“Good pub food at a great price”
Review of The Shelter Bar

The Shelter Bar
Ranked #1,206 of 4,731 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Description: The Shelter Bar is unique in Brisbane! Yes it has great food, a vast selection of beverages ,a laid back atmosphere and terrific staff. It also has an historic story. Have a look around and realise those huge concrete pillars are holding up the Story Bridge! Wow.. Then your eye spots the rustic concrete walls at the back of the chill lounge or housing the gaming room and the toilets. During World War II ,the great General MacArthur directed the construction of 4 bombshelters under the bridge to protect the workers who were building ships for the war effort at Evans Deakin Shipyards which were down the road from the pub. If a siren sounded the workers were to take shelter in these bunkers. Thankfully they were never needed. One would assume the bridge would have been the target of a bombing raid and not the best place for a bombshelter but the shipbuilding was the priority. This is a good point opportunity to reflect on those who have gone before us. Enjoy your visit.!
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I went here for a friends going away lunch. I had the chicken and mushroom pie with mash and beans which was $13.90 the meal was great, it was a cold day and just what I needed and for $13.90 I honestly didn't expect it to be that crash hot, but it was extremely tasty and hit the spot. I have to say the beans were the best I have ever eaten, and I have eaten at a lot of restaurants. I know they are just beans but most places just don't get it right, they are either too soggy or too oily/buttery.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

We often eat here - the pie's are the best value at 13.95. Service is hit and miss, last visit was ok. Noisy eating areas, not good for romantic evening but good for group of friends.

Reviewed March 15, 2012

Casual, noisy, energetic bar/restaurant. Steak with mushroom sauce was perfect, I'm hungry all over again typing out the review! Daughter loved the spag bol. Great value, wonderful service, no dawdling.

Reviewed February 8, 2012

Had dinner at this pub the other night. Food was good, although a bit on the pricey side. Atmosphere was pretty good as well, but everything was let down by the service. Bar service was a bit hit-and-miss. Then it took ages for waiter to take our order - response we got when trying to get service was "I'll get to you when I have a chance". When we did get service, there was no smile, no offer of additional drinks, no offer of water - just overall not a great experience when being charged these prices. If they can work on their service, then this place has the potential to be a great venue.

Reviewed December 26, 2011

We went for lunch at the Shelter Bar - it was busy with an up-beat atmosphere. The service was pretty good but we felt the prices were a little too high. The food (burgers, pizza, steak) was all good but I'd think twice about going back because it was expensive for what they offer.