“A very interesting evening”

MADO Cafe and Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 4,892 Restaurants in Brisbane
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Being a fan of Turkish fare, we decided to try the Mado while on a quick stay in the city. We were able to get a reservation the same day (being a Saturday afternoon, we were not sure we would get one) was not an issue. The staff were very attentive and helpful. I ordered the Mado prawns and my wife had the lamb cutlets. The prawns were nice although I did find the sauce a bit soupy. I assumed it would be cremier, but the taste was still fine. The Lamb cutlets were to die for! Grilled to perfection and the seasoning was just right.
We were to early for the belly dancing, but returned later and the manager led us to a table so we could watch the show. I even gave in to temptation and enjoyed my first Shisha water pipe with apple tobacco since Cairo 20 years ago. Almost took me back with the dancer, and several folks enjoying a smoke. An enjoyable evening all around.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We were a group of eight and the best way to attack the menu was by ordering a banguet and we chose the Anatolian Banquet. The food was of a fresh, traditional, home-made style - and there was plenty of it. The night was one big event with many highlights - Turkish Bread fresh from the oven, crumbed calamari, spinach pide, mixed (chicken and lamb) grill, fruit platter and Turkish Delight ending with a Turkish Coffee! If anything our banquet choice meant we were served with too much food. The staff were very friendly, helpful and attentive throughout the night. The ambience was in keeping with the Turkish theme. The belly-dancer (who performs on a Friday and Saturday night) put on a great show and made the night a bit more fun as she encouraged people to join in.

Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

We found this place the other night and thoroughly enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Excellent service and traditional Turkish food - quite authentic.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have been here twice now. Food and service have been good both times. I ordered the Mixed Grill Platter and my husband had the Iskender Kebab. Mixed Grill was quite a large portion and I would prefer the meat to be more marinated (more spices). The Kebab was drowned in sauce, a bit too much for me, but my husband enjoyed it. We were there on a Friday night and there were supposed to be live belly dancing, but we did not see any. Perhaps we were there too early (6.30pm). All in all, a good option if you are after Turkish cuisine.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

My partner and I really enjoyed our recent dinner here: just off the beaten path in Southbank, with friendly staff and a great atmosphere. The mains we found pricey for what they were - the rice was delicious (!) but although my Andalusian chicken stew was great comfort food it was more blandly spiced than I expected. Maybe that's what Southbank patrons like! My partner's prawn mado special was a bit glutinous and the prawns were overcooked. I would try the resto again because it's a great place to spend some time, and maybe they were having an off day. :)

2  Thank wrlouis