“nice apartment but bad timing”

The Miro Apartments
Ranked #56 of 140 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed at Miro, room #307 and work collegues #206 3 nights from 22nd May. Apartment industrial, maybe early 2000 design. practical and functional layout. MAJOR excavation works immediately next door, Brunswick St end of building. Appears building works are about to commence on basement level. Jack hammering was constant from 630am every day including Saturday morning. So loud it actually vibrates the stairs and railings. Sound reverberates around the room making it difficult to maintain a conversation. In summary, fine if you are an early riser and out during the day. Criticism is that no advice or pre warning from booking staff given of the noise of the works. Must be more upfront and honest! If someone is considering Miro (great location for valley, food and entertainment and 1km from CBD), I would recommend requesting an apartment on the north end of the building (away from the city), or get a discount for the (undisclosed on booking) daily noise issues, towards the South end of the complex

Room Tip: insist on a room on the north end of the building during excavation/ building works
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Gordon H

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed for the weekend, on business. One bedroom "apartment". Very sterile, floors are rubber tiles, the lounge area is sparse, two comfortable lounges but for such a big room, the worlds smallest TV. The kitchen is excellent, the bed room is ok. Black out blind doesn't really keep the room very dark though.
The worst part is the construction work. I was warned out about it but from the time I checked in 9am Friday until 4pm the pounding of the pneumatic drill was horrible. Then it started again at 06:30 Sat morning! The location is OK if you like this part of Brisbane. Wouldn't stay here again though.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Toomsac
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Very good price. I got a 2 bedroom apartment and its beautiful! It has everything you need. The location is fantastic! There is some construction work going on across the road which might be annoying. But its still the best place around to stay. You would pay more for a studio room in a hotel in the city. Might as well get a full kitchen and bedrooms. This place is awesome. I will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Liz R
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I had a challenging stay here. It doesn't have after hours reception so I had to use a code that they gave me to access the building and safe to get my room keys. That was easy enough but then I went up to the room, dropped off my bag and and phone and took my key and went down the road for some dinner. Upon returning o the hotel I realised that my key would access the lobby but not the second door which required the code which was on my phone in my room. After banging on the door and waiting for an hour hoping someone would come in or out of the building I finally went back outside and down through the basement car park and my room key opened the door there so I got inside the building. The rooms were very modern industrial in style, which was fine but they were pretty ordinary, the bed was a tiny double, no way 2 people could have slept in it so lucky my wife wasn't travelling with me. To top off my unpleasant experience there was a construction site next door and they started jack hammering first thing in the morning meaning you couldn't sleep in or watch tv or anything as the noise was unbearable and the walls about as sound proof as cardboard. On the positive side the location is good and the rates are relatively cheap but i will pay more to avoid this place on future visits to Brisbane.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in any of them at least until the construction next door is completed. The groun...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My company booked me into the Miro for a couple of weeks while I was working extended hours. The location is great for the Valley and a number of bars & restaurants are nearby.

The apartment had everything I needed but the design was a bit strange with a only very thin curtain separating off the bedroom and the bathroom as a bit industrial, strange shaped shower with a stainless steel floor which seemed like something out of a prison block.

Although the property makes every effort to discourage it there was quite a bit of noise late at night especially at the weekends with folk coming & going to the nightclubs (sadly I was working).

On a positive the staff were great, car park very handy for the valley and it seemed lower priced for Brisbane but I wouldn't choose to stay there, or maybe just for a midweek overnight.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back seem quieter as they are off street, but their balconies face a very full resi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Recently stayed here for 3 nights. Chose The Miro Apartments based on reviews and location to a course I was attending in Fortitude Valley.

I arrived after hours and received a text the day of arrival with the code to get into the building and to the safe where I would find the key to the apartment.

Apartment was clean and spacious as previously mentioned. The apartment was outfitted with all dishes and cutlery and a small amount of dish and laundry detergent was provided. It had a washer/dryer combo in the bathroom.

What I wasn't keen on - the "bedroom" was to the immediate right upon entering the apartment, it had a sheer curtain closing it off from the entrance way (see picture). The shower was open, meaning no shower door (I don't like these type of showers). The apartment (101) I was in faced the front of the building, level one at the very end where the undercover parking garage is, therefore there was noise from that and Robertson Street which is also noisy, while trying to watch tv. The apartment itself needs updating, some skirting boards around the bottom of the walls would give it that 'finished' look... and it could use a splash of colour on the walls, it was very stark....not even a picture anywhere in the unit. The bathroom had no towel rails, there was a suction hook (only 1) stuck to the shower glass. There is Wifi...for a cost...I paid $19 for 24hrs and barely used it because the signal was poor and kept dropping out....was a waste of money in my opinion. Used my mobile phone which was much better!

The apartments are a short 5 minute walk to The Story Bridge. Restaurants/cafes and convenience store in the area or a short walk away. Fortitude Valley train station about 15 minute walk away. I took a taxi from the airport because it was dark and I didn't know where I was going....cost me about $48.

I can't say whether I would stay here again....I wouldn't if I was on vacation with my family. I might if I was away on business again and if I needed to be in the area. It wasn't bad...it needs work.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank wifeofanaussie
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at The Miro Apartments last night. The position of the apartments is sensational. We walked to the valley (took 3 mins) and had a great night out then in the morning walked over to the city and had breakfast overlooking the river. The apartment has everything you could ask for and we absolutely loved the layout, very cleverly done. Bed was comfy and although its so close to the night life we never heard a thing. The on-site manageress was not only efficient but very helpful and lovely to boot! Would highly recommend this accommodation to anyone. We certainly will go back, Carol and Tony

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple