed juice available, only prepackaged Emma's Juice type brands.

But the venue is nice and the staff were friendly. Beats the coffee club. But that's not really saying much, is it?