“Nice stay but . . .”

Ranked #79 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Kansas City
“Nice stay but . . .”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

While the staff is lovely, they change their minds on what they tell you. Be very clear what you want in this hotel/service apartment. -- and what they will charge you, for they changed their minds - mid stay for us. When we checked in, the apartment was terrible. The only seating was a very low couch, no lounge chairs. In addition, the chairs to the table were peeling and came off on our clothing. After four days, we were allowed to move ourselves to another apartment. It is lovely and we have had no complaints. It had two bathrooms one containing the laundry but a handicapped inaccessible tub. The other bathroom had a shower. We were told both would be available to us no problem, no extra cost. After five weeks, I asked that the shower be scrubbed as mold was beginning to grow. I then received a call from front management that I would be charged for both bathrooms, though I was assured when I moved in, there was not an extra charge. Apparently they don't like comments on their cleanliness at the apartments.

it still remains a nice place with a nice location but be very clear what responsibilities are in relationship to the room arrangements. I check every week to make sure I am not being charged for the second bedroom that is in the apartment since we are here for an extended stay- seven weeks can be a big surprise if you do not know the charges.

Room Tip: Make sure an ask for a refurbished room. View is lovely facing the river but street noise precludes...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your current stay at Oaks Aurora. I'm pleased to hear you're comfortable in your apartment. This is important taking into account your lengthy stay. If I could please just clarify the conversation around the bathroom because I am concerned you have misinterpreted our comments. The reason for contacting you was to advise that our executive housekeeper reported that you were actually availing yourself to both bathrooms albeit we initially asked that you use one only in exchange for utilising the second bedroom. Please rest assured we've not changed our minds at any stage. I believe the matter has been resolved now so thank you for your understanding. Furthermore, I would like to confirm that you are only paying for a one bedroom apartment which is what you booked so at no stage will we be charging you for a two bedroom apartment. Enjoy the remainder of you stay and please don't hesitate to contact our friendly reception staff if you have any questions, comments or otherwise.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Kansas City
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We love our service apt. View is amazing. Location is very convenient to multiple locations. Close to river and right in CBD. Best assets it is both safe and quiet. Our unit has been refurbished. Lovely and the bed is very comfortable. Staff is helpful and kind to a crazy American that can not figure out how to make things work in Aussie land

• Stayed August 2013
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent stay at Oaks Aurora Tower. We're pleased you hear you enjoyed your stay and the apartment you were accommodated in was comfortable. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Aurora Tower in the not too distant future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This was my first stay at one of the Oaks properties, and overall found the experience a nice change from your typical business hotel, and slightly more stylish than the Adina chain.

Upon arrival you need to buzz the security to let you in, unless you have a swipe pass, and this is where you start get the feeling that the hotel is situated in a residential apartment complex rather than an actual hotel.
Reception was helpful and service very friendly and were happy to store my bags until I got back from work.
Arriving on the 18th floor to go to my room, the corridor was filled with the smell of people cooking dinner,
The room was itself a two bedroom apartment, (the second room locked as I only booked a one bedroom), decor was modern, Foxtel available with limited channels, room had kitchen, washing machine/dryer, dvd player, huge balcony overlooking the river with stunning views. Information in the room is sparse, and your hotel guide is a printout with your room number given when you check in!
Not a bad choice of hotel, but I left with the feeling that I was in someones holiday rental apartment or had moved to my new pad in Brisbane's CBD.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. You're correct in saying that people do reside in the building. Being one of Brisbane largest and tallest buildings we're fortunate enough to play host to a number of residents and tenants and of course hotel guests. It makes for a nice living and working environment. Once again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Aurora in the not too distant future.
australia
Reviewed August 6, 2013

When pre-booking this accommodation for a two night stay in Brisbane, I requested a high one bedroom apartment with a balcony view of the Brisbane River and Storey Bridge which was exactly what we were given. We found the hotel to be very well positioned, just a short walk to all facilities for dining, Ferry Cats and in close proximity Central train station and the CBD Mall. Our apartment was very roomy with amply amenities and a great balcony. Reception and surroundings were very pleasant with ample lifts to the tower, well servicing the many apartments. If you are happy with apartment style accommodation, I would recommend the Oaks Aurora in Brisbane as a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a high apartment with a balcony view of the Brisbane River and Storey Bridge. These catch th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback in rekation to your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and were comfortable for the duration. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Aurora in the not too distant future.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I, along with another person stayed at this property for a week. From the initial check-in, the front desk worker took me up to the room because he "didn't know if it was ready". When we walked in there was a framed picture on the sofa and vertical blinds covering on 80% of the windows in both the living and bedroom areas. I was too exhausted after my flight to complain but then noticed additional concerns such as the cable not working, 3 main light bulbs in the ceiling burnt out, no phone or alarm clock in the room and no trash pick up/ room cleaning for 2 straight days. I went to the front desk to complain to be given an "upgrade" on a higher floor. I found a lot of variation in the way the room was cleaned. For example, some days the bed would be made with pillows put back, some days they were left on the floor. When the bed linens were changed, they were replaced with stained ones. Once again I complained and had a housekeeping "freshen up" to change the bed. My counterpart also had the same issue with cleanliness with examples being it looked like the shower had not been cleaned in months (mildew on tiles, soap scum residue on the floors- bring bleach with you) and massive dirty cobwebs on the air vents in both of our rooms. He also had customer service issues when asking the front desk for more laundry detergent to which he was given more but told " you know you don't need to use the whole packet for a load." Oh, and I forgot to mention the smell of rotten garbage that filled the hallway near the elevator for part of the stay. If you are here for a short time, do not stay here. For my next visit, I'm booking the Sofitel because it is CLEAN. The only reason

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. It is dissapointing to learn that your stay was not entirely satisfactory. I have taken your comments with respect to housekeeping on board and will convey these to our executive housekeeper. Ordinarily the standard of housekeeping is very consistent in terms of daily undertakings. Your comments with respect to the condition of the shower and vents too are alarming so I will ensure that we try and locate the offending apartment. Once again, thank you for your feedback. This is invaluable to say the very least.

Travelers are raving about these Brisbane hotels

Sippy Downs, Australia
Reviewed August 3, 2013

What a bad experience. I left 5 pieces of silver jewellery in the hotel room when I checked out and no one returned it. The manager wouldn't return my calls and I have filed a police report.

The stay itself was also extremely disappointing. No parking available onsite, no free wifi, the spa was cool and wasnt fixed even after we reported it. The staff were rude to us and even to the house keeping staff in front of us at reception.

On a positive note, the view was great and location was central.

I wouldnt recommend this hotel, firstly because of the jewellery situation and secondly because of the staff and value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lc3248
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. I apologise for the delay in responding. I was awaiting a call from either yourself or the police with respect to the supposed misplaced jewellery. I've not heard from either so I can only assume that you located the aforementioned jewellery after all. Just in response to your other comments, I wish to advise that there is plenty of parking in the building. We always recommend booking carspaces in advance. This is referenced on ours and all other affiliated websites to my knowledge. Furthermore, we do have WiFi in the building however this is offered on a 'user pays' system much same other hotels. I apologise if you found the staff to be rude. This is most unusual same time not acceptable if in fact it were the case. Our front desk staff have a very good rapport with the housekeeping staff for your information. On a positive note, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the view from your apartment and the lcoation of the building. Thank you once again for your feedback. This is invalueable to say the least.
Kerikeri, New Zealand
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I recently stayed for 5 nights on a birthday trip to Brisbane. I had previously stayed in the Aurora in 2009, so was excited to see if anything had changed.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment on the 49th floor and the view, especially at night, was amazing! The apartment itself was refurbished, and was therefore very comfortable, clean and all that you needed for a short stay. I much prefer to stay in an Aurora apartment with all the space and large balcony to enjoy, than a traditional hotel room. It is also great to have a washine machine, dryer, microwave, toaster, kettle, etc etc etc at your disposal. Apart from the usual gym and pool, there is also a small private cinema which is absolutely great to use!

I have to give a special mention to Daniel McInerney, the hotel Manager, and his staff who were absolutely great from start to finish. I was impressed with the speedy response that I received from my initial emails before i booked, right through to checking in and checking out of the hotel. Mr McInerney obviously undertsands the importance of customer service and has passed this on to his professional and friendly staff.

Overtall I had a very pleasant experience and I will definately return!

Room Tip: Booking an executive apartment on a high floor is definately the way to go!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. Your feedback is most appreciated. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. It was certainly our pleasure having you stay with us. It goes without saying I will pass on your comments to the front desk staff. Thank you once again. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Aurora in the not too distant future.