“Amazing food, could have better service.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jellyfish Restaurant

Jellyfish Restaurant
Reserve with
Jellyfish Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 4,262 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At Jellyfish we aim to source and serve daily a school of 8 to 14 species of fish, to learn about and understand the textures and specific qualities of each species so we can then recommend the best way to cook and serve it. Our chefs create sauces, batters and crumbs as well as an extensive range of side dishes that perfectly compliment the meal. Absolute riverfront, this is arguably the best located restaurant in Brisbane enjoying striking views of the river and the Story Bridge. The décor is fresh and bright with the lines between indoors and out delightfully blurred.We offer a superior wine list of boutique, eclectic and lesser known vineyards as well as firm favourites from the new and old world. Service in the restaurant, the 35-seat Private Dining Room and in our newly expanded bar is always gracious, friendly and relaxed.
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, could have better service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

So I'm not a seafood lover at all. I NEVER order fish when we eat out but, at the recommendation of friends, and due to my wife's love of fish/ seafood, we decided to try this restaurant.
I have to say, the food here is AMAZING. All of the fish and seafood is the best you can imagine.
I like the fact that a lot is sourced locally too.
The setting was fantastic, the decor perfect and the staff were friendly.
However, I do have to say, we could have done with more input from the staff with regards to portions and amount of food.
We each ordered a starter, a main with side dish and salad and that was A LOT of food. I feel that the waitress could have told us we'd ordered too much food and this would have kept the costs down. Also, when we arrived, we were asked if we'd like sparkling water (as she opened the bottle). I don't like sparkling water, my wife does, so I ordered still at which another bottle was opened- these were $7 each. I advise asking for tap water if you go.
So, for the 2 of us with a couple of drinks each, it came to $300!
I am actually really glad we went, but advise you to
a) have tap water
b) share salad
c) share side orders
d) be mindful of how much food you are getting- the portions are good sizes so don't go ordering loads of different dishes/ sides as you will not be able to eat it all.
if keeping costs down is an issue to you. If not, then go mad! Either way, it's a great restaurant.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank DNezmo

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Australia
“At the Jellyfish Restaurant in Brisbane Australia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Three of us dropped in at the last minute on a Thursday night. After a round of drinks they had quickly arranged a table for us which was helpful. No complaints about the waiter or the general service including the bar. Everyone was friendly and it made for a good evening with an old friend who was in town. All of us enjoyed the meal. I particularly enjoyed my grilled mahi mahi which I actually had not had in some time. The special mango-mouse was delicious for my desert. Perhaps because it is located along the Eagle St Pier it is a little pricey. But the food was very good and our waiter was very well informed.I like the videos on the screens of the sea creatures - great stuff.

1 Thank tevorolevu
Sydney
“Worth it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Fairly pricey, even for the Eagle St Pier strip, but worth it. This place was destroyed by flood in 2011 and has reopened better than ever. The chefs and owners really care about your experience and put a lot of work into the selectoion of fish and crustacea on offer. The night we went we sat next to a noisy table of 16 celebrating a birthday. Nonetheless, the 3 waiters in our station were attentive and communicated well so our meal flowed. Jellyfish is in the top group of Brisbane restaurants so expect very good food, especially seafood, attentive, informed service, extensive wine list and a pricing structure to match. It is extremely popular so book well in advance and arrive early to try one of their cocktails like the Angry Mt Gay Mule, my new favourite!

Las Vegas
“Food Good, Service marginal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Food is good at this restaurant, but you would want it to be at the price they charge. Service is a little on the amateurish side, and trying to talk to non english speaking staff in Brisbane was a surprise, especially as we wanted to clarify why our meals were not all brought out together, and not in the order in which we 'ordered'. We were surprised at the lack of 'basic service' (eg: no knife on table when food arrives, bread delivered a long time into the meal, and not soon after ordering it prior to entree - after multiple prompting). The Staff were clearly over-tasked (the waiter was 'sweating' and in a clear rush and even apologised for the lateness of service) - despite a $400+ meal for 4.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank familytravelleroften
Sydney, Australia
“Back for the food any day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Having called and been advised I didn't need a reservation I needed to wait in the bar for a little while - not too long, but if they were that busy (and the they were, then it might have been better of I'd been advised to make a booking).

A starter and drinks came out smartly. And I have to say that complementary hand cut chips for the starter were excellent, although perhaps a little salty. Perfectly cooked, with a beautiful mayonnaise and a touch of chilli. If it had been on the menu as an entree I would have ordered more. Though it was some time before anyone returned to take my order and I noticed that a couple seated a few minutes after me were able to order first (by a waiter who was wandering around looking a bit uncertain of what was going on). Though when he did finally arrive at my table he poured a quite generous amount of the wine I'd ordered by the glass. And once my order was taken my entree of salt and pepper squid came out very quickly (and sans the chorizo I'd asked to be left off, so I know it was cooked to my order). And it was simply superb, with clever and imaginative touches. 8/10. (8:40). I was then a bit surprised to find that my main course of golden snapper in soda batter with ginger dipping sauce (while, very nice - 7/10) came with the sauce and a wedge of lemon only. When I asked about this I was advised there was a separate accompaniments page on the menu that I'd obviously missed. Might have been nice to have had this pointed out at the time I was making my order.

All up I was served by more than eight people at various times, but alone with my empty plates or orders untaken for too long. All staff were unfailingly polite and nice, but it would probably work better if just one or two had responsibility for each zone. Tightening up the service to match the quality of the food would make this a very good restaurant indeed. And I'd go back for the food any day.

1 Thank Shirenomads