“pretty dire!”

Nomads Brisbane Hostel
Ranked #116 of 140 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Ugh... where do I start.. this hostel was one of the worst I have stayed in in Australia. The building itself is lovely from the outside and could be really great if they spent a bit of money on upkeep for the place: however it was extremely rundown with paint peeling off the walls, leaky ceilings, threadbare carpet and dank, dark corridors which really smell of mould/damp.
Rooms are OK... there is a door in the rooms which you can't open (it must open onto the lovely balconies outside, but its locked shut so you can't access the balconies... probably for safety reasons) but it lets in light and noise during the night which is not conducive to a restful amount of sleep. The nightclub downstairs is pumping all night long and the noise filters straight into the rooms so it is impossible to get to sleep until the nightclub closes. After that though the fun doesn't end as people will be coming back up to their rooms and being very loud and disruptive in the process! Beds are not bad comfort-wise (although the sheets felt damp).
Bathrooms are, to be honest, dirty. No soap in the soap dispensers and the hand driers were broken when I tried to use them.
Kitchen is too small for a hostel of this size: from 6-9pm it is nigh-on impossible to get access to one of the cookers. Also it is pretty dirty too. Big tables to sit at though, not a problem there, once you have actually been able to cook some food!
Location is good, very close to shops in the city and managed to walk to the Southbank area easily, and staff are friendly and helped us book our day to Australia Zoo. There is also a travel office if you need help booking the rest of your travel.
So yeah in terms of the actual hostel not much more could have been awful about it! Would not recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ep2604

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I went there with my travel body and we were shocked. The entire place smelled like a public bathroom, it was worn down and our room, 6 man dorm, had a gigantic hole in the wall!! Whatever you do, don't stay there. It's the worst place I have EVER spend a night. The Beds are terrible, you can feel every single spring impale your back. Mould on the bathroom and the constant smell of urine made it unbareable to stay there. Don't go. Choose another place.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hostel isn't like the usual standard of Base hostels. It's run down, the rooms and corridor smell awful and the ceiling in the corridor was leaking, god only knows what was leaking through it. Our first room was terrible so asked to move for the second night which the receptionists were happy to help with. Very friendly staff. Great location for getting to all the shops.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Jennifer D, Manager at Nomads Brisbane Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent experience at our hostel. I am very sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant stay with us....

We are currently in the process of under-going some renovations which will make a big difference to our property. It'll probably won't compare to any of the other Base hostels which are more modern, and as our building is heritage listed there's a few things we can not change.
We do have a great House keeping team that try there best to keep the place as clean as possible.

I'm am very happy to hear that our staff were helpful in any way.

The Base Central Crew

Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

So I got to this hostel after coming straight from a gorgeous hostel in Cairns.. And I was pretty shocked at the difference in quality! The location is good but the hostel is pretty gross. The first thing that hit me was the smell, it's a very damp, old smell and the whole place looks dated, run down and dirty. The shower cubicles and curtains were covered in mould and it was generally just a bit dirty. I stayed in an 8 bed dorm, the windows didnt open and there was one fan in the corner, so it was pretty hard to sleep in the heat. Also there's a gap above all the bedroom doors, so light and noise is constant during the night. I got a special deal included in the price of my room with greyhound buses to go to Australia zoo.. Only problem is it dropped us off at 9am and didn't pick us up again til 5pm.. Long day at the zoo by myself! Haha. I'd advise avoiding this hostel, apparently base embassy is much better though..

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hostel and decided that since it was my birthday id get a private room as a treat after spending Weeks in noisy, messy dorms! Got into my room and I can honestly say after 9 months of traveling it was thee most dreary& rubbish room I've ever stayed in!! The walls were painted a horrible colour,paint was flaking off and a prison cell was probably bigger!! It didn't have anything apart from a bed!! The window didn't open so felt so cramped!! For $70 they could have at least threw in a free towel or something!!
I also thought it Was really terrible the fact that the hostel didn't offer it's guests a free shuttle as it is about a 20 min walk with a backpack!!
That night I went to go get some cheap food in the down under bar and was refused entry because I went through the wrong door!!!! I thought the bouncer was joking so I went to go through the correct door but he started to swear at me aggressively and refused me entry!!! I was treated disgustingly and the whole day from start to finish is one id rather forget!! Complained to the base website about the incident but they haven't got back to me.
In conclusion I wouldn't let my worst enemy stay here! No customer service or perks, not great value for money either! Was never so happy to leave!!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is the worst place we have stayed on our three month trip. The building is historic and could be beautiful however inside it is run down, and basicaly looks and feels like no one cares about the building or your stay. We had a double room, which was very basic,but could have been fine if the paint wasn't peeling of the walls, the curtain hanging off is runner, the coat peg falling of the wall, and the window unable to stay open. However this apppeared to be fantastic compared the dorm rooms which they appear to fit in as many people into as possible. Thus the place accommodates hundreds of people a night. We had no chance of using the kitchen facilities due to the high numbers of peoples and the fridges were stuffed full. The staff were less than helpful, given us no welcome or info. We then stood by the lift with all our bags for several minutes, none of the staff sat only yards away came to our assistance. When I asked if the lift was broken, they told me to press the button (like I hadn't been doing that) after 10 more minutes and no offers of help we walked the 3 flights of stairs. Our check out was as monosyllabolic as our check in. The entrance is continually full of people smoking and you cant get in or out without stepping over people and smelling of smoke. You cant access the toilets or showers without your room key which is really frustrating at night. The hostel is centrally located but you can find much nicer cleaner hostels a short distance away. We left after two nights and moved somewhere else that we were really pleased with for the same price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The room was nice and clean and lots of room compared to other hostel rooms I've stayed at. Friendly staff and great location. The only bad thing I have to say is the noise level during the night...we were in room 403 right by the lift and there was shouting and talking loudly without any consideration for others sometimes wanting an early night.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Hello Sara and thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback

We really appreciate both good and bad comments as it's important to us to know what our guests thoughts on our property are.
Very happy to hear that our staff were friendly and I definitely agree on our location that it is a step away from the main city.
I do apologise in regards to the noise, we do have a night auditor that does security checks around our hostel and will always be happy to help and speak with guests making noise or move you into another room if necessary.

The Base Central crew