“Modern hotel in the heart of Brisbane”

Meriton Suites Adelaide Street, Brisbane
Ranked #4 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Really nice hotel, we stayed in a 2 bedroom on the 74th floor with north facing views.
Bedding was comfortable and even the pillows were supportive so we all had a great sleep.
Being so high I was surprised the windows could push open leaving over a foot gap. My kids aged 7 and 3 knew not to touch but it did worry my wife and I. If staying in Brisbane we will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank adamgur1977
MSABrisOnAdelai... B, Manager at Meriton Suites Adelaide Street, Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Good afternoon adamgur1977,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review of the property, its great you and your family enjoyed the two bedroom apartment on our top floor. The views from up that high are incredible looking over Brisbane CBD. Its also pleasing you found our beds and pillows comfortable, there is nothing worse than a bad night sleep when away from home.
We look forward to you and your family returning to our property in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Meriton Suites Adelaide Street, Brisbane

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at Meriton Adelaide Street from 1/7 for 7 nights in a 2 bedroom apartment, as my son was having major surgery at Royal Childrens Hospital in Brisbane and we needed to be close by.

On check in, we were early. Our room wasn't ready. I asked if she had any idea how long it would be as we had some pre op appointments at the hospital and the kids were asleep in the car. It was just a straight out NO, as we had kids asleep in the car. There was no effort made to call housekeeping to check, nothing at all. She said they would call when the room was ready. I knew there would be no call... She did not care one bit.

Come 3.30-4pm, we still had no telephone call, not to our surprise. We went back to the hotel where she says, 'we were trying to call you.' Absolute lie, no missed calls, no messages and never out of service.

By this stage my view of the hotel was not positive.

Anyway we check in to room 6504. A lovely 2 bedroom 2 bathroom river view room. Cleanliness was great. Facilities in the room was also. Very happy with the room, and the awesome view at night time.

As it went, things didn't go according to plan with my sons surgery and we had to stay longer. On every phone call to meriton during booking and check in , they were made aware of our circumstances and our possible need to extend. We called the desk to extend another day, which they were more than happy to do so at a rate of $599 a night! (We were paying $247.50 p/n) The lady at the hotel, said they cant do anything and call the booking line and maybe they could.

Called reservations who were absolutely hopeless. Spoke to a female who said she was the supervisor and she could offer me a discount , but still over $500 for the night.

There was no compassion, or caring, or gratefulness for the week we had already spent. It was a too bad, so sad - that's our rate, take it or leave it. Needless to say we left it.

Our time was stressful enough, and the lack of service here was disgraceful.

They offered that we call the desk at 8am on the morning we were due to checkout, to see if the supervisor on duty on that day would do anything. Ridiculous suggestion, especially when travelling with kids and the need to be out 10.

I was not at all happy with the lady at check in - her lack of service and failure to call us as she had promised she would.

I was not at all happy with the lady at the Meriton or the reservation staff for their lack of compassion and flexibility.

The hotel was lovely.

The parking was an extra $35 per car per day which I find extraordinary.

It was about $12 from the Meriton to the Royal Childrens Hospital Brisbane via a taxi.

There is a small convenience store on the corner, and bottle shop within short walking distance.

This hotel would be amazing if the staff cared. Both the onsite staff and the call centre reservation staff.

To be an amazing hotel you not only need a fabulous property but also fabulous staff. This does not.

8  Thank shazznbaz
MSABrisOnAdelai... B, Manager at Meriton Suites Adelaide Street, Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Good afternoon Shazznbaz,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review of our property, it is very pleasing that you enjoyed the apartment on the 65th level. What's not so pleasing is the customer service that was received from reception and reservations during the stay. I have forwarded your comments to my front desk manager to investigate what went wrong and why we were unable to call you. Although we do have a guaranteed check-in from 2pm we would always try to put a priority on an apartment for guests that do arrive at the property early. In your case we certainly let ourselves down and I do apologise for this first impression of the property.
I hope that your son is now recovering well from his surgery, next time your in Brisbane (hopefully for holiday not hospital visit) I would love for you to give us another chance. Thank you for the feedback both positive and negative we will use it to improve for the future.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I sayted at Meriton on Adelaide Street with three girlfriends for one night in July. We were extremely happy with the apartment and will definitely stay there again.

The apartments are in a good location. Close to the Valley area and also close to the Eagle Street Pier precinct. Brisbane City is also only a short 15 minute walk. It is very secure - you cannot get onto any levels without a swipe card. When you swipe your card and enter your level, you are allocated a specific lift. You must use this lift. It's a great idea, it means that people can't push random buttons and the lifts don't stop on every level on the way up or down! It also restricts the number of people on each level, especially those that aren't staying there.

We stayed in apartment 6804, which was a 2 bedroom apartment on the 68th floor. The lift takes no time at all, the longest part is actually waiting for your lift. Being up so high, and with the lift moving so quickly the pressure on your ears can cause a bit of discomfort.

The apartment was wonderful. Very modern, fresh and clean. The views were AMAZING, we could see right out of Brisbane to the mountains one way, the airport and beyond another way and the Story Bridge, Brisbane River and bits of the city the other way. It was extremely pretty at night with all the city lights.

The kitchen, dining and lounge is all in one open plan area. It looked much bigger online than it did when we arrived, but the size was fine for our stay. The bedrooms themselves are good sizes, the one with the ensuite was much roomier than the other bedroom. It was difficult to fit two people with lots of luggage in the second bedroom, but we managed. The bathrooms were also nice, with plenty of space. Again, the ensuite was much bigger than the second bathroom.

My only criticism, which I relayed to staff on check out, was that when we arrived and entered our apartment, there was no air conditioning on, and all the blinds and curtains were open. So with the sun setting on that side of the apartments, it was like an absolute sweatbox in there, very unpleasant. We had to shut all the blinds and curtains and turn the air conditioning on to try and cool it down. It took a good 2 hours before we could get the room to cool down to a decent temperatute. The air conditioning only went as low as 20 degrees, so that's probably why it took so long to cool down.

The kitchen was spacious and has everything you need to self cater. There is also a CD/DVD player in the lounge area which was great for listening to music and just chilling out in the lounge with the girls.

The reception staff were quite friendly and check in and out were quick and easy. Parking is available for $35 / night. I think this is a little expensive, but fairly standard for most hotels and apartments in the city. We got there right on check-in at 2pm and had no problems finding a park.

I had researched a number of self contained apartments in Brisbane city and I believe we stayed at the best option. It was extremely well priced and the apartments themselves were lovely, comfortable and very close to the city and surrounds. Would be great for all types of travellers, whether they're business, couples, friends or even families.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Shan-Oz

Good afternoon Shan-Oz,

Thank you for your detailed review of our property, we certainly appreciate all the feedback we receive from our guests. They are definitely great views up nice and high on the 68th level and im very pleased you enjoyed our apartment.
The rooms facing the west can be warm of an afternoon, we try to keep curtains partially closed before a guest checks in to keep temperature down. Luckily we do have windows that open in each apartment which can quickly let fresh air in and cool down the temperature.
I will be happy to forward on your comments to my front desk team regarding their excellent customer service. Thank you for the wonderful review and we hope to see you again soon.

kind regards,

Reviewed July 7, 2013

This time we did not travel as a couple with my wife; I was there on a business trip with my boss. Having already stayed at the Hilton Brisbane on a previous business trip (November 2012) and paid aproximately230€/day B&B, I was looking for something cheaper this time. My tripadvisor search led me to this place and I couldn’t believe it when the price that I got from their online system for the specific dates we sought (mid March 2013) added up to a 690AUD for a 6 night stay. Needless to say that when I showed the place to my boss and mentioned the prices, we immediately made the booking. We arrived at the Meriton at 3am. All the paperwork in the reception was cleared within 3min, which was very convenient considering that our trip had begun some 25hrs before in Athens… Entering the room was a very pleasant surprise; this is one place where you don’t get tricked from the website. My 1-bedroom apartment was very big, very modern and overall very impressive. It was on the 7th floor (I can only imagine what it will be like to stay in the upper floors). All furniture was in top condition, as were the appliances. The kitchen was fully equipped and I find it more than adequate for a long term stay where some cooking will come in handy. What I found very useful during my stay was the big table on the living room that I used to work all the time, as well as the ironing board and iron. I did not use the washing machine and dryer, but I did appreciate their presence, especially for someone who goes to Brisbane on a 10-day plus tip. The sofas were very comfortable and the flat TV huge. Moving on to the bedroom, the king size bed was a big plus, although I did not particularly like the pillows (too big for my liking). The drape system was dark enough for the vampire-type of traveler like myself, so overall I had a good quality of sleep (I would love to also say sleep duration, but this time the jet lag beat me for good).The size of the closets was fine, more than enough even for two persons. Finally, the en-suite bathroom was a big plus; again with a modern touch, it was big enough and very ergonomic. I cannot comment on the recreational facilities because I did not visit them at all. Regarding breakfast and coffee, there are quite a few choices within walking distance, so no problems there. I left the only negative for the end. It was the level of cleaning. Although there was a ‘light’ service every day, the ‘heavy” cleaning service when the rooms are vacated does not seem to be the best, judging from the condition that I found my room in (the occasional hair here and there). But the overall cleanliness was not bad enough to stop me from giving almost top marks for this hotel. I know where I will be staying if I am back at this lovely city.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank thada18

Good afternoon thada18,

Thank you for taking the time to complete and online review of the property, its pleasing that you found the apartment in excellent condition as per our photo's on the website. We always have specials on so keep an eye out for next time you need to stay in Brisbane CBD.
I have forwarded your comments to my housekeeping manager regarding the apartment cleanliness. Meriton prides itself in this area so I would like to apologise on behalf of the property for not reaching these heights. We will certainly use your feedback to motivate and help train our staff to improve for the future.
Thank you again for the feedback and we look forward to your return visit to the property.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Got a riverside view with a special deal. The view was spectacular and the highlight stay of our trip. Reception staff are friendly, and I think are physically available 24 hours at the front desk. The size of the living area and dining room table are modest but classy. The pool, spa and sauna are good quality and clean. The lifts are fast and take a bit of getting used to if you haven't used those types before (typing in your floor number and choosing between lifts A-E).

2  Thank Tony N
MSABrisOnAdelai... B, Manager at Meriton Suites Adelaide Street, Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear Ninja G,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write us a fantastic, 5 star review about your recent stay with us. I am very happy to hear that we have exceeded all your expectations. You are correct, our reception desk open 24 hours for our guests convenience.

We look forward to welcome you back next time you visit Brisbane.

David M
Senior Manager on Duty

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Made another trip to Brisbane as planned. Despite having received some poor front office service last year, I decided to stay at Meriton on Adelaide Street again because of its great furnished and equipped apartment units as well as its convenient location in the CBD. For this round, I actually had two bookings, first for a 1-Bedroom Apartment and second for a Studio Apartment.

It was actually nice to be back at Meriton. One of their front office staff, Phia remembered me from my stay with them last year. That's always nice but it's even better that their front office service has improved and staff are friendly and helpful.

To be honest, I can't fault them at all for the whole of my two weeks there staying in two different apartment units. They've continued to maintain the building and units well.

****

A couple of new things near Meriton on Adelaide Street that are worth noting for your convenience:

1) FoodWorks Supermarket just opened right next door. At Meriton's entrance, just turn right and it's there.
2) If you turn left at Meriton's entrance and walk a few doors down, you'll find iZoo Espresso Cafe.

****

Whilst the 1-Bedroom Apartment and Studio Apartment have similar furnishings, please bear in mind there are some differences such as the following:

1-Bedroom Apartment
1) Units are on Levels 2-59 so it is possible to get a higher level unit.
2) Has shower over bath.
3) Has an oven and also a microwave oven.

Studio Apartment
1) Units are on Levels 2-4 so in other words, they are all lower level units. I always ask for units facing Adelaide Street since it's very unlikely for one to see Brisbane River or Story Bridge from such low level units in the back.
2) Only has shower, no bath.
3) Only has a microwave oven.

****

Things you might want to remember when staying at Meriton on Adelaide Street so you could enjoy your stay thoroughly though you're not local:

1) Meriton is less than 5 minutes walk to Eagle Street and Eagle Street Pier where most notable CBD restaurants and cafes are at.

My favorites are Alchemy at 175 Eagle Street and Aria at Eagle Street Pier. If an a la carte dinner at Aria is too expensive for you, go for their 3-course lunch priced at AUD72.00 per person if you still want the full dining experience. Lunch and dinner menus have the same items. By doing the 3-course lunch, you're just paying for a fraction of what you'd pay for their 3-course a la carte dinner :)

For degustation fans, you need to try out the ones at Urbane at 181 Mary Street and Esquire at 145 Eagle Street. If you need to pick one, I'd say go for Urbane first.

A deal that you might not want to give up if you're craving for seafood while in Brisbane - 1/2 price lunch menu at George's Paragon Seafood Restaurant located at Eagle Street Pier. The food's not too bad if you're only paying half price.

Pig N Whistle Riverside at 123 Eagle Street is good for pub grub. It's usually packed when there's a good game of rugby or soccer on. Australians are really big on their sports so join in the fun!

It's super hard to find Thai food/restaurants in the CBD itself. The only Thai restaurant that I managed to find in the CBD is Chilli & Spice at 128 Charlotte Street. Their tom yum soup is by far the best I've had in Queensland state so far. Their spicy seafood stir fry was also delicious. So if you're dying to have some Thai food within the CBD, this place is highly recommended. Otherwise you'll have to check out the various Thai restaurants in Fortitude Valley or Thai Pochana on Oxford Street in Bulimba.

2) Meriton is about 5 to 10 minutes walk to Queen Street Mall. If you walk super fast like the Australians, it will probably just take you 5 minutes. If you're a snail like me, 10 minutes is more like it. Haha.

Like I've mentioned in my previous review, pay Le Bon Choix a visit when you're walking up Queen Street to go to the shopping precinct.

3) If you're staying for awhile in Meriton during your trip, the washer and dryer really do come in handy. Meriton provides you with some liquid laundry detergent. Just call them if you need more. That's way cheaper than trying to send your laundry to a laundry shop. However if you want to send your laundry to a shop instead, there's one at the building before the Skyline Apartments.

4) Buses, trains and/or ferries are cheaper than taxis. If you're staying more than a couple of days and you'll commute with buses, trains and/or ferries for a fair bit, I suggest that you buy a TransLink go card. With a TransLink go card, your fares will be cheaper than the paper ticket fares :) You can get route maps from the TransLink counter at the Visitor Information Centre on Queen Street Mall.

The main bus stop/hub in the CBD is the one at the Myer Centre on Queen Street Mall. Various platforms servicing different areas so you'll have to find out where you're going to and which platform the bus is at.

And when you're in the CBD, go to the Central Train Station if you want to take the train.

The closest ferry stop to Meriton is probably the one at Eagle Street Pier though I haven't been on the CityCat at all. Haha.

5) For all the party animals out there, if you want to enter a club, please make sure that you have your original ID to be checked by the security at the club. They will not allow you in even if you can provide them with a photocopy of your ID. I learned it the hard way when I got denied entry at the Down Under Bar.

6) For more bars and restaurants besides the ones found in the CBD, research and check out McLachlan Street and James Street in Fortitude Valley (fondly known as The Valley by the locals) as well as Caxton Street in Paddington.

Hope that helps a little!

****

For my previous Tripadvisor review on Meriton on Adelaide Street, look up for "Almost A Home" :)

****

Photos attached to this review are of the 1-Bedroom Apartment.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank ohsillymNg

Good afternoon ohsillymNg,

Thank you for writing your second review of Meriton on Adelaide st, we are so pleased that we were able to deliver a great apartment again for you. I will be happy to forward on your comments to Phia for her terrific customer service, its great you can see we are continuing to improve in this area. The other reviewers will also love your review describing the different room types, restaurants and supermarkets close by our location.
I have eaten at a couple of the restaurants you mentioned, there is another couple there I will definitely have to give a go soon!
Thank you for such a detailed review and we cant wait to see you again in the near future.

kind regards,

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I've stayed in numerous serviced apartments in Gold Coast & Brisbane. Most recently at MINT SKYLINE just behind MERITON. I chose Meriton because most of the reviews were positive, and I always like trying new places.

I requested for higher floors, I was assigned on the 39th floor. I didn't make a fuss, although
would've been nice to be in the 50-60th floor.
The view from the 39th is spectacular enough, but there is considerable road noise ( even when the windows are shut ).
Size of the 1 bedroom apartment is good, not very large, but its fully equipped and effective.
The beds are ultra comfortable ( double thumbs up ). The lobby to the elevators to the hallways
are very clean and modern.

We landed from Hong Kong around 8 am. We knew we probably wouldn't be given our room this early, so my friend took us to his place and dropped us at MERITON at 1130 am.
I approached the reception getting ready to check in. I always get excited checking in a hotel
where you're greeted, and you meet all sorts of staff, being helpful, smiling, etc.

Jeremy was on duty. He got my name, looked at my booking and said that the room was not yet ready and asked me if I would leave my stuff and just come back later. We just had a long flight, dying to take a shower and had to meet some people for lunch. Jeremy was not very helpful. He said stuff like "we have a guaranteed check in time of 2 pm "...When I asked if it was possible to get is sooner, He said he wasn't even sure if the guest had left when a while ago He said that the room has not yet been tidied up. He even repeated "we have a guaranteed check in time of 2 pm"

I asked for other floors that were ready, he offered me "3rd or 4th floor"...Because of the Aussie accent, I thought he meant 34th floor, of which I wouldn't have minded. He repeated himself very slowly and sarcastically "3RDDD or 4TTTHHH FLOOOOR" as if I was this idiot who doesn't know how to count.

Finally, I told him that we've had a long flight, my wife wasn't really feeling well ( which was true )...He then walkie talkied housekeeping, and finally after 10 minutes...I got my room keys.

The whole time, he did not smile. You would expect that when you say thank you, the least
He should say is "you're welcome with a smile" or "you're very welcome, sir...Have a good day"...or "Is there anything else I can help you with". The other girls at the reception are far more
helpful, they smile and you can tell that its genuine. I felt insulted.

The following morning, I saw Jeremy again, this time, I asked him some basic questions about
getting around, etc, just to see if he will be more friendly ( in case he was just having a bad day yesterday ). Don't get me wrong, you ask him something, he will answer you. He just wont
answer you with a nice smile. You just lose interest in approaching him.

Having visited Australia so many times before, I generally regard Aussies to be one of the friendliest people in the world. I find it very surprising and disappointing to come across a staff like this, never mind hes working in the hospitality business.

Room Tip: ROOM 3906 You get a lot of morning sun coming into the room, which is nice. The bedroom has views...
2  Thank tony c

Dear tony c,

Thank very much for taking your time to write a very detailed review about your recent stay with us.

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to you on behalf of the front desk team regarding the below standard customer service level you received on check-in. I am very disappointed to hear that we did not meet our usual high standards regarding our customer service level. It is a shame that what could have been a perfect stay was spoiled by just one staff member. Please be assured that we take your feedback seriously and I will be speaking to Jeremy personally in regards to this matter. Meriton Serviced Apartments pride ourselves on our passion for service. Customer service is and always will be our priority.

On a positive note, I am delighted to hear that you were able to check-in before 2pm, enjoyed the views from the 39th floor and gave us 'double thumbs up' for our beds.

Again, I sincerely apologise for the below standard customer service and I hope your wife had a speedy recovery to enjoy the rest of the trip in Brisbane. When there is an opportunity, we wish to welcoming you back again.

David M.