“Fine Italian in Suburbia”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mario at the Dining Room - CLOSED

Mario at the Dining Room
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Brisbane, Australia
“Fine Italian in Suburbia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

Met some friends for a Saturday night dinner. Had great service and everyone at the table was very happy with the quality of the food. Personally I had a calves liver starter which was very good, then a porchini and ricotta tortellini dish with gorgonzola which was heavenly. A cuple of bottles of wine and some simple deserts rounded off a memorable evening. Food was excellent, if a bit pricey although it is fair to say that none of our party felt ripped off at $110/head, which is an indication of the quality of food, wine and service.

• Visited May 2014

Brisbane, Australia
“Italian food simply Devine but some issues with some of the service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

The older lady behind the counter was uninterested and not excited to say hello. Her passion for service is non-existent and if she is the owner is best for her to give her position to someone else. She pointed out to our table behind the counter she said walk straight ahead and take the table on the left! They were very empty and she was not busy so she should of said which table would you like and move her body away from the counter and guide us to the table. A waiter in his 40's also a bit absent minded had little enthusiasm. This waiter in his 40's took our drinks order. Minutes later a Venetian waiter said: here is your Shiraz. I said: I ordered Italian wine, he replied Oh so sorry did the other waiter not tell you before that we are out of Italian wine? I asked if they had any other Italian wine and he said: I'm sorry we are having some issues due to new management. Minutes later the older waiter brought me a glass of red placed it on the table not saying anything and walked away. I tried the wine and it was red and cold. It was beautiful. When the young Italian waiter came back with our food I asked what wine I've been given, he then said, let me ask. He came back and said: We opened the most expensive bottle of chianti for you as we only sell it by the bottle. He then said: we want you to be happy. The young Italian Venetian waiter gets 5 stars from us. He truly knows how to serve people and gives the restaurant a wonderful atmosphere. Food review: bruschetta 5 stars. The crab and prawn fettuccine 5 stars. Scallops pasta 5 stars. Cassata and panacotta 5 stars. Will tell friends and family about this place, will be returning. Advice to restaurant: deal with your management issues so your super star waiter doesn't have to apologise for the Owners. Employ more enthusiastic and passionate waiters. Some Jazzy background music would be fantastic.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank wookietwinkiejake
“Great hidden venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

My wife and I went here last night after a friend recommended it, and I must say it was a great. I had driven past this place and never noticed it, but that will no longer be the case.

The staff were on top of their game 100% of the time and were extremely courteous. Food was delicious and well presented.

If you intend on going here on a Saturday night, make a reservation as it's not a large restaurant and most people who were there are in no hurry to leave.

Definitely one of the better fine Italian restaurants that I have been to in a long time,

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Ryan L
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic service & food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

My family (party of 8 adults) dined here for my 30th birthday and were not disappointed!
On arrival we were warmly greeted by the waiter who throughout the night provided us with great service along with plenty of laughs.
The restaurant is BYO but they also provide a wine list, we had brought our own bottle ($5 corkage per person) and also bought a bottle at our waiter's recommendation which was very nice.
We all shared the garlic pizza bread, calamari and anti-pasto platter which was the perfect amount to share between all of us. Each dish was delicious and the calamari tasted fresh.
We had a variety of mains, I had the veal which did not disappoint. All members in my party were also very impressed with their mains as well.
We went on a Wednesday night to get the 25% discount which took just over $100 off the bill. We would quite happily go even when no discount was offered because of the great food and service.
Highly recommend giving Mario's a go, one of the best dining experiences I've had in Brisbane.

Brisbane, Australia
“A rare find in suburbia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

We dined on a Saturday night and the restaurant appeared full and appeared to turn away a few people without reservations. Marios is a re vamped corner store with plenty of street parking but the decore is quite appealing with good space between tables. Mario was on the floor all night chatting and offering suggestions with guests many of whom appeared to be local residents. The atmosphere is very casual but the service was very attentive and at a proffessional level not usually associated with suburbia. The menu was very extensive and featured many specials not normally found on basic Italian menus. Prices were not cheap but reflected the authenticity of the dishes and the quality of the produce used. Wine list had a wide variety of Italian and Australian with a good selection available by the glass. All in all a very pleasant evening and we will be back.

• Visited November 2013