“Smelly, small and a rip off!!”

Mantra Terrace Hotel
Ranked #54 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Thankfully work were paying for my stay here. When you pay $300 for one night in a superior room you expect something special. The room was tiny and it smelt of week old wet towels. The only view was into an alleyway of bins!!! Enough said about this place it doesn't deserve the publicity!!

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank shinnywingwong
DiamantHotelBrisbane, General Manager at Mantra Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2011

Dear Traveller
At Diamant, we do strive to provide a superior level of service to every one of our guests and therefore your feedback is very important to us.
I am sorry to hear that on this occasion our service did not live up to your expectations and I can assure you that the issue with the smell you have noticed in the room will be addressed accordingly.
Thank you for taking the time to post the review.

Regards

Reviewed November 9, 2011

Pluses: great location, cleanliness and helpful, friendly staff. Negatives: tiny space, oppressive decor (almost black wallpaper in hallway), costly and woefully bad wifi connection on my iPhone. Even worse than other expensive pay-services in Oz. Good two-night stay though.

• Stayed: September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.
In our efforts to ensure our hotel continues to grow, we are grateful for your feedback.
We appreciate you highlighting to us the areas of disappointment as well as positives. I am sorry to hear that you have experienced problems with the Wi-Fi during your stay and can assure you that we are looking in to ways of improving this service for our guests.

Sincerely

Reviewed November 5, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 6 days in September 2011. We were pleasantly surprised how nice and tastefully furnished it was. The hotel is in a very good location, being a short walk from the shops and riverside. Although the rooms are a bit on the small side, they were clean, modern and very comfortable, and the bathroom had a very good shower. All staff were very friendly and helpful. The O Bar next door, served good food, although a bit expensive, but there are plenty of other options readily available nearby. We ate in our rooms on a couple of occasions and managed ok.
With regard to the other reviews, if I wanted a room to work in or to relax in after a working day etc, or 24 hour room service, then I would have booked a larger hotel chain. But for two people with large luggage, this hotel was more than adequate. And yes, I would go back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Monty

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Diamant Hotel Brisbane. We appreciate your response and delighted to hear you've enjoyed yourselves and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

All the best

Reviewed October 30, 2011

I've traveled to Tokyo and Milan but this place has the smallest rooms I've ever seen. No place to sit other than on the bed and only about 70cm clearance around the bed. No desk except as a pull out from the vanity having you sit on the bed. The bathroom is similarly tiny.

They are however clean.

The lighting in the bathroom was not bright enough -- just a couple of low power, LED based lights.

They use a restaurant down stairs to run their room service and breakfast. I had to physically go to the restaurant to order dinner because the room service line was constantly engaged.

The food was good (if expensive) but took too long to arrive: 40 minutes for dinner.

When I was finally asked for my order in the restaurant for breakfast I was warned off most of the menu as taking too long to arrive or the ingredients were not available. When I did settle for bircher muesli it still took 20 mins to arrive and it wasn't as if they were run off their feet.

Service in the hotel itself was good but in the restaurant was poor.

Oh yeah and the "one-touch" phone buttons to connect you to room service, reception, etc didn't dial correctly so I had to guess the front desk number then ask them for the room service number.

Reviewed October 23, 2011

I recently stayed in this hotel for a weekend in Brisbane. I had some familiarity with it already having had a great lunch at the O Bar downstairs but the hotel itself left me feeling a little short. The room was quite small, the only power point for my computer was in the bathroom. Room service only operated during the hours of the restaurant and the only real parking option is in the secure car park and not in the hotel.

On the plus side, the interior design is modern and striking and the location is good if you're not fussed about staying in the heart of the CBD. Nothing blew me away about it but it was a nice change to the sameness of the major chains.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor and the room was quite small.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
DiamantHotelBrisbane, General Manager at Mantra Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your taking time to comment on your recent stay. We are delighted that the interior decor and location were to you liking. We appreciate all feedback and will use it to further improve our services and facilities. Again, thank you for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Diamant Hotel when you next visit Brisbane. Kind Regards, Branka Indic

Reviewed October 20, 2011

I had four nights at the Diamant in Oct 2011 as I was attending a conference at the nearby Novotel. The hotel sells itself as a boutique hotel option and it is very nicely and tastefully furnished plus in a very good location but it pricey for what you get.

Good stuff - new, clean, with modern styling. Good location behind the Novotel on a nice tree lined street. Quiet. Really nice adjacent cafe/bar with open terrace. Good for any food, drinks and cocktails. Beds are comfy. 10 mins from central station and city center.

Average stuff - the rooms are small with no desk area to work. Internet conenction was okay but not very strong on the 5th floor ( but okay in the bar)

Poor stuff - lacks hotel amenities eg no laundry service at weekends. Did not try room service, there was a menu but where do you eat? Price. I thought my four night stay was expensive but then the AUS dollar is on a par with the US dollar at the moment, but $199.00 a weekday night for this level of accomodation and service I thought was high.

My overall rating is mainly down to a "value for money" statement not a negative view of the hotel itself which I liked.

2  Thank SconieJ

Dear SconieJ, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Diamant Hotel Brisbane. We appreciate all feedback as it is vital to improving our hotel facilities and services. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review. Please contact us when you are next visiting Brisbane. We would be delighted to welcome you back.
Kind Regards

Reviewed October 8, 2011

Stayed here as a one night stop over on my way to an international destination.

Getting there...
Good location and easy to get to from airport (train $15 one way/$28 return to Cnetral Station = 20 min plus 5 min walk to hotel or taxi is approx $45 each way). Note: if catching train, last train approx 8pm daily.

Arriving...
I saw it online and booked it is "The Portal Hotel" and that is what the big sign at the top of the buiding says but at reception it is known as "Diamant Hotel". So, to save anyone else confusion, they are the same place. Anyway, once you get there, staff are very friendly and helpful - at both checkin and check out.

Room...
I was in a Junior Suite which was a very well presented in the space. Had a plasma tv which was set up on the wall perfect to watch from bed. Bed very comfortable and not on main rd so didn't get the city nightlife noise. Bathroom had good facilities and big shower. Had fridge but no cooking facilities. Also, this suite did not have a desk (in the event you a business traveller). Please see hotel website for information on other types of rooms.

Nightlife or bar...
Unfortunately did not get a chance to check out nightlife or the bar. There were other guests there celebrating 21st as location for them was good to the city.

Cost...
Great deal for city location. You can get really good deals on wotif and lastminute etc.

Recommendation...
Yes. Would stay there again. When it comes to cost, presentation and service, they met all categories.

Room Tip: Business travellers, if you need work space, ask reception for room with desk. Solo or couple trave...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank broomebeachbum

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review Diamant Hotel Brisbane and sharing your travellers tips. You will be delighted to know that the sign on the roof has just been changed to Diamant and this should save future confusion for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to Diamant Hotel Brisbane. Kind Regards, Branka Indic