“A new favourite!”

Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Took my mother, wife, six year old and ten year old boys there on a Sunday night. Sultans offers a takeaway counter as well as a restaurant, so you walk through a quite pleasant lounge area to the restaurant proper.
We had no reservations, but were promptly seated. The decor is very nice, signed Turkish football team shirts seem a bit incongruous but they don't detract too much. There is Turkish music piped through, quite pleasant and certainly not too loud.
We were left enough time to ponder the menu, but not too long as to be annoying. We started with some breads, and some drinks. When they brought out the breads it was clear that the portions were going to be enormous, The special Turkish bread was enormous, fresh and tasty. A cheesy garlic bread wasn't of the same enormous proportions, but was delicious.
The mains came promptly, and were enormous. I ordered the grilled chicken. Served with rice, salad and mashed potato, on a bed of Turkish bread. The salad was nice, fresh and not drowned in dressing. The chicken was char grilled, enormous, tender and tasty.The mash and rice complimented it well.
My wife ordered the mixed grill and pronounced it delectable. My mother had opted for the lamb shish kebab, and to my surprise patiently worked her way through the entire portion. Too tasty to not finish she confessed. She pronounced the lamb to be tender yet flavoursome, and the course quite agreeable.
Shisha is available, and I retired to the outside rotunda for a round on the hookah. Quite a tasty grape flavoured smoke, and the rotunda features cushions and is well lit and decorated. Not quite the equivalent of a Shisha bar, but smoking laws being what they are, as good as can be expected.
There's a bar with couches and seating, and after shisha enjoyed some throat refreshment before departing.
The portion sizes, reasonable pricing, quality food and ambience are a winner for me. The service was not quite outstanding but only a notch down. The children were treated very well, and we were politely asked two or three times if everything was to our satisfaction. Which it was.
Brisbane has only a small Arab community, but they are well served by Sultans. The number of burqas and conversations conducted in Turkish and Arabic spoke to the quality and authenticity of the food. Go where the expats go, go to Sultans.
Outstanding all up, and I look forward to a return very soon.

1  Thank deucelow

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Best Turkish I've had in brisbane
Beautiful interiors, friendly service and definitely value for money.
Will definitely dine here again !

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have never tried Turkish before, so we decided to give it a go. We ordered a banquet, and wow.. there was so much food we could barely finish eating it all! It was all very nice, a very different taste. We pre-booked a table days before to ensure we could visit, and the waitstaff had no idea that we booked apparently. Waitstaff were okay, a bit rushed and stressed. We waited a while for meals, while watching a belly dancer. It was a bit hard to talk though, as the music was so loud. Was nice to try.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have reviewed this restaurant before, and wasn't that enamoured with it previously.
Last night we re-visited. ........... It will be the last time !

Saturday night and the place is, as usual, very busy. I have now concluded, it fills with people who do not know what to expect from Turkish cuisine, otherwise the place would not be so busy.

As previously stated in my last review, I have eaten Turkish food in Turkey, spent 7 years living in the middle east, where their cuisine is built around the ethos of Turkish and Lebanese cuisine. In fact Sultan's website states ..... " There are only 3 major cuisines in the world, Turkish, Chinese and French" ..... I appreciate that sentiment, all other cuisines could be thought to be offshoots of those 3. Hence middle eastern cuisine being based on Turkish.

So I reckon I may know what to expect when it comes to this kind of food.

So........... We arrive and 7 of us are sat at our table. 10 minutes and no wait staff visit the table with menus or to take a drinks order, so we have to ask.
Menus arrive and drinks ordered and delivered to the table, it takes as long as it takes to drink the first beer before we are asked to order our food, we do and also order 2 beers.
10 minutes later 2 orders of mixed dips and bread starter for the table arrive, 7 people and 4 pieces of bread .............. ? Oh, and still waiting for the beers.

After we finish all the bread and only half the dips, I asked for 2 more pieces of bread.
Now, 15 minutes later, no bread and you guessed ..........still no beer!!

So we have to ask ...................the beers arrive ( total waiting time of half an hour !!), but alas no bread. We'd all gone past that by now and decided not to pursue the bread.
Which never did arrive !!

I specifically perused the menu to find a dish that did not come with the ubiquitous bread, rice and mashed potato accompaniments. I chose a dish with no mention of them, it was "Ali Nazic", skewer of lamb with roasted aubergine. Guess what arrived ...................... the lamb kebab meat, with .........rice, bread and mashed potato !!!! They put a splodge of Baba Ghanoush in the middle and I suppose this was pretending to be the "Roasted Aubergine" !!!!

Now, here is what I don't get, .......... Turkish cuisine?...... Mashed potato ??..... Plain boiled white rice (no spices like cloves, cinnamon, cardamom) You tell me another Turkish restaurant that serves that with their meals. Add to that a big lump of bread, It's no wonder people are saying , oooh! the meals are generous. Yes, they are, the plates are piled high with inappropriate items of filling stodge that have no place on a plate of Turkish food!!

Can you actually get any more stodgy staple carbs to fill the plate than, bread, spud AND rice !!
Usually one suffices, but that would mean them having to put some other items on the plate, possibly Turkish in origin wouldn't it ? they are obviously not up to that !

Never mind that the dish I ordered didn't come with all that stodge, according to the menu. The stodge was itemised on a lot of the other dishes, but not mine ....supposedly.

So the whole table have finished our drinks half way through our mains, were we offered another drink? ......... you guessed correctly ... no ! not even right up to us asking for the bill an hour later.

Now we had our table cleared and were we offered menus to choose dessert ? ...... there's a pattern to this now, isn't there. So we asked...........again !!

Do you know what, people didn't want to order desserts, because we'd just had enough of waiting by then. So we got the bill, paid and left.

This is the 5th time I have eaten here over the past 5 years, and every time their service is pathetic. Yes, the place was busy, it always is and still the service is ALWAYS very very poor.
They obviously need more wait staff to improve their level of service, but they are not even attempting to improve, if after 5 years there is no increase in staff, then it ain't gonna happen. The staff ARE very pleasant, I feel they have to be to stop people wanting to complain to them, you DO see a lot of diners looking around to attract the staff's attention.
I expect waiters to notice when guests arrive , they should be OFFERED to order a drink, They should OFFER menus, Notice top up drinks are needed and OFFER to take an order, NOT forget orders made for drinks, NOT forget orders made for food.

The food is just simply NOT TURKISH RESTAURANT CUISINE.
I expect to see my mashed potato sitting next to my steak and kidney pie down the pub! ................not here.
I expect to see my plain boiled white rice next to my beef in oyster sauce down the Chinese ................not here.
I expect bread to be an accompaniment to a meal, not an actual ingredient on the main plate.
................not here.
What actual Turkish specialities they do put on the plate, are really very good, ie. their grilled chicken and lamb and Pides.
However, the kitchen sees fit to disregard what their menu states as the dishes accompaniments, and just sticks on the ubiquitous 3 lumps of stodge ............... no mention to the diner of course.

These 2 big flaws result in a 3rd big flaw .... Value for money ? .... No, not when you pay $23.00 for a little small bit of meat and a great big load of cheap plate filling stodge. Extremely poor value for your money.

So what, they lay on a bellydancer to liven the atmosphere up on a Friday and Saturday night, so do other Turkish/middle eastern restaurants in Brisbane.

Overall ............ Terrible service, terrible food and even worse value for your money.......................GO ELSEWHERE.

This review is not the result of a one-off bad experience, it is the culmination of 5 visits over a 5 year period.
I will continue to enjoy Turkish cuisine, just
..............Not Here !!

5  Thank Gordon C
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I have driven by this place so many times as we live locally and always wanted to try it. Friday night was the night and we thought it was excellent ! The restaurant itself is worth going to just to see the detail in the building and decorations. The menu is massive with heaps of choices, so many that we had no idea of what to order. We decided not to choose and just get the banquet option 1. We figured that we'd get smaller portions as it's a share thing and it cost $35 each for 3 courses. Definately not ! The portions were massive and was more than we could dream of eating. The best part was that anything we couldn't fit in, we could take away with us in containers. We ended up with 6 containers with bits from each plate that we were served and it taste great the next day :) The calamari was some of the best we've ever eaten, it was incredibly tender which is so hard to find these days. They had a belly dancer there which added to the experience and was great too. Overall an excellent night out, we will definately be going back.

1  Thank upforanadventure23