“Pleasant and interesting food - but too much information and odd Rabbit-like desert”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ortiga - CLOSED

Ortiga
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you are looking for a relaxed, reasonably priced, reasonably sized meal rather than a culinary experience, I would try Ortiga another night. The restaurant has a pleasant atmosphere, some of the dishes were really interesting, but it is not what most people (at least most Melburnians) think of as tapas. If you are a very keen cook, then you would probably find the detailed descriptions of the dishes, both before you order and AFTER the dish arrives, very interesting and informative. For me, I would have preferred to skip the very detailed description of the meal when it arrived. I would rather not have the waitress pointly closely - and at length - to elements of the food I am about to eat. However, other people with different tastes might find this a real plus. What is definite is that the wait staff know all about the dishes, the style, the ingredients and the cooking methods and are genuinely very keen to share this with patrons. If you are equally keen to hear about it, this is definitely the place for you. It was clear that the staff were pleased to work there - that is a wonderful thing and produces a good environment for patrons.

I regret my choice of dessert. It sounded spectacular on the menu but what arrived was about six tiny egg spoonfuls of variously chocolate and mango rich, thick icecream set out in a small semi-circular row on the top quarter of a plate roughly sprinkled with large biscuit crumbs. I do not pretend to be a chef or a connoiseur, but it looked a lot like exotic rabbit droppings and the taste was OK but nothing special. And there wasn't enough droppings.

Many of the other dishes were excellent with interesting tastes (although small) and the service was friendly, highly professional and very attentive - hence I have rated Ortiga very good. This is a place to go if you are are keen on the culinary arts and want to have an Experience rather than just a pleasant, excellent quality meal.

• Visited February 2013

Sydney, Australia
“Fabulous, but beware the wine list”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

The food is exceptional, and the service is attentive without being overbearing. Armed with a warning from friends who blew $2k for 6 people a few weeks before, I approached the wine list carefully. It is one of the best wine lists in the country, but when enquiring about the Riojas the sommelier was guiding me towards wines costing $400 a bottle! I chose a $60 Rioja, which was decanted for us and it tasted sublime. We spent only $300 per couple and had an amazing meal. Do be adventurous, try the sweetbreads as they are so delicious, and of course the hams, of which there are innumerable varieties, they're all good. For the consummate Spanish gourmet experience this is hard to beat.

“Fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

After a recent run of disappointing experiences with the Brisbane dining scene, I was slightly apprehensive when a friend had told us they booked a table at Ortiga. "Please get it right!" I said to myself.

Thankfully this restaurant delivered. The night started with a glass of champagne in the bar upstairs. My partner and I arrived a bit late but within the first minute one of the friendly bar staff had already poured and given us a glass of champagne without asking.

Stellar service and the food was just phenomenal. My favourite dishes for the night were the grilled Scampi done with chicken and calimari, and the Kingfish cerviche. Both full of flavour and very satisfying. The somellier was extremely knowledgable when it came to the wine list and helped us choose 2 beautiful Rose' and a standard spanish Red which I can't remember the name of now. The wines complimented the meals perfectly.

The only downfall was probably dessert, although not a fail, I felt that it didn't reach the same standards as the other dishes on the evening. The three desserts ordered by the table were too busy and didn't really blow our minds. I think next time I will just stick with the cheeses.

The setting of this place is fantastic and has a real intimate feel.

At only $112 a head with six people, this place represents really good value on the fine dining scene.

Overall 4 stars...probably would have received 5 if that dessert was slightly better.

• Visited March 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

The decor and fit out of the restaurant give a clean and classy feel as soon as you walk in the doors. Having a beer at the well stocked bar before being seated was a pleasure and added to the ambience.

Not being familiar with Spanish food I don't feel qualified to comment on how 'authentic' or 'Spanish' the food is. What I can say is that the food is made from high quality produce. It is a pure delight to watch the incredibly professional kitchen staff at work on the dishes in the open kitchen, no Gordon Ramsey egos or panic, just professionals going about their job with a minimum of fuss and a maximum of concentration.

The food was a little slow getting to the table, but given the amount of work that goes into each dish and the quality of the end result the wait is more than justified. The food is very flavoursome and a different experience to those of us brought up on food from the French schools.

• Visited December 2012
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth the wait....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

It took a while to get to Ortiga. This is not the sort of restaurant you book into on a whim. For Friday and Saturday nights, be prepared to book a few weeks in advance. We went for my husbands birthday , and had a wonderful night , grazing through 7 of the shared (Tapas) dishes on the menu. Each dish was well balanced in flavour , spanish in soul but taken up to fine dining standard , and serving size ( think small , but beautifully presented plates )
Great service, with each dish introduced and explained.
Ambience is good , but the hard floors and walls do make it a little noisy.

• Visited February 2013