“Siana- A Great View...that is all”
Review of Siana Restaurant - CLOSED

Siana Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Siana Restaurant Eagle Street on Saturday night for a good friends birthday. We arrived around 630pm to a near empty restaurant and by 7pm the place was nearly full. So it is best to book. If you are really wanting to go.

The tables (of which there are three) are long high bars two meters wide that stretch from the back to the front of the restaurant. The chairs are high and hard to get up on if you have any disability, (however comfortable once your in). While trendy the seating makes the experience less intimate being seated across from your friends and next to strangers. However the tables are stylish and complement the river view.

The menu is a mix of yum cha, curry, sushi and Asian fusion dishes. We decide to go with the Platinum platter $35 per person a communal feast. The food a mix of pork buns, sushi, naan bread, duck rolls and curry puffs was smartly portioned so all parties could reach their selection without causing a neck injury reaching across the table. The food was tasty but not all that special. The duck rolls are very good however the other food was fairly standard.

The cocktail menu is interesting with a take on classic cocktails with edge. We ladies started with a lychee martin while the boys began with a jug of Heineken. The martins took so long our food came before they did. When we eventually had a chance to order our second round the boys second jug of beer was served with warm glasses and the pressure of the increasing patronage level was evidently taking a toll on the service staff.

When our second choice of cocktails “Brazilian Rose” came after 15minutes they did not taste the way the over exaggerated menu made them out to be. The cocktails tasted so bad that none of us could drink them. When we were able to find a staff member to comment about our dissatisfaction 10minutes later there seemed not much the waitress could do. When we said the cocktail was undrinkable with a chemical taste, she commented that “I tasted it myself and that is how it is suppose to taste”. (why was the waitress tasting our cocktails?)She brought us some sugar syrup at my request but it really did not help. Our $51 worth of cocktails wasted we tried to get the check. Still seating at our uncleared plates 30minutes after finishing we finally got the check. Before leaving we also noted another section of the table had also had problems with their cocktails and had received a refund.

All and all it was a fun evening but it is evident that the wait staff need more assistance (they are friendly but clearly under pressure)and the bar staff need some cocktail training. If you are desperate to experience the view and the food do. But don’t expect much.

Reviewed November 9, 2011

We went to Siana in Brisbane to meet a few friends for dinner. We walked into the restaurant and were treated to a fabulous view of the river at night. The restaurant has a big squre bar in the middle , with tables - Waga mama style around it inside, and tables outside as well.

We had afew drinks outside whilst waiting for our friends, this was great as the view is spectacular outside and the bar was well stocked with a variety of beers and wines and spirits. Full marks for this.

For dinner we were sat on high tables- waga mama stlye- no real intimacy, but as we were 10 people in total we took a whole section to ourselves and this created our own little space. The service for drinks and food was excellent. The food, however, was pretty ordinary for the prices. The starters were great, but the mains were ok. The Asian food, which most of my frinds tried was not bad at all. However, two of us had the steak and were not too pleased with it.

All in all though, its great as a bar, with nibbles, as the starters were very good, but not really for the main courses.

i would visist again as the atmosphere was great.

Reviewed August 20, 2011

We'd read mixed reviews regarding Siana in the City but as they had opened another venue in Fortitude Valley to much fanfare, decided to give it a try one weekday lunchtime. Limited but free (my favourite 'f' word!) parking was available under the tower where the restaurant is located, however the 'open' plan of the bar/restaurant means conversation is difficult and air quality questionable being on a corner of major aterial road Wickham Street (opposite the Valley Police Station).

The 'restaurant' (or rather 'communal dining area) is up one level and we were seated at a long table which was rather too wide to facilitate any sort of normal volume conversation due to the incessant traffic noise. I didn't fancy sharing my entire conversation with the other diners parked right next to us either (and the waiter would have seated them right next to me if I hadn't placed my handbag on the next barstool).

That's right, the communal table is of bar height (or higher actually), meaning you have to clamber up onto very high bar stools as well. At only 5' 3" I wished I'd taken that climbing course years ago at Kangaroo Point Cliffs, as I found getting on & off the stool precarious to say the least (and I was sober throughout the visit). My 5' 8" partner also found them quite high so you have to ask yourself why restaurant 'designers' create these non user-friendly venues?

Open plan kitchen to our right, which looked clean enough, however staff moved slowly and this was reflected in the temperature of the food served to us. To the menu then. My dining partner of the day prefers small portions and variety so we decided on one of Siana's 'platters' to share - and chose their 'Platinum' Platter - the most expensive at $35 pp (minimum 2 persons).

So for $70 the offering was: Chicken Togarashi, Duck Rice Paper Roll, Wonton Prawns, Vegetarian Samosa (v), Prawn Dumpling, Peking Duck Wraps, Keema Lamb Naan, Tuna & Almond Roll, California Roll, BBQ Pork Bun and steamed Edamame Beans. Sounds good?

A huge in size (and cold) platter was delivered to us after an overly-lengthy wait when considering the small number of other diners, and neither of us could say it was visually impressive as regards the food thereon. There were 2 small skewers of Chicken Togarashi which were lukewaram and the chicken itself dry and unappetising, 2 x Duck Rice Paper Roll (again dry enough to make swallowing difficult with only a sliver of duck meat in each one), 2 x Wonton Prawns (again nearly cold), 2 x Vegetarian Samosa(probably the tastiest offering but unfortunately for Siana I have cooked far better myself at home), 2 x Peking Duck Wraps (too much hoisin and only 1 tiny baton of cucumber in each), 'Keema Lamb' Naan (one small piece to share with virtually no filling so could not discern any flavour profile whatsoever).

The 2 small pieces of Tuna & Almond Roll and same of California Roll were possibly the worst examples of sushi roll we've had the misfortune to taste with dry, crumbly and undercooked sushi rice - they fell apart when you picked them up and the California Roll was completely tasteless. Small steamer baskets (the top one without a lid so everything started to cool very quickly) were deposited alongside containing 2 x Prawn Dumpling (OK), a couple of handfuls of highly salted steamed endamame beans and 2 x BBQ Pork Buns which hadn't even had the paper peeled off the bottoms (as I was to discover when taking a bite- yuk!).

For $70 we believe anyone would feel totally ripped off. There was no 'service' or ambience to make you consider the experience was worth the over-inflated pricetag. Infact of the 2 staff members (one of who admitted to us it was her first day & she didn't have a clue what anything tasted or looked like) and the senior staffer who never came near us to ask if we were enjoying our meal and focussed onselling the maximum amount of alcohol to the other male diners on our table we could have been invisible.

Thank goodness we had our 'Entertainment' Card to use that day, although even at half price, the 'value' of the platter was questionable - we have certainly eaten far better for under $40 at many other 'Pan-Asian' venues in Bris-Vegas.