“Probably better than average, but not worth a 4 rating!”
Review of Oaks Casino Towers

Oaks Casino Towers
Ranked #56 of 170 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights during a stopover on our way to Cairns. My husband wasn't keen as he had a bad experience at Oaks Casino Towers last year when he stayed here for a convention(He didn't have a credit card on him as it had been fraudulently used just before his convention -and so cancelled - and despite him being part of a larger group of bookings, he wasn't given access to his room until reception had contacted me back in WA, faxed through authorisation forms that I had to sign and then put against any extra charges. This is despite the room costs having already been prepaid. During this whole process which took well over an hour he was made to hang around in the lobby.)
I had forgotten that it was this hotel when I booked online to stay this time.
This time was better. Check in was easy and friendly, however when we got to our room, the second bedroom we had requested with 2 single beds was still locked, as was our ensuite. The receptionist came up with a key to unlock the two extra rooms, and then we found that the kids' bedroom was made up as another king bed. However as it was midnight, we decided not to worry about changing the beds around.
Pros: Great location. We had a view over the river to South Bank and it's a block from the mall.
Apartments are well fitted out with good kitchen facilities and nice bathrooms.
Reception staff were helpful.
Cons: There was a hideous smell in the corridors when we were there (apparently there are issues with the rubbish shutes.
Bedding error, despite it being marked on our booking. My children were more concerned about this than us.
It's a pity that some of these things let down the Oaks Casino Towers, it should be amazing given its location and set up, but there needs to be work done on communication and staff training.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with river view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Casino Towers, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Casino Towers. It is good to hear that you found to location of our hotel to be convenient and our staff were helpful. We would like to apologise for the mix up with the bedding configuration and I will be passing your comments onto the Hotel Manager and General Manager for Learning and Development. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I was on 28th floor - very good views but private too so didnt feel I was being "watched" . I was in a one bedroom apartment. Bed and bedlinen very good, comfortable. Kitchen amenities great as was lounge and desk space. I was only in for one night, but reception staff on duty were pleasant and greeted me like an old friend (much better than 2 other Oaks Apartmenst that I have stayed at on a weekly basis over a couple of years and never get a hint of recognition) ICarpet and furnishings were clean and unmarked. The only negative - the mould in the shower - inexcusable when the apartment gets cleaned daily - I have ahd the same issue with other Oaks properties and cannot see how this can continue to occur. A bit of exit mould or similar spray takes a few seconds out of the cleaning resigme. have stayed at other Oaks apartmenst in Brisbane regularly, and will chose this one over the others now as a result of my experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Casino Towers. It is fantastic to read that you found your apartment to suit your needs and found the bed comfortable. I was pleased to read and that our staff were pleasant and welcomed you warmly. I will pass your comments in regards to the mould in the shower onto the Housekeeping Manager for immediate review in all apartments. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Yes, we stayed here again and this time they made a serious attempt to charge us for using the internet! Which we did not! Believe me as previously advised - buy a Telstra WiFi for $99 with 5GB of use if you are staying more than 3 days! It would be very viable! Their internet is hard wired only, no wifi. Terrific place, we were moved no problem when we discovered we had a pool of water on our carpet - well done!

The Sting in the tail? A major change since our earlier stay - AU$25 per day for parking, I protested that we did not pay for parking the last time so it must be included? The answer: "No sir, you cannot prepay the parking, you can only pay it when checking out" - pity this is such a wonderful place operating the strategy of a budget priced airline!!!

Shall we stay again? ........ No way, they are selling shirts without buttons to my mind!

Room Tip: River view room - high floor. We discovered the staff have a 'menu' of questions to ask when...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Casino Towers. It is disappointing to read that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Parking fees within the CBD is common practice at the majority of establishments and is additional to room charges as parking is not always required by guests. You will find that the majority of car parking companies charge simular fees to us, therefore our costs are competitive with other establishments. Our internet charges are common throughout all Oaks Brisbane properties. Our prices are as follows: 2 hours with a limit of 50MB for $12.50, 24 hours with a limit of 200MB for $22.50. We can also offer weekly or monthly charges for long stay guests. We do apologise if these charges were not communicated with you correctly. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

There are some good things to be said about the Casino Oaks Towers: perfect location -- you can't be closer to downtown attractions; spacious apartments; reasonable rates for the downtown location. Some reviewers also praised the views from the apartments. They apparently resided in one of the uppermost apartments. I didn't have any view in my one-bed-room apartment. But I experienced nagging noise from large vents underneath the windows of the apartment. And here my negative list starts.

After the first disturbed night I requested being moved to a higher floor in order to escape the noise -- just to be told by a rather indifferent management that they didn't have any more quite apartments available. No help, I suffered from the noise for the rest of my stay. While very spacious, indeed, the apartment made a rather run down impression. This was not just a matter of outdated decor. Matrasses once had been luxurious ones. Now they were worn through. And there were traces of dirt almost everywhere. In fact, the murky bathroom was so dirty that you could take pictures of the dirt. No pleasant stay. Had I booked and paid for the apartment myself, I had moved out after the first night.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank UTheTourist
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Casino Towers, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Casino Towers. It is disappointing to read that you were unhappy with your apartment and the noise level from the vents. Unfortunately we could have been fully booked at the time of your stay, so we were not able to move you to a more suitable apartment. We try our very best to make sure all our guests in house are happy with their rooms and we apologise this was not the case for you. I will pass your comments in regards to the cleanliness of your apartment onto the Housekeeping Manager. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Negatives: Firstly, I found the hotel hard to find and the car park ever harder. I drove the block 4 times in peak hour traffic, so not a good start. Then to be greeted by a rude receptionist (Megan) where I had to sign my life away, topped it off. Our view in the room was looking into a construction site only meters away and we were woken at 6.15am each morning by the builders. I felt like they were in our bedroom, as you could hear every word they said. The bathroom had mould in it. The garbage system waffed a revolting smell up through the corridors like someone had been sick.

Positives: Good location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not looking over the construction.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Familyholiday255068
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Casino Towers. We regret that the development near Oaks Casino Towers caused you disturbance at the time of your stay. We do our best to work with Council to limit interruption to our guests and restrictions are placed on the construction companies with regards to commencement of work. Unfortunately, there are various construction sites throughout the CBD. Upon check in it is our policy to have guests read and sign a Guest Registration form outlining terms and conditions of your stay. This is designed to protect both our guests, their enjoyment and the property directly. It is disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us on this occasion and if you wish to discuss any matters further please contact our Customer Feedback Team on customerfeedback@theoaksgroup.com.au. We do hope you consider staying with Oaks in the future to experience the standard we are known for.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Like this hotel very much. Stayed there for 2 days last week and the 2 bedroom is quite spacious. Remember these are serviced apartments so there is no fancy things in your fridge but you are so close to convenience stores and restaurants it is no big deal. Ask for a room overlooking Southbank as the views are terrific and this hotel is quiet.

Would recommend if you like to self cater.

Room Tip: As you are in an apartment - take breakfast items and milk, there is no food or mini bar. That way y...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Betty B
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Casino Towers, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay at Oaks Casino Towers. We are pleased to read that you were happy with your 2 Bedroom Apartment and were able to enjoy the views. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

The excellent location of this apartment complex along with recurring issues of cleanliness seem to be the two dominant themes, judging by previous reviews. To find out for myself, I booked a three night mid-week stay in a one bedroom apartment on the eighth floor.

Having lived in Brisbane before, I knew that its central location adjoining the main shopping precinct and CBD would be practically unbeatable for ease of access. That said, Chifley's Hotel and Brisbane Hilton are located right on the Queen Street Mall, if you prefer. Check in was quick and easy and the staff were polite and efficient about the whole process which took just a few minutes. As I pre-booked via the internet, I was asked for, and gave, a credit card authorization. For a new building, access is still done the old-fashioned way: you are given a key for your room and an attached buzzer to open the front doors and lifts.

Unfortunately, my assigned room did not have the magnicent forward-facing views of the picturesque park and river beyond. My low-level views were of the northern part of the CBD. Not much, but at least it wasn't blocked off by other buildings. The balcony was unexpectedly large though - nearly the same size as the apartment itself - but I didn't fancy using it given the dust and pollution covering everything. The apartment was of average size with the bedroom separate from the living area and adjoining kitchen/laundry. Decor and furnishings, including couch and chair and wall hangings was smart modern with limited colour palette. Limited palette that is to say, except for the uninspired pea green feature wall! For entertainment a limited selection of cable channels are available - news, movies, sport, children etc - along with a Reivernet internet connection. Unless you are desperate, do not avail yourself of Reivernet. Their rates can only be described as exorbitant given that the trend is now for free Wi-Fi connections in most hotels - then again, this is an apartment not a full service hotel.

The kitchen was well equipped for proper meal preparations, although, given the number of dining options just outside the door it is debatable whether most guests actually make use of such good facilities in their rooms. For business travellers, there is a decent sized desk to work at. The bathroom was well supplied with quality linen and toiletries and was mostly clean. Which brings me to what a number previous reviewers mentioned: cleanliness.

For the most part this apartment was really clean, except for the shower stall which had traces of mould along the edges. There is really no excuse for this, if cleaners can do a good job elsewhere, why do they let this slip? A few sprays of anti-mould cleaner would suffice to do the job. Two other points which must be mentioned are the stains on the carpet, especially in the high traffic area between the bath and bedroom. Again, management should look to have it deep-cleaned or otherwise replaced. And finally, there are parts of the wall which could do with a touch of paint due to scuffs and other marks. This lack of full attention to cleanliness and maintenance issues has been reflected in past reviews and prevents a higher ranking for this otherwise good apartment.

Now to arguably the most important part. The bed was very well presented and more importantly, comfortable to sleep on. You are well supplied with pillows and cushions, but there are more including blankets inside the wardrobe. Previous reviewers mentioned excessive noise from the Telstra building ventilators. This was not an issue for me, even though I am a light sleeper. Evidently, management invested in double-glazing and the outside noise is minimal to the point where it is a non-issue. Open the door however and you will really tell the difference - so simply shut the sliding door and enjoy a good night's rest.

Overall, I gave this otherwise good apartment an average ranking due to a few lingering issues as mentioned by previous reviewers. Not as bad as reviewed by some, but definitely room for improvement. I would still recommend though, given the handy location and the views - if you can score a park and river view apartment.

WHATS HOT: Handy location. Park and river views. Polite and efficient staff.
WHATS NOT: Internet costs. Some lingering cleaning issues.

If you found my review helpful in making your decision, then please take the time to click the 'Was this review helpful to you?' button. This is the only feedback I receive and I appreciate your acknowledgement.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing apartment with views to the park and river beyond.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
25  Thank ExLibris76
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Casino Towers, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Casino Towers. We are pleased to hear that you found your apartment to be in a good location and well equipped. We do however apologise for the shortcomings you experienced with some cleaning issues in your apartment and I have passed your comments onto the Hotel Manager and Housekeeping Manager. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.