“Great Serviced Apartment”

Ranked #5 of 158 Hotels in Brisbane
Sydney, Australia
“Great Serviced Apartment”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Have stayed here essentially Monday to Friday for the last 4 months and it has been overall a great experience. The staff are friendly and very accommodating. They have pretty much given me the same apartment for the last 4 months. A couple of weeks when I brought my family up they gave one of the best apartments each time. Have always stored my luggage. Stored and always helped with bringing my stored food up to the room. Been very responsive to any request that I have had around amenities, towels etc.

Improvements I could suggest after an extended stay would be around extended the gym or at least putting some extra equipment in there to be a little better balanced with the number of guests. Pool is great though. Only suggestion would be extending the hours of access.

Also with new staff being trained I experienced some level of inconsistency with checking in and out. As a known guest when I encountered old staff I did not have to show ID etc. much more streamlined. And also no additional commentary on the fact that the lady would have checked my ID even if she knew me... Perhaps you could look at recognising long terms guests by some form of quick check in.

Otherwise great place... Great location... Great staff... And will be back when I am back in Brisbane for my next project.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Probal
MSABrisOnAdelai... B, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Brisbane on Adelaide Street, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Good morning Probal,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review of our property, its always great to receive feedback from our extended stay guests. Probal I will be happy to pass on your comments to my front desk team, it seems like they were able to accommodate your needs perfectly for each stay.
We have had a few staff changes at the front desk in recent months so im sure over time they will all again get to meet and recognise you for future visits.
In regards to the gym we are also investigating possibly some more machines for this area. We are restricted a little with the size of the room, if able to fit more in we will definitely look at it.
Thank you for the kind comments and we look forward to seeing you again when next in Brisbane.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (926)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

This serviced apartment is super slick, modern and very comfortable. All the mod cons and everything you need in an apartment, excellent kitchen if you need to cook. The room had cable and it would have been excellent if there was a tv in the room.

The meriton has parking facilities though fees were steep. $35 for the night.

Beautiful views of the city and easy access to Story Bridge. About a 15 minute walk to Queen st- all the main mall and shops

• Stayed June 2013
Good morning mazydee,

Its great to hear you enjoyed the clean and comfortable apartments here at Meriton on Adelaide St. Thank you for your comment regarding wanting to have a TV in the bedroom of the apartment. This is something we are currently looking at closely and im hopeful we can make it happen this year for our guests.
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I think there is always a problem when business travellers (like me) are put in serviced apartments. What makes a good SA isn't what makes a good hotel. But I do like the freedom of an SA to be able to look after yourself and do your own laundry, catering and generally keep the costs down - as a non-Australian I do find the prices in bars and restaurants are eye-wateringly high. So here's my review:
The rooms and public spaces are immaculately clean and there are no signs of wear and tear.
I didn't try the gym. Instead the riverside is just a few metres away if you want to go jogging.
The bedrooms are small, actually the beds are huge so although the rooms are fairly small there is little room to walk round. But the mattresses and bedding and towels are very good quality. The living room is a good sized space and well equipped.
The closest convenience store (down by the river) is expensive verging on criminal. They spotted my British accent and happily overcharged me for 3 out of 4 items. However there is a Woolworths (translation for British readers: Sainsburys) 150m away uphill which is fine and open till 9pm most nights.
The hotel isn't in the CBD or in the core tourist shopping area but it is 5-10 mins walk away and you can walk along the riverbank. Or the road walk is very straightforward and the roads you walk down are main roads so they are suitable for even the most nervous tourist.
It is by some roads which are busy. With high-rise blocks there is always a compromise between having hermetically sealed windows and being able to open the windows. Here you can open the windows, and so in return the rooms are hotter and noisier. You will know which option you personally prefer, but if you want a silent cold room this is not the place for you. North facing rooms do get a LOT of solar gain in the day, so if you are staying for more than one night make sure you leave the blackout curtains closed during the day.
On the higher floors (I was on 65) the views are spectacular. But the road noise does travel up, even if you are very high. Bring earplugs if you are highly sensitive to traffic noise, I think it was worth the view.
Personally I liked it and would be happy to use it again. Oh and the free internet is an additional bonus.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cafrinagain
MSABrisOnAdelai... B, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Brisbane on Adelaide Street, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Good afternoon cafrinagain,

Thank you for this very comprehensive review of your stay at the property, it seems that you enjoyed the apartment and views from level 65. We certainly try to provide guests with quality apartments that are fitted out with all the comforts you might have at home. Many travellers find apartments more appealing as you mentioned the flexibility to cook or do laundry will keep costs down on an extended trip away. Also good tip for any guests is to keep the block out curtains closed during the day, I guess that can be the downside of having floor to ceiling glass panels for the view.
Great review and we look forward to your return visit in the future.

Brisbane
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Overpriced. Reception Staff either cold or not up to it. Long time checking in. Shame as was looking forward to it. Never written a review before and probably wont again but something about experience at reception that made me feel insignificant on arrival and that is pretty bad given the price of the place. Also told going to be charged $20 for splitting the King Bed into a twin. Took the staff 3 minutes.

Room Tip: Be clear if you want a higher story room in advance as they are at pains at reception to tell you t...
Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Neath44
Good afternoon Neath44,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor, its certainly disappointing to hear our front desk not reach our usually high standards. I would like to apologise on behalf of the property, we appreciate all of our guests and would never intend to make anyone feel insignificant on arrival. I have forwarded your comments to my front desk team, we will continue training the desk staff to make sure we do not receive comments like this in the future.
Thank you again for the review, I hope you give Meriton on Adelaide st another chance in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Meriton. We had an apartment on the 23rd floor with views out toward the subhurbs of the city and a partial view of Storey Bridge. The floor to ceiling windows were great in allowing us to look out at the surroundings. The free wifi was a good facility as some hotels charge for this. The apartment was modern, clean and spacious with a living area, kitchen with washing machine and dishwasher and plenty of wardrobe space. There was a nice coffee shop next door for breakfast.

The reception staff were friendly and helpful answering our many questions courteously. The Meriton is about a 20 minute walk to the central shopping area and 10 minutes from the central business district. The free city loop bus stops about 7-8 minutes walk away.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer better views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Danny Boy 123
Good afternoon Danny Boy123,

Thank you for your review of our property, we certainly appreciate hearing from our guests regarding their stay at the property. Overall it seems you enjoyed the modern and clean apartment, also the views from the 23rd floor. I will be happy to forward your comments to my front desk team regarding their excellent customer service during the stay.
Meriton this year also included free Wi-Fi at all its properties as an added bonus for our guests. One GB of data is included per 24hr period and guests can upgrade this package for a small cost if more downloads are required.
Thank you again for the review, we hope to see you again in the future.

nyc
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I am not a fan of serviced apartments in general - I find them inflexible, poorly constructed and cost cutting; these apartments are no exception, just like the other local ones in their chain.

Check it was smooth and easy, I arrived about 50 minutes prior to 2pm and the room was available immediately. The girl was young and somewhat inexperienced but friendly enough. I immediately handed her my id and credit card when stating my name - I don't need an in-depth explanation about swiping a guarantee, I obviously know the cut of the jib since I handed over what was required without being asked.

The lifts aren't my cup of tea but I understand they are probably necessary due to the height of the building. You get allocated a lift when you swipe your card. You hop in and wait, wait, then the doors finally close. Whole process leaves you feeling impatient since there are no time indications of how far the lift is away etc.

First thought when I entered the room was the high temperature. It was 19 degrees outside and about 30 inside the apartment. The apartments are pretty much wall to wall glass exteriors - the height, sun capture and general high temperature point in Brisbane doesn't make for an ideal scenario for penny pinching with the air conditioning. The lowest temperature option is 20 degrees - hotter than outside (which I personally find to be uncomfortable as a person that prefers cold weather). There are two units (one in bedroom and one in lounge), very small and pretty much powerless - I was still physically sweating and feeling ill from the heat at 5pm as the apartment was still too hot even considering I drew down all of the blinds as soon as I entered. I finally received a cold temperature that enabled me to turn off the air-conditioning as I was too cold when hopping out of the shower at around 8pm. I know it costs xyz more to drop a unit from 20 to 18 - I don't care, Brisbane is hot year round.

The gym is a disgrace for a property of the scale and it's age. The treadmills are flimsy and not sturdy professional ones, there are two exercise bikes, a rower, 2 gym balls (both huge and soft cheap plastic that deflates as soon as they are pumped up) and a stand of hand weights. There were 3 people in the gym plus myself, I was forced to cut my work out short as there simply wasn't the space or equipment available. There are no water cooler or cups available down there that I could see, presumed this may be the case so bought me own with me. Closes at 10, would consider going back and seeing if less busy but I'm not able to.

There are no power points near the desk in the bedroom, very few that were easily accessible without moving heavy furniture to look besides the bathroom and kitchen.

There is no room service available but instead a folder with 2 menus from nearby (not even) restaurants. I ordered food from menu log, there were about a dozen choices that delivered to the hotel, is it really that hard for them to provide a more sophisticated list of available restaurants for those that are not internet savvy?

Bathroom is terrible, no counter space and the shower is probably the worst I've had in years. The shower head cannot be changed and it literally spits a mist out in a huge square. Even on low I could not escape the mist/shower without ruining my make up - I had to stand up the end of the shower with the head turned away and down but was still getting mist all over my face.

It's in a pretty poor location, CBD yes but 'wrong' end and there are few supermarkets or shops bar-convenience stores - a 10 minute walk into the city, it's just the uphill return that is the hassle.

All-in-all I don't have any particular complaints about the hotel - it's reasonably priced, new/modern and has basic facilities. Suitable for families that are looking for good value accommodation or business travellers that aren't so discerning about the in room and hotel facilities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
MSABrisOnAdelai... B, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Brisbane on Adelaide Street, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Good afternoon ladyfitch,

Thank you for your very detailed review of the Meriton experience you had with us. It seems as though you were never going to be impressed with our apartments, as you mentioned your not a fan of apartments and would prefer a hotel style room. Meriton certainly does not pretend to be anything other than Serviced Apartments, we also provide photo's and information to all our guests regarding what they will receive when staying with us. We believe that our product offers terrific quality and value staying in Brisbane CBD. Meriton is also open and honest regarding our location on Adelaide st, guests will then be able to do the necessary research before making a reservation to avoid any disappointment. We receive many positive comments from our guests that they actually prefer our location depending on their needs.
Unfortunately unlike hotels we do not have an onsite kitchen to provide our own room service. As a service to our guests we have provided a couple of delivery menu's in the apartments from local trusted suppliers. One of the menu's has over 15 restaurants will all types of cuisines listed, close by we have some of Brisbane's best restaurants all within walking distance .

Im pleased that overall you were satisfied with the stay and received what you knew a Serviced Apartment would provide. Obviously we would have like to have impressed you more as we want all guests to enjoy the Meriton experience. Thank you for the feedback and you have made some points we can use to improve for the future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is a new serviced apartment perched between Fortitude Valley and the city over looking the Brisbane river and Story Bridge. From the floor we were on (73rd floor!), we were able to see all the way out to the bay and beyond. We could even see the sand dunes of Moreton Island. The rooms have floor to ceiling glass to take full advantage of the views.

The apartment was modern and equipped with everything you would need to cook. There was also a washing machine, dryer and dishwasher. We rented a 2 bedroom and 2 bathroom place. It was very clean. We also noted that the bath tub was a decent size.

There is a Food Store opening up right beneath the building (although currently it is still under construction when we were staying there) but there is a Woolworths within a 5 minute walk, and a convenience store even closer.

There are many restaurants along the river at Eagle Street Pier within 5 -10 min walking distance, and right outside the building (literally) is Ecco, one of the better restaurants in Brisbane. It is also nice simply walking alongside the river. There are also the Eagle Street Pier markets on the weekends.

Fortitude Valley and China Town are a short walk down the road, and Queen Street mall is a 10 minute walk away.

The building itself has a heated indoor lap pool, a spa, sauna and a gym. We didn't use them while we were here but they were in excellent condition.

Downsides: we were a bit disappointed that we had to pay for bottled water -- at these prices, we think it should be free. Also, although there were limited cable tv channels available, for some reason most of the local tv stations were not available.

Room Tip: Rooms which are higher up have excellent views and are a bit quieter in terms of traffic
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Good morning Millandjust,

Thank you for taking the time to complete and online review of our property, it seems like you really enjoyed your stay and views on level 73. Other readers will appreciate your informative review advising on the local supermarkets, restaurants and location of the property. Thank you for also advising regarding the lack of television channels, all apartments should have local digital channels as well as Foxtel into the apartment. I will make sure each apartment is checked for this issue as a matter of priority.
kind regards,