“Smashing”

Sake Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #24 of 4,632 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Japanese, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Housed at the iconic Eagle Street Pier, Brisbane Japanese restaurant Sake is a chic designer space overlooking the buzzing Brisbane River. Served by the venue's dynamic team, let yourself be treated to the unparalleled atmosphere and innovative cuisine that has earned Sake Restaurant & Bar its reputation as the best Brisbane Japanese restaurant. Revel in the innovative menu by Head Chef Daiseke and Executive Chef Shaun Presland, who draw on traditional Japanese training and passion for unique local flavours to prepare some of Brisbane's most celebrated culinary creations. Awarded a Queensland Good Food Guide Chef's Hat every year since opening, Sake Restaurant & Bar has consistently remained the premier Brisbane Japanese restaurant. Strategically matched with an extensive sake, cocktail and wine menu, Sake Restaurant & Bar Eagle Street Pier aims to continually surprise and delight you with its dynamic, evolving menu. A variety of enticing dining options are available for you to choose from, whether entertaining, partying or simply looking to impress. With five private dining rooms, a communal banquet dining area, traditional Japanese sunken tables and a sushi bar, Sake Restaurant & Bar can cater to every intimate or elaborate dining need.
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Very pleased to have found Sake. A Wednesday lunch was a lovely way to finish a short stay in Brisbane. Our waiter was the very definition of professional; knowledgeable, helpful, at hand when needed and elsewhere when not.
It was tough ordering a sensible amount if food as there was so much temptation! Tuna tasting plate and pork belly with slow cooked egg were stunners. Actually it was all great. We will revisit... so many things we didn't eat, so much sake we didn't drink (driving, you know how it is).

There are newer reviews for Sake Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Went in for a lunch over the weekend and everything was sublime! The food was fantastic service prompt and friendly. Much better than any other Japanese in brisbane

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I'll start by saying that we walked away from Sake unsure what all the fuss was about. We booked at Sake because of a friends recommendation but me thinks they had too much Sake. I had really high expectations, when I saw the menu I was surprised by the prices, as I thought they were reasonably good value for such a highly regarded restaurant. But after eating, I changed my mind. We had the beef and pork belly miso which was both bland and chewy, followed by some $5 scoops of ice cream for dessert? Agree with a previous reviewer, the music is too loud and belongs in a night club and wait staff are very young which shows in their service (i.e. plates are cleared when we are still eating). Maybe all the rave reviewers had the chef's suggested banquet? which we did not. Because I find it hard to believe why this is such a popular place. I have had more enjoyable meals from the standard suburban Japanese restaurant for about half the price and less try hard.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I dined at Sake last week with my husband and his parents. Having been to Sake's Melbourne restaurant for a delightful lunch, I had high expectations.

The restaurant has capitalised on its prime location with a beautiful interior fit out. In line with their 'share plate' meals, we sat a long shared table with another party at the other end. Being a week night the restaurant wasn't full, so the other party were not at all intrusive. I first came across these long shared tables on a recent trip in Melbourne - this is the first I've seen of them at a nice restaurant in Brisbane.

The staff were friendly and professional, with a solid understanding of the menu and the wine list. Recommendations were saught, and recieved, for a suitable sake to end the meal. The food itself was fabulous. Very high quality, extremely fresh, and very well presented.

My only complaint is that the restaurant is very loud. We had trouble hearing each other during the night, and no hope of hearing the waiter explain the specials of the day. While a loud and bustling atmosphere is great for a lively evening at the bar, it's intrusive and uncomfortable for a restaurant meal, and quite unexpected for an early dinner on a Tuesday night. For this reason, we are unlikely to visit again for a meal. It's a shame, as the service and the food were so good!

If you're up for a loud and lively evening with great food and service, give it a go. If you want to actually converse with your dining partners during the evening, perhaps try one of the many other wonderful restaurants within the same complex.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Sake staff know their stuff...they understand the japanese menu inside out and were happy to share and answer questions. If you want an unpretentious but funky vibe relax at Sake, the lighting is easy on the eye as is the industro-asian decor...ahh

The cuisine is wow and all pro, served with pride and a smile...sashimi and dumplings were some of the best I have tried.

The Sake list needs its own search engine, luckily they have one, a Sake man who knew everything. We enjoyed both warm, cold floral and earthy samples. Worth a try so enjoyable! Surprisingly good selection of wine and beers too.

Overall this is a grounded and realxed dining space and pretty good value. There is a confidence and need to please that's reassuring and inviting. Great group dining options in the low set booths or private areas and a breezy bar for a pre-dinner drink. Remember to specifically book a separate table for two if you don't want to chat to others on the share tables. This will become a fav. Thank you :)