Spicers Balfour Hotel
$149
$144
Travelocity
  • Room Service
Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
$82
$73
  • Pool
Hotel Jen Brisbane By Shangri-La(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
$93
$86
  • Restaurant
Mantra South Bank, Brisbane(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
$148
$120
$78
$110
$107
Hotwire.com
$80
  • Pool
All reviewsrooftop barboutique hotelhonesty barstory bridgethe main hotellovely boutiquehigh teasmall hotelbrunswick streetfarm parkjames streetnespresso machinequiet streetinner citybreakfast was deliciouslittle toucheswonderful stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Just like a luxury home away from home. We had a very nice and cosy stay. You're made to feel at home and very welcome by the staff. Free parking is offered. The food is fantastic and the roof top bar with Canapés is fantastic watching the sunset.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Spicershotels, General Manager at Spicers Balfour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dearest Heath W

Thank you so much for your kind words, it was lovely hosting you on your stay. Always nice to have such a lovely couple stay with us.

I am glad that you enjoyed the complimentary parking and Canapés as part of your stay. Peter (Head Chef) enjoyed reading your comment about the fantastic food and we hope to see you back with us soon.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I loved our time at Balfour and found it to be everything we expected and more. We have stayed at all the Spicers retreats, they are all different yet always impressive. Quality fit outs, excellent service, friendly staff and delicious 5 star food. Our room was cosy, restful and romantic. The bed felt like we were sleeping on a cloud.
We didn't leave the hotel as it was all too good, as always a great experience.
Well done for providing something unique in Brisbane.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2013

There is a group of major hotels that has the laudable philosophy “You come as a guest, return as a friend and come back as family”. Spicers Balfour manages somehow to short circuit that with ease.
My wife and I spent just one night there and left knowing that we had immediately acquired a new and entrancing extended family of smiling experts in hospitality. It starts with the ball of enthusiastic efficiency that is Willie Smuts, the affable South African GM and extends to every smiling, can do, member of staff whom we encountered.

Everywhere there is evidence of attention to the smallest detail and the quest for excellence. From the charming rooftop bar with views over Brisbane, where we had canapés and cocktails before going to our table nestled in the trees where we enjoyed a splendid dinner and truly excellent service.

Our room on the main floor had a veranda, also amongst the trees, with comfortable easy chairs and a dining table. We were delighted to see a spout dispensing filtered, very hot or cold water at a touch and a Nespresso machine for our use. We mentioned that there were no Ristretto capsules, but when we returned to our room there they were, along with the extensive breakfast menu, a turned down, very comfortable king bed, chocolates on the splendid pillows and our veranda table laid with good linen ready for us in the morning.

When we rang to have our brekker things cleared it was Willie himself who came to do it. No wonder we cannot wait to go back to see our new family and for a longer stay and to sample some of the other fascinating establishments in this delightful group.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I booked for 2 nights after seeing such great reviews for this place. I had high expectations after looking at all the beautiful pictures online. However when I arrived, I had extremely difficulties finding a car park. This alone ruined my holiday as we had already driven a long way to get here, and we were definitely not in the mood to be searching. Also, I agree with the other comments on the closeness of the restaurant, although I am not sure what could be done about this? Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: If you plan to stay, don't plan on driving.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank aubrey l
GM_Spicershotels, General Manager at Spicers Balfour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear Aubrey

I am really sorry to hear that you could not find a parking space with us. Usually if that happen our guests will just park at the front of the hotel and mention that they could not find a park and we will park their car for them as we have 2 properties in the street. I would love to talk to you regarding your parking experience and just find out if you asked the team about parking your car. All our guest that stay at Spicers Balfour hotel knows that if they are not fully satisfied with a service or situation to just ask and we will do everything in our power to set it right. This is not just because we pride ourselves in our service but because we genuinely care and I am sorry if you were made to feel any different on your stay.

We take all feedback on board and I will just take the opportunity to thank you for your feedback as this gives us the opportunity to potentially deliver a better service to our guests.

With the restaurant in mind I thought I will shed some light on your feedback. This is not your traditional white wall hotel where you have to walk 5 min to just get to reception and you are just a number and have a key to open a room. We are a small intimate boutique hotel and while it’s busy during the day it’s extremely peaceful at night being outside of the city and that is why we chose to close the restaurant at 09:30 pm at night that it stays peaceful in the hotel when it comes to bed time.

I would hate not see you back at the hotel just because you could not find a parking space, if there is anything else you would like to share that myself and my team can improve please let me know.

My private email number is gm.balfour@spicersgroup.com.au and my personal mobile is (0)427 144 506. Please feel free to contact me at any time convenient for you. I would really love the opportunity to set this right and hopefully be a part of your travels in the future.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

There's a lot going on at Spicers Balfour Hotel and maybe not enough square footage to accommodate it all, especially with the high volume of non resident guests. A previous review describing it as a 'Restaurant with rooms out the back' makes a good point.

Having spent a few days in the area, we did get to realise that staying at Spicers Balfour Hotel was a good opportunity to stay in a restored Queenslander house. The verandah, which is used for dining, is very pleasant. At the top of the house, configuring the bar to view the Storey Bridge is inspired, fantastic view.

Arrival can be a bit anonymous (we were all travelling so no previous phone call) but once contact is made the welcome is very warm and you are shown round. Throughout our visit the staff were always friendly and accommodating.

It's a boutique hotel, but it's also bijou - the rooms are small, possibly emphasised by the dark tones of the decor. Bed comfortable, lovely linen, but not king size. Nespresso coffee machine and automatic hot/cold water machine (why no kettle we thought at first, but now want one at home). Plunge/cafetiere available, also coffee bean grinder machine if you travel with your own beans. No fridge. (An instant Pot Noodle was included in the 'mini bar' in ironic (?) contrast to the surround tastefulness!)

However...the layout of the hotel is such that we doubt any room will be truly peaceful. The bar, restaurant and kitchens are the core of the hotel and the rooms are shoe-horned around the edges. Night was quiet, but long days are busy at Spicers Balfour Hotel...In addition to Breakfast, Espresso and Afternoon Tea, the Balfour's Kitchen now does Dinner, so all day there is a high volume of non-resident business. Very enterprising, but servicing this generates a fair amount of activity and noise.

The Balfour breakfast seems to be a destination item, particularly at weekend. Residents are guaranteed a place but for us last Sunday it seemed touch and go. We also had to wait a while for the food to arrive which was a bit tense as we had to check out, thankfully one of the team appreciated this and put us at our ease.

Overall a lovely contrast to larger 5 star chain hotels, but volume of non resident business can make things hectic.

Room Tip: Pay proper attention when you are shown how things work in your room - it's dark fittings on a dark surface so not always obvious which switch is which later on.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LondonVectis
GM_Spicershotels, General Manager at Spicers Balfour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Dear LondonVectis

We are happy that you enjoyed the lovely contrast of Spicers Balfour Hotel and it’s always nice to host personalities from all over the world.

Thank you for your feedback, November is traditionally a very busy month for us and with the Ashes week in Brisbane it all adds.

With the hotel being busy we will always ensure we look after our in-house guests and I hope you enjoyed the team.

Thank you again for your valued feedback, we ensure we use this information to train our team, make changes where possible to ensure your stay is truly memorable.