“For the Beer Buff”

Thirsty Critters Microbrewery Tours
Ranked #22 of 36 Food & Drink in Brisbane
More attraction details
Owner description: Thirsty Critters is South East Queensland's original and best brewery tour! We visit some of Australia's greatest breweries including Burleigh Brewing, Stone & Wood, MT Brewery, Byron Bay Brewery, Brisbane Brewhouse & Bacchus Brewing. All tours include tasting beers at each brewery and lunch. A guided tour by a brewer at one of the breweries is optional. Groups of 6 or more are preferred, however a private tour option is available for smaller groups.
Brisbane, Australia
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“For the Beer Buff”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Good tours with tasting and then some more tasting, why stop there.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“top day out sampling some fine beers and visiting places i would never have found”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

A fantastic way to spend a day with mates. Toured some great breweries and distilleries, learnt a lot along the way, and was suitably hazy by the end. :-). Pete was a very relaxed and knowledgeable host. Will be doing it all again soon for sure!

Visited September 2010
2 Thank JaseP_5
“Great day out!!”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I actually went along to this solo after hearing about it on ABC's morning show (I think Spencer Howser hosts it?). From actually having a great time meeting new people, Pete's experience was actually insightful and I learnt a lot throughout the day. Planning the next one with a group of friends soon - can't wait!

Visited July 2011
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A beer lover's dream day out”
Reviewed February 2, 2011

From the moment the bus arrived at my house and greeted by Pete, my friendly tour guide for the day, I knew I was in for an awesome day. It didn't take long before my tour group and I were chatting together as if we had known each other for years and created a brilliant vibe that lasted a whole day of enjoying everything the Thirsty Critters Microbrewery Tour and the breweries we visited had to offer.

With all the amazing wine that I have read that is made up on MT, I was excited to learn that we would be stopping in at Witches Falls Winery. Here we sampled varieties of reds, whites, rose' and dessert wine. The friendly and helpful staff here were very knowledgeable about their wine and always found something you would like.

Next stop was MT Brewery which was just fantastic and the beer even better. We all received a tasting set of four beers from a variety of which would suit all beer tastes and were labeled with descriptions of each beer we had selected which was a nice touch. The meals on offer at the MT Brewery are varied and hit the spot nicely to continue tasting the beer-filled delights MT Brewery has to offer.

If that wasn't enough and like me you love your cheese, you absolutely must check out the cheese store located in the same complex, I've never seen so much delicious cheese in the one spot!

After leaving it was off to Castle Glen Liqueurs which was a hit with the ladies of our tour group and it was easy to understand why. They had every flavour imaginable in liqueur form. The owner was cheery and more than accommodating with our desire to taste as many flavours as we could!

Sadly it was time to head home but before we were dropped off, there was time (like always) for a few more beers! So it was West End's Archive Beer Boutique & Bistro that was chosen for our last couple of beers together and with the range of boutique beers here it was a perfect place to end our brewery tour.

To sum up the day would be easy to say it's a beer lover's dream day out. A day filled with fun, meeting new people, learning the processes involved with making these products and best of all - getting to taste them!

A big thank you to Pete for being an amazing and knowledgeable tour guide who was always ready to answer our questions and making our day a delight. I'm already hassling my mates to get on board to see what the Byron Tour has to offer!

Visited January 2011
1 Thank gavjam
pistola80, Owner at Thirsty Critters Microbrewery Tours, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Hey Gav! Thanks very much for the kind words! It was a pleasure having you and your group along on the tour. Glad you enjoyed it. Hope to have you back on another tour sometime!
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Good beer, good fun, great day out!”
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Being a Queenslander I like a beer, it's perfect for a hot day, a BBQ, an after work get together (you get the point). This curiousity/love only increased when I discovered mircrobrews! Which is what prompted me to go on a Thirsty Critters Tour.
We have some amazing Microbreweries in South East Queensland and the only frustrating thing is that they are spread pretty far and wide.....so after a visit to one driving becomes a big problem! This is where Pete (the driver, tour guide and all round good guy) comes into play.... He drives, you drink the beer. Perfect!
I have been on a few Thirsty Critters Tours now and the breweries visited are all unique but united in their love of good beer.
MT (Mount Tamborine) is a modern brewery up the mountain with a well versed staff who can suggest options and the order for consumption of your tasting platter, there's a big beer garden and entertainment on weekends. Burleigh Brewing at the Gold Coast has a bar and lounge with mini-ping pong, fusball and endless beer on tap.
Across the border - Stone & Wood in Byron Bay offer a tour of a working microbrewery and the guys are so passionate as they explain how their signature beers came to be. Byron Bay Brewery - recently renovated but still oh-so-Byron... wonderful beers (with a fantastic tasting guide to help you plan your beer menu) and a relaxed courtyard to enjoy them in.
In Brisbane we have the Brisbane Brewhouse (which is recently re-opened and relocated to Wooloongabba) and then Archive Beer bar is always worth a visit - not a microbrewery as such but an Australian Beer bar with an amazing microbrew menu. And Bacchus Brewing at Capalaba - for the home brewer this is a must. Ross (the owner) is so enthusiastic and will take you through the brewing process, explain what their business has to offer (either brew on premises or brew at home yourself using their recipes/ingredients) and even better - there are now something like 10 beers available for tasting, included in your visit of course.
Anyway - the short message is that for beer lovers this is a great day out. Pretty much all inclusive, unless you want take home cartons or beers in excess of the tasting trays but be warned : those tasting trays really have a way of sneaking up on you!!
Pete is super flexible with the planning of your tour and you can customise your day out to suit your group (mixing and matching any of the places above depending on what you're really interested in seeing). You can tell Pete is a beer fanatic and enjoys these tours as much his guests.
A truly great day out regardless of the season or the weather. I would recommend to anyone who is looking for something fun or different to do in Brisbane!

Why thank you HappiestTraveller! It was a pleasure having you along on the tour. Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you had a great day out. Cheers!