“Lovely Apartments”
Review of iStay River City

iStay River City
Ranked #52 of 138 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We booked to stay here as we we're visiting family members in Brisbane.Really nice apartments, modern, stylish and clean. Lovely clean furniture, plenty of room for four to relax without getting in eachothers way. We booked a two bedroom apartment and the second bedroom had two single beds instead of them being pushed together or having a double. One bedroom had an en-suite. Great storage, plenty of extra blankets for the beds too.

Kitchen was clean and tidy with plenty of plates etc, they even had a tea pot!!! Washing machine and tumble dryer if you want to do some washing. Lift and communal areas were alsway kept clean and tidy. Reception very helpful.

Gym and swimming pool on site, pool not massive but does the job if you're just looking for a quick cooldown on hot days. Gym was clean and tidy too but again not massive but we were there for a holiday so didn't mind.

Lovely balcony with access from the living room and master bedroom, apartments were in the city so we get a city view. Road outside wasn't too loud, there was building work going on next door and natuarally in Australia builders start early so we had one or two early wake-up calls but wasn't too bad, definately doesn't detract from how nice the apartment was.

Close to the Gardens and the river. Plenty of places to eat near by too.

Room Tip: If you want the second bedroom to have two single beds makesure you request it just incase.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sam J
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at iStay River City, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at iStay River City. It’s always a pleasure to receive wonderful feed back, it was great to read that you enjoyed our well appointed apartments and that your 2 Bedroom Apartment was more than adequate for your family. We are pleased you were also able to enjoy the view and relax on the balcony and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon

There are newer reviews for iStay River City

Reviewed November 1, 2012

The room we stayed was a quiet 2 bed room apartment on a highfloor (upon or request aft reading some of the reviews here). Room was fine if you are not picky. There are some luggage marks on the wall frm prior guest and the blinds in the living room was not working. But the Plc was clean n beds are comfortable and was furnished with the necessary crockery. There is only 1 air conditioner in the living room in the entire 2 bedrm apt, but since I was staying there in early spring, opening the windows at night was sufficiently cooling bt I'd think twice if it was summer. Initially the sliding door in one of the rooms was slightly jammed and they managed to get the caretaker to come up to have Tt fixed in less than 1/2 an hour. We checked in slightly past midnight, so I would really commend them for that! Overall, it's great value for money !

• Stayed: September 2012
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at iStay River City, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at iStay River City. It’s always good to receive complements on the cleanliness and comfort of our apartments, we do pride ourselves on great customer service and our response time to any concerns, I will pass your kind comments on to our afterhour’s caretaker. Our maintenance team do have a regular schedule for preventive maintenance; some repairs such as blinds are out sourced to external contractors and take longer to be actioned I do sincerely apologise for this inconvenience. Your feedback is valuable to us as this enables us to further your experience upon your next stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Just back from a 3 night stay and I loved it, my preferred Hotel is the Grand Chancellor but as I was booking quite late due to work commitments, this was the best value. I was apprehensive on booking at first given the bad Trip Advisor reviews but then I compared them with reviews from Hotel Club and Wotif and the reviews they were a lot more favourable.
I booked a 1 bedroom apartment, a few days before arrival I sent an email to reservations requesting a room on a higher level with a nice outlook as it was a special occaission, the reply came back that my request was noted but could not be guarranteed subject to availability, on check in I was not dissapointed, room 3105 was overlooking the Botanical Gardens and a small stretch of the river as well as city skyline, the apartment was huge and well fitted.
Some of the previous guest pictures are unfair, the one with a photo of a well used cook top is a case in point, my cook top at home is no longer brand new, just remember these are apartments that have been used as both a hotel room as well as longer stay with guests residing in them, so there will be ware and tear..
Reception was excellent on all 4 occaissions I stopped by at Check in, it was quick and courteous and informative, I dropped back later to asked for a couple of extra towels as I was going to be using the pool a lot, it would cost $2.50 per towel as it is a non serviced property, I had no problem with that. I had a joke with the receptionist as she didn't recognize me straight away as I arrived in a suit and was now in T shirt and shorts. Some customers need to do their research on this as it is very clear on the property web site, if you book through another web site as I do with Hotel Club, you may not get full information, only having a bar of soap in the bathroom is fine with me as I travel with my own toiletries as most people do. I also enjoyed not having hotel services like housekeeping and mini bar interupting my stay.
The lap pool was paradise as I am using Hydro therapy for a hip and back problem it was perfect and on all but 2 occaissions I was the only one using the pool, it was like having a private pool, one of the lifts was out of action for a short period but it wasn't that long one of the owner residents said it happens sometimes.
Only complaint was that the venetian blind in the bedroom was beyond repair, so badly damaged it could not be raised, lowered or adjusted, with Queensland not having daylight saving this meant mother nature gave me a 05.30 wake up call every morning, this needs to be replaced with curtains similar to the lounge room. The apartment was huge, if this had been the equivilant in a 4-5 star Hotel I would have parted with $300-400 a night.
The location is great, easy walking to everything in central Brisbane, a good kitchen meant that I spent $60 to cover my meals while I was there, Woolworths & Coles Supermarkets are located in Queen st and a & 7 Eleven on the next block.
One odd thing was that there were a lot of quilts and blankets in the wardrobe, far more than one bed needed. I will come back again, very happy with my stay.

Room Tip: If you have a particular request contact the hotel in advance, they will do all they can to help wit...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at iStay River City. It is great to read that you found your apartment large and well fitted with wonderful views of the Botanical Gardens and also receiving great service from the reception staff. In regards to the venetians blinds in the apartment, although our maintenance department endeavour to ensure everything is operational in the unit some maintenance is out sourced to private contractors which causes delays in repairs and receiving parts. We do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience it may have caused and can assure you that this has been actioned for repair. Overall from your comments you really enjoyed or stay with us, it’s always good to receive positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I stay in this hotel on 19 Sept 2012.

On 12am, there was a road walk on the Albert Street and our room was facing to the work site. The noise is loud and it's impossible to sleep. I called up the night caretaker for help and see it's possible to change another room which not facing the work site. The night caretaker told me he was unable to help because our reception had closed and he was located in other hotel where is far away from the istay hotel. He told me tried to sleep and nothing he can do. The night caretaker also mentioned the road work was conducted by the Brisbane City Council, so it's not their fault.

Beside the noise, the water stop also on 12am, we had no drinking water for few hours.

Since we had booked one bedroom room, the small bedroom next to the master room was locked. On 5am, the alarm clock in the small bedroom was on. We were unable to access the small room to switch off the alarm clock. The night caretaker also unable to reach to our room to access the small bedroom. The hotel reception was closed. So, no one could help on this. We waited two hours for the alarm clock turned off automatically.

Undoubtedly, the hotel location is great. However, the hotel didn't provide hotel service at all when the reception was closed. Also, they should arranged the room for the guests in better way given they should get the notice from the Brisbane city council in advance.

My experience is terrible. I had filed my complaint to the Brisbane consumer affair department accordingly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at iStay River City, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at iStay River City. We are very disappointed to read of your experiences with service while staying with us. Unfortunately the reception at our hotel is not 24 hour and the after hours team are at another hotel close by. I am unsure as to why they were not able to assist you and will pass your comments onto the Hotel Manager for immediate attention. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again to Oaks Hotels and Resorts.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We enjoyed the location of the complex, and found our two bedroom apartment more than adequate for family visit to Brisbane. Hotel is only 3 blocks from Queen St Mall, and is surrounded by cafes and eateries. Apartment on 32nd floor had nice outlook and a huge balcony with nice outdoor setting. Kitchen was very nice, as were bedrooms. Excellent lap pool and gym. Bathrooms tired, as was living room furniture. Still really enjoyed our stay, and will stay again due to spacious apartment, and location.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor to avoid looking into offices and apartments nearby
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lisa69448
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at iStay River City, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at iStay River City. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and that your 2 Bedroom Apartment was more than adequate for your family. We are pleased you were also able to enjoy the view and relax on the balcony and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I've stayed in several apartments around Brisbane. This one was not as enjoyable as the others. It was very busy getting up the lifts then my apartment was ok but felt a little tired. The bathroom especially was nothing special and did not have a bath. There was no information booklet in my room at all. I had to watch free to air tv as the foxtel channels looked like they had not been paid for. There was no shampoo in the bathroom and I had not brought any because there is always shampoo. Apart from that it was an apartment, I used it to sleep. The view was ok could see a bit of the Story bridge and it was a short walking distance to the mall and to QUT.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at iStay River City. It is disappointing to read that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Our iStay brand offers discount accommodation for our guests and in order to provide low rates, amenities are not provided however there are some available at reception for an additional charge. We apologise if this was not communicated to you correctly upon booking. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Very Disappointed
rust on base of shower door. Carpet all loose and rippled. broken laminate under ( in front) microwave and on coffee table. Marks on wall were it has been repaired but not painted. Quilt coming undone at seam.
We were there for an overnight stay for our wedding anniversary.. Our house is nicer. Couldn't wait to book out in the morning.
A dispointing stay.
I would rate this place at 3 star or below not 4 star

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at iStay River City. We would like to apologise that your apartment did not meet your expectations and impacted negatively on your anniversary. If you wish to discuss any matters with us further you can contact our Customer Feedback Team on customerfeedback@theoaksgroup.com.au.