“Very up market dining and club atmosphere after dark”
Review of Cloudland

Cloudland
Reserve with
Cloudland is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #151 of 4,325 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Italian, Australian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Italian pizza's cooked to perfection in our woodfire oven.
Brisbane, Australia
“Very up market dining and club atmosphere after dark”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Pricey by has a focus on a more up market clientele. Takes ages for a drink but the place is very neat and the foods not to bad.

Visited June 2013

“Thank you for making my birthday special”
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Thank you so much Lorenne for making my birthday special. Your service, care and attention made my day a delight and the sparkler and spectacular desert was a lovely surprise. You are obviously an asset to the establishment - Cloud land was a wonderful surprise experience and a lovely day way to end my day. Thank you! 10/10 - I will be back!

Visited July 2013
“Cloudland was an interesting experience.”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The decor was fabulously imaginative... a fantasy world. The food was tasty but the menu was confusing. The service was decidedly lacking, with a clear focus on 'sales' and no follow-up to check that the orders were correctly delivered (which they weren't). If more emphasis was placed on efficient and helpful service this place would be a favourite.

• Visited July 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Having been there twice before....”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

On my third visit to the famous Cloudland, my best friend wanted to have her 34th birthday dinner there with 11 other people. Wanting to order a cocktail that wasn't on the menu, they were happy to a make it for us but asking $34 for each cocktail when presented to us was a huge shock! Luckily the waitress had put in an incorrect price and was very apologetic about it. The matradee greeted us and explained the style of the food and restaurant, which was a nice touch. I ordered the dory, it was just missing something like mashed potato etc. They made a mistake on one of the meals and made it out that that was what was ordered, considering she doesn't eat chicken and would have not ordered it... Take responsibility and move on.... It got to 8:45 and the waitress apologised and said that this table was double booked!! A table of 12 and they asked us to 'move on'. Nothing was mentioned upon sitting down and it could have gone differently if they had mentioned something in the first place. This experience was very disappointing, especially after having my 30th and a work Christmas function to which made us go back to Cloudland in the first place. Most of them came down from the Sunshine Coast to help celebrate the occassion. We will never be going back to eat there again. So disappointing!!!!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Lisa S
Australia
“No respect for customers.”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I've been to Cloudland on numerous occasions. As a restaurant, I would advise you to visit elsewhere - although it is a prestigious fit-out, there is far better food available, with better service and at better prices, in a large number of inner city establishments. The space is clearly designed for mixed uses and it would probably be better if the restaurant was partitioned off and accessed from a different entrance. This would no doubt help the staff treat restaurant patrons in a manner befitting their position as paying customers, which I haven't found to be the case.

There is very much a 'it's your privilege to be served by me" mentality here, which seems to carry over from the nightclub into the restaurant itself.

Obviously Cloudland is a pretty, striking, and architecturally well conceived nightclub, but it has a few irreducible flaws in my view. It is expensive, and the cocktails are relatively poor compared to other places in the Valley and inner city. The mixed and fairly cavernous space seems at odds with itself, is not atmospheric and lacks cohesion.

The worst part of Cloudland, however, are the staff. Although at risk of the pomposity I'm bemoaning here, I've been to quite a few places around the world - London, Berlin, New York etc, and I've never quite come across the same profound imbalance between reality and perception.

The door policy, or dress regulations if you like, are inconsistent and capricious. The many times I've visited here, someone has usually been refused entry, but never for any consistent reason. Friends have been refused for being drunk when they weren't drunk. Cloudland's idea of fashionable shoes seems to have changed, over the years, from dance wear to black-tie. May I play the cynic when I suggest that If you want to self-flagellate with parodies of 'you just don't have the look, baby', then try here.

I have been refused entry just once - for wearing a t-shirt- under a velvet jacket. It reminds me of my childhood in Cairns.

The really important thing to remember here, is that it's fine for places to have reasonable and defined dress regulations - although a penchant for collared shirts is indubitably an unpleasant throwback to the '80s - but it's not alright to treat your loyal customers with contempt.

When I visit Cloudland - whether the restaurant or the nightclub - I don't get the feeling that I'm a valued customer. I get the distinct feeling that I'm a cash-cow, and they will never recognize me and acknowledge me as important to their success. And they will never, ever show me the respect that I deserve.

• Visited July 2013