“OK...but a bit noisy and not very close to any services” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quest Ascot

Quest Ascot
Ranked #23 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Adelaide, Australia
“OK...but a bit noisy and not very close to any services”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

I'm writing this review very early in the morning in part because the train line just behind this hotel makes any rooms at the rear quite noisy. I think there is a crossing nearby because the train drivers give a nice long blast of the horn just behind the Quest Ascot! Not fun at 0500 hrs. There is also a major road behind this hotel and from about 0430 the road noise started to pick up too. I think if you get a room close to the front of the hotel it may be a lot more peaceful.

The room is neat and clean - and I'm glad it had a washing machine and dryer because Qantas lost my bag on this flight and all I had was the gear I was wearing and my trip from Perth to Brisbane via Sydney took pretty much all day - and yes I think my clothes were not going to smell too good the next day - so I appreciated that these are fully equipped rooms.

The showers are the in-the-bath type and the sliding glass door had dirt or mould in the frame. Maybe this sounds pickky but the state of the bathroom is a good way to tell a good hotel from a great hotel I reckon.

I had to use the iron too and that was fine but the ironing board was pretty old and the cover didn't fit properly and the iron was a cheap old one with all scorch marks on it. Hey - it did the job but...

Unfortunately the room didn't have any washing powder on hand - but to the credit of the night manager, he came straight out at 11.30 pm to get some for me and he did so quite willingly. That's good service.

I had to check in quite late - the reception was closed but the key was left out for us in a small safe behind the office. The after-hours buzzer brought a quick response and the after hours contact just gave me the safe combo (simple push button type) and hey presto - I had my key!

Bed was quite comfortable and noise aside my night's sleep wasn't too bad. Reading lights in the bedroom were not that good so if you want to read in bed you'll probably strain your eyes.

This hotel is not very close to shops or services and for a newly arrived late night guest minus his bags this was not that easy. However there is a Caltex mini-mart about a 10 minute walk away and I managed to get pretty much everything I needed there. I see that another reviewer has noted that there is a big shopping centre nearby. I don't doubt this but it wasn't something easy to find late at night (probably shut anyhow!).

I chose this place because it was close to the airport, but I think next time I'd probably go for a hotel closer to the CBD. Overall I'd say this hotel is OK....but nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: Ask for one near the front away from the railway line - unless your a train enthusiast of course!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank HaydnAustralia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Rangiora, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

Fantastic shower pressure and a really powerful hairdryer.
Not the most beautiful decor but had comfy bed, tv, alarm clock and kitchenette, as well as tea/coffee facilities. The pool seemed like it would have been a good spot on a sunny day.
You'd need a car since there's not much around in terms of dining and shopping.
And if you are travelling with lots of luggage, request a room on the ground floor since there's no lift that I could see.

Room Tip: Request a ground floor room if you have heavy suitcases.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Barcaldine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

We have stayed at this motel about three times now and always enjoyed the accommodation. The great location, spacious rooms, parking and value for money keeps us coming back.

It is only a quick trip to the airport and close to the city, with a big shopping centre also nearby, plus the convenience of Racecourse Road around the corner with all the al-fresco dining and boutique shops.

The apartments themselves are starting to look a bit dated, but they are still modern and most importantly clean. There is heaps of room and we LOVE the huge balconies - we have a toddler so this is a big bonus! Parking is free and off the street, and the pool is lovely too.

Outside of the city, this is our favourite place to stay and we will continue to make it our 'home away from home' in future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony or pool side - so much more room and nice to relax outside.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

Flight was late due so we arrived after 8pm. As reception was open we went in. The first thing that got us was the smell. Just horrid. The woman behind the counter informed us she had charged our credit card even though I had said at booking I would pay cash. She did credit my card but seemed brassed off. Then we left to find our room by ourselves. I am used to a hotelier physically showing the room. No fresh milk either. The first thing when we opened the door was the smell. This time it was chlorine as they had left the door open on the pool side. It was extremely strong, my husbands eyes were stinging all night and I had a bad headache. The room itself was tiny, the bed was extremely uncomfortable and the electric kettle that was supplied could not fit under the one and only tap in the bathroom. The floor was so dirty it was sticky to walk on.
I note this establishment gives itself a 4 star rating - yeah right!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ishkaa

Travelers are raving about these Brisbane hotels

Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Quest Ascot is well located for we racegoers but its faults were numerous, and fairly amusing really! There was a sign saying if you want to sleep in put up the 'do not disturb' sign - and there wasn't one. The kettle didn't fit under the tap. The key to open the balcony was strongly attached to the card to put in the power slot, when u took it out the lights went off and you couldn't see enough to use the key! Maids knocked on nearby doors very loudly early in the morning yelling ROOM SERVICE so no chance of a lie in. Room was on the small side and basic. Pass!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

Warning, don't stay here unless you don't mind spending $350NZ per night for a two bedroom unit that has one two seater couch. Rest assured the rest of you will have to sit on a hard wooden floor approx 2m from the television. My husband, 17mth old and I travelled to Brisbane for a family holiday with friends an their 3yr old. We chose these appartments because they were two bedroom and close to the airport. What an absolute rip off to charge $350 NZ per night for what they provided. You at least expect to be able to sit on a couch for that money. Further to this we were told a porta cot could be added to each room along with the queen/double bed. When we arrived the cot did not fit in one room and we had to push the bed up against the ensuite door. meaning I had to climb over the bed to get into the bathroom. At 27 weeks pregnant I thought this was disgusting, especially at that price. When I complained, we returned to the unit to find the owners solution was to place the cot half way into the wardrobe, where our infant had to sleep for the next two nights! The showers were filthy, unit substandard, one two seater couch was completely unacceptable, no coffee plunger or bottle opener, phone was not working so I had to ring via NZ to reach reception at my cost as it was located some disatance from the unit. The water was cold and we had to boil the jug for the kids bath and we even had to tune the TV ourselves. These people are praying on the fact that you have already paid for the unit prior to arrival. I complained but it fell on deaf ears as they already had their money! Be warned.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank cwearne
charleville, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

We had the pleasure of staying here for one night before we flew out of the Brisbane Airport early the next morning.

I would recommend this place to anyone needing to stay from 1 night or long term stay as they are fairly self-contained (can't remember whether it had an oven but definitely a microwave).

We arrived late in the evening but having informed them of this, check-in was open until 7pm which we just made. The young fellow on the counter was very friendly and helpful in telling us where our room and carpark was and I was able to pay straight away so we could check out early.

The unit (1 bedroom) was very well appointed and had everything we needed. Bedroom, bathroom with laundry, kitchen/ette and lounge-room. Everything was clean and tidy. Very happy with our stay.

It is a short walk from Racecourse Road which has ample restaurants,eateries and even a 7-11 for grocery items. Great location if you are staying in town and going to the races also!

I was very happy with the unit given to us. I had read the previous reviews on Trip Advisor but gave it a chance anyway due to its location and amenities and was very pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family