“Great atmosphere and lovely people!”

Minto Colonial Hostel
Ranked #72 of 129 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Mudjimba, Australia
“Great atmosphere and lovely people!”
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I stayed at Mintos in August this year together with a friend and had a great time! I loved the location, it is close to Westend with its bars and the city centre is easy to reach as well, you can even see it from the veranda where we spent quite some time in the evenings. The owners were very friendly! I felt really welcome at Mintos! Thank you for a great holiday in an absolutely stunning (and clean) house!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Byron Bay, Australia
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Minto was exactly what I needed for my week-long stay in Brisbane; a budget room, in a convenient location, without the chaos and drunken party vibe that usually dominates city backpackers. Clean and well organized, with great facilities. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the road do get a lot of traffic noise, so try and avoid these if it is an issue fo...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Kane S
Munich, Germany
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I am also shocked because of some bad reviews from April that I really want to correct a few things about Minto as I want to describe my own experiences, which are very different.

I stayed at Minto for 8 weeks from June to August and enjoyed it very much. My arrival was in the middle of the night and so I also got a welcome note with phone numbers to call and my room number. I think the welcome notes are very helpful as there cannot be there anyone the whole day. There is no reception as you would have in normal hostels, which is quite nice because then it really feels like a home and not as an anonymous hotel. I know that any other welcome in any other hostel is less warm and unpersonnal than it is in Minto.

The house itself is an old queenslandstyle house and very tasteful furnished. The walls are coloured and there are big chandeliers, so it all looks very stylish. The kitchen is very big and nice to cook in. The living room is comfy and has a big flatscreen TV and a little library and DVDs. The rooms are all very well furnished as well, with furniture from IKEA, which I personally like a lot. The garden and terrace are lovely to sit at and have breakfast in the sun and there are deck chairs to lie in the sun. It does not feel as living in a hostel at all, more than a big shared house with nice people. The walls are not the thickest, and you sometimes hear things going on outside but I suppose you can’t change this. Furthermore, the hostel is not a party hostel at all, which I really liked because if you have to work you want to sleep during weeknights. So if there were any people trying to party they were sent somewhere else after 10 pm by the owner which is very fair for those who really need to sleep. So if you prefer to party in the hostel you should probably stay somewhere else instead.

The staff is very friendly and listen to every problem you have. I got everything I asked for, a heater, a second lamp, more towels, a new mattress, … immediately and for free. You also get clean towels and sheets every week. The house and bathrooms also were very clean. I even got to move around between the rooms a few times because I didn’t feel comfortable with living downstairs or had problems sleeping because of the mattress. This was no problem at all and I even didn’t have to move my stuff myself.

The area Highgate Hill, where the house is located, is beautiful as it is right next to the West End which is the hippest area in Brisbane with very nice cafes, bars and markets. Within a 2 minutes walk from Minto is a little supermarket which is open 24 hours, (but unfortunately not the cheapest), a Thai, an Italian and an Indian restaurant, a bakery, a pharmacy, a laundry and a bottle shop. Coles is exactly a 13 minutes walk away, and by bus it takes perhaps 8 minutes to get there. The bus stop for the 196 bus is right in front of the student house and it serves West End, the cultural centre, the city and the Valley as well as the University of Queensland where I studied during my stay. The hostel is located at a big hill, which has a nice view at nighttimes over Brisbane.

The owners just opened another little hostel a week ago which belongs to Minto and which is a 2 minutes walk away of the main house, right across the garden. This new one, which is called ‘Annexe’ has only five rooms (three are upstairs and two are downstairs) and even feels more like a normal home than the other. It basically is a nice little queenslandstyle house with a lovely little kitchen, 2 bathrooms and a living area with flatscreen TV as well. It also has a big pool and a second little kitchen downstairs. The facilities are exactly the same as in the other house, but this little one is much more quiet, as it is not on any big street. I would prefer the rooms which are upstairs. I suppose this new house will be fully booked all the time during summer as it really is as renting a real holiday house with a pool. I personally preferred the bigger house because I like having people around all the time, but if you prefer a little more solitude and quietness, this is the perfect house to stay.

I would recommend Minto without any doubt to everybody, especially for a long-term stay as it is a very special hostel and really feels like home.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank DeepRed88
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 17, 2011

After reading the last 2 reviews i must say i am shocked, and felt compelled to write a review simply to balance out the unfair comments the previous reviewer had written. I stayed at Minto Student house back in June with a friend and i have to say it was the best hostel we stayed at during our 5 weeks holiday.
The owner was very friendly and made us feel so welcome, nothing was too much trouble and the other guests were all very considerate of each other.
we loved that we were staying in an old Queensland house that had so much character, not to mention the beautiful veranda with views of Brisbane city. The beds were comfortable, linen was clean and the bathroom was very stylish (always had hot water too)! All in all i would recommend this to all my friends and family as it really is more then what i expected for my dollar. All the best Minto Student House : )

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank calstar30
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week and chose Minto because it was cheap and had a good location.
When we arrived there was no one to greet us but a message saying where we could find our room. This didn't bother us at all though.
Our room was next to the bathroom on the main floor. It was clean with a tv and fridge. There was a living area with a good sized tv next to the kitchen. The kitchen was good spacious and had fantastic facilities.
Our sleep was very average. the Walls were really thin and were woken up early every morning by the interns staying at Minto who had to leave. This is an old colonial house so it has charm but you hear every sound outside your room. The noise got even worse when a large family stayed near the end of the week. The kids were up very early kicking a ball on the landing!! Ridiculous!
The staff were very strange. Nathan and the older guy never bothered introduce themselves which we thought was utterly rude. The woman was only slightly better. It took her 2 days to introduce herself and the rest of the time she was very quiet. She did show us how to use the oven!
The location is good. We loved Southbank Park. Absolutely gorgeous place with great food outlets and only a 10 minute walk.
We used the ferry at SouthBank to get to the main shops.

• Stayed June 2011
5 Thank Luce_87
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2011

This hostel is run by an extremely rude owner who has a female sidekick who has no communication skills whatsoever and is scared of him.
On arrival we were met by a group of intimidating rough young men who had been drinking- the owner was no where to be seen-our name and room no had just been left on a board- the men told us where our room was -it was in the kitchen- very small and like something out of a 1930s film
The owners sidekick eventually turned up and said oh you found your room then she then disappeared -no welcome or anything
I later asked her if there was a tv available for the room and she disappeared and then returned with the owner-an extremely rude older man with a massive chip on his shoulder-and he gave me a lecture about how rooms in hostels in Australia do not have tvs - which is not true as we had stayed in lots of private rooms in hostels and most of them had tvs,
Thr room we had been located in the kitchen was totally unacceptable as you could smell all the cooking smells and it was next to the sink-so every time someone used the taps it would wake you up-you just could not get any sleep.
We decided that we would have to speak to the owner and politely asked if we could be moved to another room-he then threatened to EVICT us-stating that there was another hostel down the road that we could stay at
We were so shocked-I am still really angry about it today and I feel that if one of us had been male he would never have spoken to us in this manner,he said I CANT FORCE SLEEPING TABLETS DOWN YOUR THROAT.
I told him that he had no right to speak to us in this way-he said that he was trying to help us-and then starting telling us all about his sad life and about how he sleeps in a different room in the hostel every night and that he had had complaints about the room before
We slept there that night because we were shattered- but we didnt sleep at all-the next day he came creeping round us and said that we could have a room downstairs but that there were moscitoes down there.
We stayed in the room because we didnt have the energy to move our stuff and had an early flight the next day-this was the worst experience we had encountered-this man has got serious issues that he needs to address-one of the first ones should be that you do not intimidate female travellers just because you think you can get away with it.
My advice would be stay well away from this hostel-it is also up a very steep hill and miles away from the shops-he also provides no transport to or from the airport.
Stay away.

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank cupcake51
England
Reviewed May 6, 2011

We stayed at the Minto student house because of its good reviews. I have no idea why this place gets good reviews at all! We had an awful experience!

When we got there, there was a sign stating your name and your room number - no reception, no welcome. What's funny is that it says a phone number to ring if there is no one at reception, but there is NO reception!

We were put in a room that was in the kitchen, like a kitchen cupboard really. You could here EVERYTHING going on in the kitchen - if someone ran a tap it was literally next to you. We asked the woman who works there if it was possible to move to another room due to this issue- she went to get the owner who walked in and rudely stated that he was 'taking us somewhere else.' No sorry, nothing about if there was another room. He spoke to us like we were stupid - he was so insulting. He said it 'wasn't his fault he couldn't force sleeping pills down our throats' and we had other 'issues' going on.

We were totally shocked by this and have never been spoken to like that, especially when we were paying guests. He then stated that as we had booked online we had paid less than we should have anyway so should basically shut up. It said on the welcome sheet in the room to ask for any help or if we had any questions but when we did he threatened to evict us. What a joke. When we asked him why he spoken to us like that he couldn't respond, and we did not know what to do. As two women on our own we felt very threatened and in total shock.

The owner sleeps in one of the rooms every night - whichever is free, which was a bit creepy, and the whole place has a strange atmosphere which some quite strange characters - it did not feel safe.

As for the place itself, it is on a very steep hill and Coles is about a 30 minute walk. There is a train station about 15 minute walk away but you might as well stay somewhere central in Brisbane as the area is dodgy and not nice to walk around.

We regret ever booking this place - I am still in shock about how rude and insulting an owner can be to its guests - absolutely disgusting and out of order.

Please consider how threatening and disgustingly rude the owner can be before booking this place. I don't want him upsetting anyone else like he did us.

• Stayed April 2011
4 Thank dancingqueenuk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brisbane
Swiss-Belhotel Brisbane
#112 of 129 in Brisbane
No photo provided
Isla House - PA
#65 of 129 in Brisbane

Been to Minto Colonial Hostel? Share your experiences!