“Not very pleased.”
Review of Oaks Aurora

Oaks Aurora
Ranked #72 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My partner booked two nights here for Valentines day, we were up on the 49th floor so we had a pretty decent view. My problems were, we had a broken chair out on the balcony which apparently the hotel was aware of but never bothered to tell us or remove it. After going to the pool and sauna i asked them if we could have fresh towels so we could have showers to get the chlorine off of us, we were told the cleaners would be there shortly. 3 hours and two more phone calls later we finally got new towels only due to my partner physically going down to reception to retrieve one, then another hour later the cleaning ladies arrived. I was also charged $859 for a stay that was only meant to cost $357... The room was very nice, and the view was lovely.. but i don't think i'll be staying at an Oaks hotel again if im going to be overcharged for my stay, and then be talked in circles from the receptionist as to why they have taken an additional amount out of my account. Thanks but no thanks.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. This is most appreciated. I apologise for the oversight that was towels were not delivered in a timely fashion. Ordinarily we would ask guests to collect additional towels from the reception desk however if you were advised that towels would be delivered then they shold have been. I apologise once again. On the bill overcharge, I don't have your folio details to hand but I am assuming the matter has been resolved. Could you please email me on hmaurora@theoaksgroup.com.au if the matter is still outstanding. Thank you again for your feedback. I hope that you can see it in your heart to visit Oaks Aurora again in the not too distant future. It goes without saying that if you do return I will personally manage your reservation.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed at Oaks Aurora for a long weekend. Picked Aurora due to its close proximity to the British Embassy. Had a 1 bedroom apartment on the 9th Floor. Good points: nice modern apartment, beds were really confortable, close to plenty of restaurants, only 2 block walk to Queen St Mall, large balcony. Not so good points: aircon was hard to work, light in bedroom kept flickering all night, can hear all the noise from late night party goers, awful view as we were not on the storybridge side. I do note that we could have reported the flickering light and aircon so that was more our fault for not mentioning. The room was serviced everyday so always had fresh towels. Overall it was nice to stay here but just a few niggling issues is why I didn't rate higher.

Room Tip: Higher floors facing the story bridge would have a great view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments with respect to your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. I'm pleased you found your accommodation to be comfortable albeit there were a couple of minor shortcomings. It goes without saying had you reported these we would have addressed them. I apologise that the aircon controls were difficult to operate. They can be somewhat confusing however there is always someone available to assist so please next time you visit, avail yourself to this service. Thank you once again for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Aurora in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were blown off our hill due to the Australia Day 2013 storm event and took an apartment so that I could keep working. What a great spot! The room was fantastic - views of the bridge, waterfront - we watched the river ebb and fall with all the extra water. We had towels to spare; fully furnished with a balcony large enough for a mayoral meeting! Price was excellent - we were clearly looked after due to our situation.
Car parking worked for us really well, the front office staff greeted us and honestly we could not have been in better hands.
Yep the lifts are a bit of a wait - but hey this is a 60 odd story building with 8 lifts - pretty reasonable to me!
I had not used an Oaks apartment for some time and was pleasantly surprised at the offering; restaurants are just on the river bend metres away, you can choose an English or Belgian Pub experience as well as everything from Coffee Club through to ritzy fine dining! Pretty damn good at a price that was only a few pennies more than a glib suburban motel - hotel! Definitely a winner - we will be back!!!

Room Tip: If you are an Oaks Club member they often upgrade you at reservation time. I choose to phone the res...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IanW-QLD
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at Aurora Tower. I will be sure to circulate your comments to all staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to Aurora Tower in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

The Oaks Aurora is in the heart of the central business district, a short walk from the river and about 15 minutes' stroll to the mall.

At the Oaks Aurora, you don't need to worry about over sleeping even though the alarm clocks don't work. You'll be up with the birds because the blinds are the broken vertical Venetian type with missing slats. You can be sure that environmental concerns are taken to heart, with families of four offered a generous TWO towels. Our hand basin was the kind that saves water by not draining (special clogged-with-hair plumbing on closer inspection).

Business travelers don't need to worry about distractions from the TV, whose Foxtel connection provides access only to the Home Shopping Network. All other channels including free to air ones are blocked. In fact you don't even need to worry about distractions from basic human needs – toilets are provided but toilet paper is BYO.

Families are in for a special treat. We booked a king bed suite to accommodate an infant and were greeted with a regular double. Our kind hosts were able to arrange an upgrade to a king suite in only 18 hours, despite initial assurances that the building did not contain any king beds. It took only three more hours for the two reception staff to arrange for the second bedroom to be unlocked. Not bad given their complaint of being the 60-ish storey building's only staff (house-keeping is an external service). The common areas are seemingly un-air conditioned.

The building does have lovely views over the Brisbane river and a nice hot tub by the pool on the roof of the 7th floor. Once you get the right room the beds are comfortable and the rooms clean. The staff, though inept were friendly. All of which is pretty feint praise for $230+ a night.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Steven C
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. As dissapointing as it was to learn that your stay was not ideal please rest assured that we've made considerable improvements since your stay which include but are not limited to significant upgrades to the accommodation, namely paint, carpet, curtains and furniture. If by chance you're visiting Brisbane again in the future and can see it in your heart to stay at Oaks Aurora again, please contact myself direct on email hmaurora@theoaksgroup.com.au so I can personally manage your reservation. Thank you again.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here with my family in October while we attended a wedding. We got the two bedroom suite which was great. The apartment was very large, modern and clean. it had a wonderful balcony that faced out to the Story Bridge. The location is fabulous. Only a short walk to Queen Street Mall! The full equipped kitchen was great for breakfast, as we didn't have to go out and spend money on this. The pool in the complex was also great for the hot days. The only downfall was the elevator which took soooo long to come, especially in the morning on the weekend. And the Internet is super expensive, but this seems to be an Australia hotel wide issue!
I would definitely recommend this place, especially for families who need more space.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KaratheTravelAgent

Thank you very much for your positive feedback in relation to your recent stay at Aurora Tower. We really appreciate your kind words. I apologise if you found the internet access expensive. Please rest assured our charges are similar to those our competitors. We look forward to welcoming you back to Aurora Tower in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a hotel that is half owned units. If some of the owned ones are not being used the hotel can sublease for owners. The rooms are very sparsely decorated. They are supposed to be fully self contained, ours had one glass, no spare towels and most of all no curtains.
Room 161 is within meters of a major office with all the daytime works getting a full view into your apartment.
Lifts are very slow and ofeten so full when they arrive you have to wait for next one.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tim J

Thank you for feedback in relation to your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. it is dissapointing to hear your stay did not live up to your expectations. For the record, we're in the process of upgrading apartments at Oaks Aurora so as to lift the standard of the accommodation throughout the building. For the most part we'll be upgrading carpets, paint and window furnishings the latter of which will address the privacy issues you referred to in yuor review. Because all of the aparments in the building are individually owned by investors unfortunately there are a lot of variables at the moment in terms of furnishings and apartment fitouts otherwise, a problem we hope to have addressed shortly. Ordinarily Oaks is very strict when it comes to adhering to branding commitments and uniformity so please don't let your first impressions leave a negative picture of Oaks Aurora in your mind. I'm confident your next visit will be a much more enjoyable one. it goes without saying I would like to personally manage your reservation if you elect to stay with us again. Once again, thank your feedback. This has been very helpful.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Appalling does not even begin describe the apparent lack of standards at this inner city establishment. The staff at the front desk could learn a thing or two about customer service, although it would not make much of a difference to my rating of ZERO. Check out the photos ... the place is filthy and I had to sleep with my street clothes on ... bathroom covered in mould, probably without any cleaning for a good month or so, massive stains on carpet, bedsheets from the last century ! Queensland Health might like to investigate ... do not stay here ... I suggest you check out the Marriott just around the corner. They don't seem to have a problem with finding cleaners.

Room Tip: Book another hotel nearby.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business